Snow Epic: Race 1 Results and Pictures

News bot

Um. Do I have to be the first to point out that none of those fat bikes appear to be on soft snow, that looks like the snow equivalent of hard pack dirt. Pretty sure you could ride that sort of thing with a set of ice tyres like the schwalbe ice spikers and a normal bike. Show me some terrain that actually requires one of those absurd machines and then I'll pay attention. To be fair though I don't know the first thing about fat biking and riding in the snow. It looks like a beautiful place but if I spent all that money getting there I'd be a bit bummed if I didn't at least try and go skiing or snowboarding. *flamesuit on*

Um. Do I have to be the first to point out that none of those fat bikes appear to be on soft snow, that looks like the snow equivalent of hard pack dirt. Pretty sure you could ride that sort of thing with a set of ice tyres like the schwalbe ice spikers and a normal bike. Show me some terrain that actually requires one of those absurd machines and then I'll pay attention. To be fair though I don't know the first thing about fat biking and riding in the snow. It looks like a beautiful place but if I spent all that money getting there I'd be a bit bummed if I didn't at least try and go skiing or snowboarding. *flamesuit on*

They have had a lot less snow than normal for this time of the year, not much they can do about that.

It should change tonight, some snow forecasted tonight and tomorrow

post-182-0-76737400-1421417376_thumb.png

I don't think this is EPIC at all, more like a sunday stroll.bike iditiarod is where it's at

Agreed!!!

Is that because on the snow Epic you require some technical skills and the Cape Epic not?

Dunno what it is with Saffas, myself included. If you don't throw up or ride till you fall off your bike it's not really riding, we should learn to enjoy riding and not make everything a race or a " KAMP STAALDRAAD". The snow Epic and fatbikes for that matter to me is about having fun on your bike.

And BTW if event was held 2 weeks ago when it was -5 to -10 with half a meter of powder snow it would have been tough.

Is that because on the snow Epic you require some technical skills and the Cape Epic not?

Dunno what it is with Saffas, myself included. If you don't throw up or ride till you fall off your bike it's not really riding, we should learn to enjoy riding and not make everything a race or a " KAMP STAALDRAAD". The snow Epic and fatbikes for that matter to me is about having fun on your bike.

And BTW if event was held 2 weeks ago when it was -5 to -10 with half a meter of powder snow it would have been tough.

I agree 100%. I have just bought one of these 'stupid' bikes and I am having the time of my life on it.

Rolling in those temps are not easy hey

The body takes quite a beating

Nice pic of Jakes'