Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

DSTV/Multichoice pretends to fight back with better content and fewer repeats.

http://www.channel24.co.za/TV/News/you-complained-about-dstv-repeats-and-they-answered-20161206

Interestingly DSTV has changed their online offering over the past 5 or 6 weeks, dropped Flash and moved to HTML5. The Desktop player has been canned so it is no longer possible to download shows and watch later. At work and play them at home?

But real issues with live sports streaming. It is impossible to watch an EPL game live without buffering or losing the feed completely when on now.dstv.com while watching on supersport.com is no longer an option. Most of the live feeds just do not load.

Oh, and I bought an Amazon Fire TV. I think that's what it's called. I look forward to plugging it in in a few weeks time and being able to see a bit more British drama as that's not on any of the streaming sites I use.

Plentiful through kodi and the plugins you get for it....

I've just stopped using watchfree.to and such other web based stuff in favour of Netflix and kodi. So much simpler

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In principle I'm not paying $11.99 to Netflix for the watered down SA DSTV dictated offering. Prefer Hulu anyway as more current stuff on it. Bought Amazon Prime as I saved a shedload of delivery fees by doing that.

Ans in principle Showmax is a non starter in my home. Again it's the DSTV link.

• 2 weeks later...

no brainer..stop downloading too..just stream

get yourself any android box. I use the following

Kindle Fire Stick

Kodi (Loaded with exodus...and many other like spekto, ZEM, ustvnow etc etc)

BBC iplayer, channel 4 and ITV hub (running through getflix)

Mobdro for sport

There is nothing that I cannot watch

I have 10Mbps unlimited and can watch HD

Stretch, my Fire TV has arrived but now I'm stuck with a noob problem. When browsing I see Prime is offered to me as TV to watch while abroad. I set the DNS to Unotelly which works on my PC and Smart TV but does not appear to be working on the Amazon Fire TV. Country in amazon account settings in set to US.

Any suggestions?

Stretch, my Fire TV has arrived but now I'm stuck with a noob problem. When browsing I see Prime is offered to me as TV to watch while abroad. I set the DNS to Unotelly which works on my PC and Smart TV but does not appear to be working on the Amazon Fire TV. Country in amazon account settings in set to US.

Any suggestions?

It also restricts you based upon the location of your credit card. Real pain in the arse. You have to go through a few hoops to get your device to consider itself whatever your unotelly is set as. One of the hoops is temporarily removing your credit card details from Amazon and setting your address and location in Amazon as us or UK .... Whichever you want. I am not sure prime content is Geo restricted though Edited by Stretch

Any suggestions?

set up a paypal account with a fake us address for Hulu (google fake usa address) Use a VPN when setting up amazon, change billing address to a fake one.  You have a few areas to change the billing address so look carefully 

Edited by dillon

set up a paypal account with a fake us address for Hulu (google fake usa address) Use a VPN when setting up amazon, change billing address to a fake one.  You have a few areas to change the billing address so look carefully 

I sorted Hulu ages ago, it works with no problems on the Fire TV, Smart TV and PC in DNS set to unotelly. No amazon content available despite US address and US credit card. In devices country is set to US, in payment country is set to US, in delivery country is set to US. Next I'll remove all SA cards from payment system.

Unotelly has an acknowledged problem with Fire TV DNS set on the unit so I'll try another DNS/VPN server when the weather turns non beach weather in the Cape.

I sorted Hulu ages ago, it works with no problems on the Fire TV, Smart TV and PC in DNS set to unotelly. No amazon content available despite US address and US credit card. In devices country is set to US, in payment country is set to US, in delivery country is set to US. Next I'll remove all SA cards from payment system.

Unotelly has an acknowledged problem with Fire TV DNS set on the unit so I'll try another DNS/VPN server when the weather turns non beach weather in the Cape.

Try Getflix, they are pretty good.

I'm also using Getflix with my DiscoCard - no problems with Hulu, recurring card transaction went off an hour ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Followed all the great advice from hubbers. Thanks. Up and running with UK TV as well as as much US TV as I can watch.

The Fire TV is fantastic, so much better than combo of smart TV and PC.

Relatively simple questions this time. 

Is their a BBCiPlayer that is not phone/tablet based and works with the remote on the Fire TV rather than only with a mouse?

Has anyone been able to load DSTV android app on Fire TV or Roku?

There is a bbc iPlayer app on the Amazon app store.. Or you can side load the BBC I player android app.... You have to remove a SA credit card from your Amazon account and set your location as UK to get it from the Amazon app store.

Dstv android app doesn't work on the fire tv

Hi guys,

Bought a brand spanking new apple TV4. I do have getflix to access international content. However, whenever i try to sign-up for some service like Sling TV or Hulu, it asks for a zip code during the payment info section. I then enter my SA card details with a valid US zip but get an error message saying that only US issued cards are accepted (as expected). Is there a way around this? Some mentioning Discovery card works but you must still enter a zip code i assume?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Krynauw.

Hi guys,

Bought a brand spanking new apple TV4. I do have getflix to access international content. However, whenever i try to sign-up for some service like Sling TV or Hulu, it asks for a zip code during the payment info section. I then enter my SA card details with a valid US zip but get an error message saying that only US issued cards are accepted (as expected). Is there a way around this? Some mentioning Discovery card works but you must still enter a zip code i assume?

Krynauw.

I have a Roku3 with a U.K. subscription. The Hulu channel is billed through my Roku3 account and billed to my DiscoveryCard.

Also using Getflix for the VPN.

Edit:

my fake address is actually my brother's address (UK) while the US address is a friend's

Edited by geraldm24

Hi guys,

Krynauw.

I had the same problem, but I then got myself a virtual CC and bought 3 month Hulu subscription on a gaming website.