Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

The old way was meant to be killed off years ago. But the communications department didn't get it right. I suppose they need analogue for electioneering.

There was a huge project around going digital, and they had all sorts of fancy engineers out here costing an absolute fortune who were just sitting twiddling their thumbs because of politics.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an Apple Tv for a while now, but not fully utilised, have now decided to can DSTV. I have done the Unotelly dns upgrade but still no Hulu on the Apple tv, do I have to change my ITunes account to a US one? how does one get around the address and card questions? I will also need another device for the kids tv, should I get another Apple tv or a roku instead?

Had an Apple Tv for a while now, but not fully utilised, have now decided to can DSTV. I have done the Unotelly dns upgrade but still no Hulu on the Apple tv, do I have to change my ITunes account to a US one? how does one get around the address and card questions? I will also need another device for the kids tv, should I get another Apple tv or a roku instead?

ATV is fine, you do need to change to a US store though. Google an address in the US and use those details to sign up. You dont need to put in credit card details. 

Bugger, accepts the adress but declined my card, wouldn't take no card [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugger, accepts the adress but declined my card, wouldn't take no card [emoji15]

Should I just create a separate account just for the atv?

Edited by Mpati29

Not desperate enough for SABC to buy a decoder!

Did you have dstv? Cos you can pay like 5 bucks a month and get all the free to air stuff

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

The old way was meant to be killed off years ago. But the communications department didn't get it right. I suppose they need analogue for electioneering.

Don't laugh but we've still got analogue and mnet analogue! The family watches Grey's and all that crud on there and are quite happy. Resolution is not that crappy and fine for the odd sports I watch.. But mostly we all watch through the roku and predominantly BBC I player and Netflix and Plex for my own content.

Did you have dstv? Cos you can pay like 5 bucks a month and get all the free to air stuff

DSTV has an Easy View option at R29 a month for the free to air stuff with a few add ons like StupidSport Blitz and the religious channels. Which is more than the TV Licence fee.

ATV is fine, you do need to change to a US store though. Google an address in the US and use those details to sign up. You dont need to put in credit card details. 

Hi R-B. Thanks for the advice, don't seem to have any luck as they want that damned credit card, any suggestions?

Hi R-B. Thanks for the advice, don't seem to have any luck as they want that damned credit card, any suggestions?

It's all in the billing address.

Use your actual street billing address for the 1st line of the billing address.

Look up your SA post code, but add a trailing zero, to find the town and state in US that matches.

Use that town and state together with your SA post code with trailing zero as town and post code.

Works if your DNS server points to a US server which Unotelly or like would be doing already,

Thanks, it accepts the address, used Santa Cruz [emoji48], my problem is the payment part which it insists on. Will try again when I get home. Probably going to pull the trigger on a Roku 3 for the main TV and put the apple with the kids

Thanks, it accepts the address, used Santa Cruz [emoji48], my problem is the payment part which it insists on. Will try again when I get home. Probably going to pull the trigger on a Roku 3 for the main TV and put the apple with the kids

Use vouchers to do payments if you ever need to do payments. You can buy the vouchers with a SA credit card but they are for the US store only. 

• 2 weeks later...

Use vouchers to do payments if you ever need to do payments. You can buy the vouchers with a SA credit card but they are for the US store only. 

Or use PayPay to buy $10 credit in your U.S. account.

They did the same with the Rii wireless keyboard..... there one day, gone the next.....