Coming to SA (Buddy system)

AIRMAVRICK

Good Afternoon Hubbers,

My wife and I will be coming to visit SA early Feb (7th) and I was wondering if there might  be a small market who would be interested in me bringing some small items back from the USA.

This,  is more of an idea and if there are a few people interested in it. I will do it. 

Lets be frank, it is more of a honesty system and only small items to be purchased. (something like a buddy bringing some stuff over)

Transaction:

You order the item online and pay for it.

Have it delivered to my address in the US and I will bring it with me.

Arrange one meeting point at a specific time, maybe a coffee shop which is neutral for everyone.  

Hand over small articles. I was thinking of charging a handling fee of say R50.00

I also think I could maybe help say 10 hubbers!  

Let me know of your thoughts and any ideas to make this idea a reality.

Mat

ah! just ordered a part from the US and payed more in shipping than for the part...

which part of sa are you visiting?

Edited by Daniel J Méssem

ah! just ordered a part from the US and payed more in shipping than for the part...

which part of sa are you visiting?

sorry, I will be in Johannesburg and PTA. will try and find a common ground to meet with all buyers.  

Guest DieBees

Mmm... I see red lights flashing. No offence intended to OP.

Yeah if you're stopped at customs you run the risk of having your stuff confiscated, or you pay a penalty on top of the customs.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

@Sidewinder As mentioned just trying to help out fellow hubbers

It is illegal if I try to go over my duty free allowance, but If I'm not mistaken I'm allowed to bring up to R5000.00 new/used products? 

http://www.sars.gov.za/ClientSegments/Customs-Excise/Travellers/Pages/Arrival-in-SA.aspx

So I have about R10 000.00 to play with between my wife and I? Please let me know if I have missed something.

Thanks   

Not uncommon practice....

We have a small community running like this for the past 15 years. Our other swop members living in Australia, Turkey, Spain, Sweden Korea & USA.

Since the invoices for the items gets delivered to the address you have a correct valuation and might be in for VAT and duties.

Worst case is your stuff getting lost and people getting upset with one another.

Not uncommon practice....

We have a small community running like this for the past 15 years. Our other swop members living in Australia, Turkey, Spain, Sweden Korea & USA.

Since the invoices for the items gets delivered to the address you have a correct valuation and might be in for VAT and duties.

Worst case is your stuff getting lost and people getting upset with one another.

Agree, but as mentioned I have a R5000.00 pp Duty free limit,. so VAT and duties should not apply.