Review: 2015 Giant Trance 2

Iwan Kemp

Anthem is a dual-suspension XC bike, which means it has shorter suspension travel and more aggressive geometry (i.e. steeper headangle, etc.). The Scott Spark is the same type of bike as the Anthem. 

Trance is a dual-suspension trail bike, which means it has longer suspension travel and "easier" geometry (i.e. slacker headangle, etc.). This type of bike is best suited to more aggressive riding and isn't on an all-out mission for speed. It's the more fun bike for everyday riding. 

I'd disagree ith you on the Spark. I'd say the spark is by far and away a more aggressive XC only bike. Although I HAVE seen one with the seat slammed low and used as a trail bike, but that was a bit strange.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd disagree ith you on the Spark. I'd say the spark is by far and away a more aggressive XC only bike. Although I HAVE seen one with the seat slammed low and used as a trail bike, but that was a bit strange.

I'm going to disagree with you disagreeing and then disagree with me disagreeing with your disagreeing and agree with you.

The Disagree Part

In terms of geometry the Spark has a slacker head angle (71.5 vs 70 high and 69.5 low setting) and shorter chainstays (462 vs 448) so should make it more fun out the trails.

The Agree Part

The sum of the Anthem's parts just WORKS and the suspension lends itself to fun on the trails without sacrificing any speed or efficiency. Would love to try both out on some local trails one lazy Saturday afternoon.

I'm going to disagree with you disagreeing and then disagree with me disagreeing with your disagreeing and agree with you.

The Disagree Part

In terms of geometry the Spark has a slacker head angle (71.5 vs 70 high and 69.5 low setting) and shorter chainstays (462 vs 448) so should make it more fun out the trails.

The Agree Part

The sum of the Anthem's parts just WORKS and the suspension lends itself to fun on the trails without sacrificing any speed or efficiency. Would love to try both out on some local trails one lazy Saturday afternoon.

Yeah, I know. And it's one of those things that just defies the numbers.

But - I reckon it's solely as a result of their STUPID rear suspension design, and the fact that it's either locked out, or locked out, or... yeah, you get what I mean. The Twinloc thing is a BENEFIT!?

But yes. On the numbers - the Scott should be the more fun bike. But I firmly believe that the Anthem is more capable, due to the suspension design.

Does the new anthem come stock with a 120mm fork? I noticed it also has a slacker head compared to previous models. Possibly a lower bb as well? Its not an out an out xc bike anymore is it? Is Giant pushing their dual suspension bikes to be more trail orientated? It seems like a trend these days. It's as if the new anthem is the old trance and the new trance is the old reign.

Does the new anthem come stock with a 120mm fork? I noticed it also has a slacker head compared to previous models. Possibly a lower bb as well? Its not an out an out xc bike anymore is it? Is Giant pushing their dual suspension bikes to be more trail orientated? It seems like a trend these days. It's as if the new anthem is the old trance and the new trance is the old reign.

Anthem SX comes with a 120mm fork...  Exactly the same frame as a normal anthem, just with a bigger fork. So, it would be a slightly relaxed head angle and a slightly higher BB from what is considered a "normal" anthem.

Change the fork to a Pike and upgrade the tyres and wheelset to something lighter, wider and faster(engagement) and you will have a great bike.

Change the fork to a Pike and upgrade the tyres and wheelset to something lighter, wider and faster(engagement) and you will have a great bike.

Just say again, how much does the Pike weigh and how much does it cost?

Probably. Either way, you can use an Anthem or Spark for trail riding, if you wish. It just won't be the tool most suited to the task. 

"The Trance's head angle has been slackened from 69.5 to 67 degrees ....."

I don't get it, the 2014 also had a 67 degree HA

This is how you do it :) weighs in at about 13.1kg according to my bathroom scale. will probably add a Giant dropper this week. unless any one a better suggestion ?

attachicon.gif20150106_145605_resized.jpg

Yes and that make it around 13.7kg fully kitted. not bad. but then you add Snake Skin 2.35 or 2.4 tyres and it gets heavier again. my Hans Dampf SS 2.35 weighed around 750g each  - Unless you are keeping those NN's? They not too grippy.... I however am not sure about the weight difference between a Fox for and the Rockshox they come with now or the Pike even...

Yes and that make it around 13.7kg fully kitted. not bad. but then you add Snake Skin 2.35 or 2.4 tyres and it gets heavier again. my Hans Dampf SS 2.35 weighed around 750g each  - Unless you are keeping those NN's? They not too grippy.... I however am not sure about the weight difference between a Fox for and the Rockshox they come with now or the Pike even...

To be honest , so far I've had no probs with the stock NN.. running them tubeless, they sealed well . Maybe the Hans will have better grip but so far I haven felt the need. Where else can I drop some weight ? 1x 10? carbon bars ?

"The Trance's head angle has been slackened from 69.5 to 67 degrees ....."

I don't get it, the 2014 also had a 67 degree HA

He was running a commentary on the change in recent years. The top tube, the head angle, the seat tube angle etc.

There is only a 74grams difference between the Revelation and the Pike but price is more than a revelation but you are getting a awesome fork in the Pike

Just say again, how much does the Pike weigh and how much does it cost?

somwhere between 1,8 - 1.86 kg vs 1,96 kg for the fox evolution. It is bloody expensive though but you get what you pay for. I still reckon it`s worth the upgrade as my experience with the maestro suspension has always been that the fork always ends up as the weakest link.