Review: 2015 Giant Trance 2

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Niiiiice review,good to see that SLX is getting some recognition and it can take on the upper end of the components market.

I still ride the 2014 model with some upgrades to sharpen it. Managed a podium on this weekends Fast One (in the 40km granddad's category so this is no big deal). I ascribe this largely to the suspension which was ideal for some of the rougher sections of the route, as well as the roller coaster sections which saw shorter travel riders having to stand. The bike was noticeably faster on these sections than my previous Anthem was. Used 'Spez' 2Bliss Ground Control tyre on the front and Mavic Roam on the rear. The Spez is really special and at R470 it is a good price. Weekend warriors no longer need to buy a 4" racing frame - the Trance does it all!

Great review. Love my 2015 trance. The anthem is gathering cobwebs at the moment. Mine has a few upgrades , but nothing wrong with the stock components. Definitely recommend the trance.

I put a Hans Dampf 2.35 tyre on the front and it has made a world of difference. The Nobby Nic on the front made the bike feel like it wanted to go in it's own direction where the new tyre is a lot more controllable. I'm still amazed at how well this bike climbs, especially on very technical climbs with loads of loose rocks. If you're a bit adventurous and want to have more fun on your bike, then get a Trance!

Definitely the wrong forum but...

I am wanting to get a MTB this year. Being a roadie only until now makes choosing a bike quite interesting. Forgive my MTB ignorance but what is the difference between the Trance, the Anthem and the Scott Spark, (other than the names of course)? At this stage I think I want a pretty all-round bike but I am quite confused. I don't understand the differences at to Trail, XC, Enduro. I thought it was all just mountain biking - obviously its not that simple!

Edited by BDF

Is it not a bit on the heavy side?

Large frame with shock (obviously), headset &142mm x 12mm rear through bolt = 2.9kg

Mine weighed in at just over 14kg with a burly setup.

Pike

Hope hubs with Spank Subrosa  rims & 2.3 tyres

dropper

765mm bars & AM stem

It rides much lighter than the weight suggests.

These bikes really excel when the going gets rough.

You can pedal it through sections shorter travel bikes wants to coast through.

The Maestro suspension has amazing small bump compliance.

Definitely the wrong forum but...

I am wanting to get a MTB this year. Being a roadie only until now makes choosing a bike quite interesting. Forgive my MTB ignorance but what is the difference between the Trance, the Anthem and the Scott Spark, (other than the names of course)? At this stage I think I want a pretty all-round bike but I am quite confused. I don't understand the differences at to Trail, XC, Enduro. I thought it was all just mountain biking - obviously its not that simple!

Anthem is a dual-suspension XC bike, which means it has shorter suspension travel and more aggressive geometry (i.e. steeper headangle, etc.). The Scott Spark is the same type of bike as the Anthem. 

Trance is a dual-suspension trail bike, which means it has longer suspension travel and "easier" geometry (i.e. slacker headangle, etc.). This type of bike is best suited to more aggressive riding and isn't on an all-out mission for speed. It's the more fun bike for everyday riding. 

Good review... no mention of the performance of the wheelset though.

Will add some thoughts later today.

Awesome bikes but does it blend?

It does. If by blending you mean rip the trails.

Awesome review, is this a unisex bike?

Yes

Is it not a bit on the heavy side?

IF my memory serves me right then it weighed in at 13.25kg. 600g less than the Merida One-Forty we had on test.

It does ride lighter than the figure suggests even though quite a bit of that "extra" weight sits in it's wheelset. 

Edited by Iwan Kemp