Karkloof accommodation.

RaceFan

I've done a bit of googling and have looked through the Karkloof site but I'd like some first hand opinions please.

What are good places to stay for the race on the 7th Feb?

I'm traveling with a family of ladies. Camping is good but would need to have nice facilities.

TIA.

Edited by RaceFan

I stayed with these guys over December.

http://www.shaftongrange.co.za

Great couple that own and live in the house. En suite rooms, self catering... Shared kitchen.

Best part, it's about 500m from the Karkloof country club. Hop on the bike and ride there.

Must love dogs, they have 4 big dogs and 2 cats.

Nice stoep to unwind and have sundowners, not too far from howick if you need anything.

Shawswood backpackers is a relatively new establishment just after end of tar - pretty nice place.

Google Shawswood+ Howick and it comes up

+1 for Shawswood, they are just up the road from the country club as well.

You might have a problem trying to find accommodation for that weekend as the Midmar mile is on that same weekend and people flock to Howick.

Have a chat to Wendy at Shawswood and see what she can do for you (probably only camping).

Also chat to Nigel Hicks and Dave Drummond, I recall them saying something about camping at the event (probably at the country club).

Google Thistledown Country House - stayed there a few nights in Dec. Basic accomodation, but very pleasant. 

Shawswood backpackers is a relatively new establishment just after end of tar - pretty nice place.

Google Shawswood+ Howick and it comes up

yip..shawswood is next door to bushwillow.....2 brothers

Updated requirement from the wife. :) entertainment for primary school kids. A pool of sorts will do. :) Kids don't appreciate tranquility as much as we do.

Updated requirement from the wife. :) entertainment for primary school kids. A pool of sorts will do. :) Kids don't appreciate tranquility as much as we do.

Bushwillow has small swimming dam with tubes and another dam for fishing with fish a plenty

Nope - the road was pretty good to the main farmhouse. There are other cottages that are further out that require 4x4 though.

All these places are fully booked so far. Damn swimmers. :) camping looks like it's the only option.

There will be camping at the Karkloof Club.

They have ablution facilities but no power points as there are no specific camp sites as its just a field.

Will find out what the club is going to charge and will let okes know on here

The club is also looking to have burgers etc on sale in the afternoon/evening of the event so okes can chow there ... I will also check on the availablity of braai's etc. as im not sure what the club does in this regard