Seeding conundrum

Messier87

I am not a PPA member and my Stellenbosch Cycle Tour time was better than my goal. I do however see that that race got quite a penalty when it comes to seeding as it was an easy day. I will need more help to get to a realistic start group.

Would riding the Herald in PE and the 99er help to improve my seeding for the 2015 Argus? They are listed as 2016 seeding events, but I want to chase that elusive sub3 this year as I have a fairly good base and age is stalking me.

If these events will help, does anybody know at what % ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a PPA member and my Stellenbosch Cycle Tour time was better than my goal. I do however see that that race got quite a penalty when it comes to seeding as it was an easy day. I will need more help to get to a realistic start group.

Would riding the Herald in PE and the 99er help to improve my seeding for the 2015 Argus? They are listed as 2016 seeding events, but I want to chase that elusive sub3 this year as I have a fairly good base and age is stalking me.

Last year the 99er counted towards Argus seeding and it's index was 1.09 - but the index depends on conditions on the day so it will probably be different this year.

Don't know about the Herald.

Good luck with the Sub-3

PS - For next year I suggest doing the One Tonner - it's a great opportunity to boost your seeding.

My problem is the weighting of the events. As far as I understand an official seeding event can count 100%. General events are only 10%. And if I am not mistaken there are cases that can count 33% or 50%. This I am not sure of though.

And I am reluctant to travel all the way to the Herald if it is only going to count 10% for my 2015 Argus. It is quite drastic.

How do you know that the race got a penalty?

For Argus 2014 seeding they included a few of the Racetec timed 2014 races ass well.

I am hoping the same applies for Argus 2015. (I also need to do some work to improve my seeding)

Your best bet would be to do the 99er- since you are not a PPA member you would have a useless seeding when doing the PPA race- Bouckhaert, Stellenbosch and tour de PPA, and thus it would be very difficult to post a good time.

Official seeding events (list on the website) counts up to 100% and the other racetec timed road and mountain bike races can count up to 34%.

Back in the day it was only 10% a race and I hardly do more than 4 races in a year, hence I stopped joining PPA some years ago...

And now - What a surprise! They count all events up to 34%!

I've just joined the PPA (pro-rata rates from Jan is R155). The Paarl ride with a reasonable start group could help at 34% weighting.

dude i started before 7am at the argus, the first couple of km going up the hill crams everyone together no chance to race, sit back relax and enjoy it.

Back in the day it was only 10% a race and I hardly do more than 4 races in a year, hence I stopped joining PPA some years ago...

I've just joined the PPA (pro-rata rates from Jan is R155). The Paarl ride with a reasonable start group could help at 34% weighting.

You can now check what PPA seeding they will give you on the website here:

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/index.php/results-seeding/seeding/seeding-lookup/

Then this will give you an approximate of where you will be in the Argus.

Once you are active on PPA's website you can go to this page to lookup what PPA seeding you qualify for .

(this is not your Argus seeding but it would give you an indication)

Edit

It seems Pure Savage is a couple of min faster than me!!

Edited by Pooyan

You can now check what PPA seeding they will give you on the website here:

Then this will give you an approximate of where you will be in the Argus.

Yip - that there is the main problem. It tells me the likelihood of reaching a sub3 from my current start group is very slim. I hope I can rectify the situation (sort of) with Bouckaert-Soenen, Porcupine Ridge MTB Challenge and 99'er. That is about as much of a chance as one will get in Cape Town at this stage.

Something to consider.

PPA / Racetec is only concerned about seeding Road races this time of the year. And focus on MTB seeding more in the winter months.

I would guess that if you do the Porcupine Ridge that there is a big change that the seeding for this race would only be included after the Argus. (Last year they included 99er Road race but not the 99er MTB race for Argus seeding).

I have include a pic of how my GF Argus seeding were computed for Argus 2014.

Also a Pic of Ride index (in brackets) and start groups for 2014 Argus

post-53717-0-82339700-1420704314_thumb.png

post-53717-0-59317200-1420704332_thumb.png

Edited by Pooyan

(Last year they included 99er Road race but not the 99er MTB race for Argus seeding).

I will try and find out if this will be the case. If it is not included I might still consider the Herald in PE...