Heart rate monitors/Gps Hrm's

Jackb

Hi Hubbers

Im interested in getting myself a heart rate monitor or gps heart rate monitor. I want to get something that isn't over the top expensive but not too cheap. I'm trying to get back into mountain biking after being in a bad car accident and want to get my fitness back to where it was. Would i be able to record the below (1 & 2) info on just a normal HRM or would I need a GPS/HRM

My price range is from R1500-R3000

1. Do HRM offer a function that sends out a signal for when one is pushing too hard? (Heart rate too high)

2. I would also like to get something that gives me the option to send the info to strava if possible?

I'm interested in the Garmin 500 and the Polar Rcx3.

Can anyone suggest a suitable HRM or GPS HRM?

Many thanks

Edited by Jackb

Edge 500 FTW!!! brilliant piece of kit and easily fits in your pocket if you gym/jog/cross train. Find a friend whos got momentum multiply points and get it dirt cheap, like under R2800 depending on their discount level for the bundle.

you cant go wrong with the 500 :clap:

Hi Hubbers

1. Do HRM offer a function that sends out a signal for when one is pushing too hard? (Heart rate too high)

The idea that there is such a thing as pushing too hard and  a Heart Rate too high is nonsense. A healthy person cannot damage himself by pushing too hard.  The pain, effort and stress of working too hard will cause you to slow down. Working at high heart rates will lift the pain threshold so next time it is a bit easier.

Also have a look at the Sigma Rox 10 - got mine for R2460 with HRM and cadence from CWC last September.

Tom

Polar. Only eight years old but my 725X has only been a joy and I wear it as my everyday watch.

I've bought Wahoo TICKR Hrm monitor. Its got  Bluetooth and ANT compatibility. I specifically bought it because I wanted something to work with my iphone for when I go and spin in the gym and to work with a my GPS. I'll definitely recommend although its a bit pricey at $59 but since it serve a dual purpose for me its well worth. 

I have both the Polar RCX3 and the garmin 510 (had a 500 that I sold after getting the 510). I like the garmin user interface opposed to Polar's. The polar is nice if you run as well or like to monitor your gym sessions.

The differences between the 500 and 510 are:

510 has touch screen, colour, route tracking on screen, it syncs via live track with your phone, so my wife can track me while I am out riding, Uploads rides via my cell phone to garmin connect site

I prefer cycling with the garmin because:

Bigger screen and I can set up the display to suite my info needs.

The polar GPS dongle thingy is not as accurate as the garmin

The RCX3 does not offer altitude info while riding (its handy, particularly in a race, to know how much climbing is left).

I steered clear from Bryton and lesser known brands as I have had excellent service from Garmin when my first edge 500 malfunctioned after 18 months. They swapped it out for a new one, no questions asked.

It all depends on your exact needs which would work better for you.