D2D Punctures

Jedi

Rode 104km and lucky no punctures but...

I am a lady rider and new to the sport.  I am learning to changes tubes but the back wheel is a bit of a problem with the cog, gears and chain etc.

What is the procedure with getting help.  Do you just wait with your bike on the side of the road for the sweep car or must you phone them on your cell.  How do you let them know you need help.

Also, sorry to any better riders if I got in their way on the road.  I was trying to stay out of trouble when I say all the people that had punctured so I was trying to stay away from the kerb where all the stones, etc. are.  Apologies if I caused a problem for anyone.  It was definitely not my intention

Hi Jedi and welcome to the Hub (if no-ones's beaten me to it!)

As a lady rider, I've also lent heavily on my male counterparts for help in the past. But your best bet is to become independant. I believe in being as low maintenance to my friends as possible, and that means learning how to sort out the basics on my own bike.

Where do you stay? slowpoke and I (both ladies) live near Northgate and ride together often. We also ride with amateur (also a lady) and we have some great rides. Why don't you join us for a ride and we can help you with some basic maintenance as well?

An Idea for you ladies who hope somebody is going to stop and fix your tube,  its called slime.  And the bike shops will help you put it in.  Otherwise learn how to repace a tube, its part of the sport we all hate doing it but that life.  Enjoy your cycling and many happy punctureless rides.

Hi Jedi

MichH is right, come ride with us we have lots of fun.

I can change a tube but I am very slow in doing so, so I opted to buying tubes that are maybe a mm thiker than normal tubes. They are made by Kenda and are about R40 each. I have had them on for almost a year now and not one puncture!!!!

Now I know I'll get blasted by the weight fundie's about the extra weight but the reality is that those extra grams might make me a couple of minutes slower overall, whereas taking 15 mins to change a tube is alot worse ........ besides I'm not planning to kick cherry's butt any time soon. (maybe like in my next lifetime)LOL SO till then I'm happy to have those extra few grams and pass all the guys hectically fixing puntures. (Granted they will pass me again once they have fixed it)Confused

I got a puncture after 90km in the middle of no where, just as the attacks started.

Landed up doing the final 81km on my own, legs were tired and I was tired.

A nice guy did stop and give me a spare wheel, but the bunch was already almost out of sight!

With regard to Punctures I have found the two biggest factors are:

1) Inflate your tyres to close to the maximum recommended pressures.

2) Don't let the tyre get too worn down, once the rubber starts getting nicks in it punctures follow soon afterwards. Swap the tyre and keep it for training rides or use it on the trainer.

With regard to Punctures I have found the two biggest factors are:

1) Inflate your tyres to close to the maximum recommended pressures.

2) Don't let the tyre get too worn down' date=' once the rubber starts getting nicks in it punctures follow soon afterwards. Swap the tyre and keep it for training rides or use it on the trainer.

[/quote']

inflate your tyres until they blow up to give epoh the fright of his life Tongue I wont forget that heh!

I am using slime in my tyres.  But I really want to know about the sweep car.  What if i want to abandon the race?  Just how many people with their bikes can this car pick up?  Is the car only right at the back of the field or are there cars riding up and down the field all the time for guys that want to abandon for whatever reason?  Yesterday I found myself in the middle of nowhere riding on my own (not yet experienced enough to get with a bunch) and I just prayed like hell that I wouldn't get a puncture.  As a matter of interest, has anybody heard of a Permatube?

inflate your tyres until they blow up to give epoh the fright of his life Tongue I wont forget that heh!

LOLLOLLOL

Well at least you were awake for the start of the race Tongue

there should be a company who offers puncture repairs or tubes to cyclists during races.

should have a couple of quads with boxes of tubes on back who follow groups out and if puncture happens they change it and you on your way and you pay later! how cool would that be?

i rate someone should do that?

Great idea - just like you can belong to the medical emergency and wear their armband when you cycle, maybe a mechanical team can start the same and those riders willing to take out "puncture/mechanical insurance" can be tended to during the race. I would be willing to pay a bit more for the added convenience and safety.  Those that don't want to have that kind of cover just don't have to pay.  It's OK for the guys when they puncture in the middle of nowhere.  They cope very well and their mind is on the job at hand, but it's a bit nerve-wracking for the ladies to have to try to change a tyre and look out for any "strange-looking folk" approaching at the same time.

yeah cause there is a new chip thats come out for the british army and they use it fir scout trips and stuff, they are activated by the user when needed and can be found via GPS.

so whe you take out that insurance, you could get one of these and when you get a pucnture you push it and they can pick you out and come change it for you!

yeah now all we need to do is find and adventure capitalist willing to fund this. or a company willing to do it!Big%20smile

But I really want to know about the sweep car.  What if i want to abandon the race?   Is the car only right at the back of the field or are there cars riding up and down the field all the time for guys that want to abandon for whatever reason?

had to make use of the sweep car once - was actually a flatbed truck and it managed to pick up a good amount of people with bikes everywhere!

this one followed the very last person in the race,  so i waited a good amount of time for them to arrive.  the other bad side to it was that they then follow the race and we only arrived at the end 5.5 hours later! 

then again this is way better than walking or being stranded in no-mans land constantly watching over your shoulder.

to have guys in quads follow the race with tubes etc. is a great idea - just like Mavic in the TDF.  Perhaps we can even get them to carry water / energy drinks.

dont some of the club vito's follow the race and help stranded clubmembers?

yep I do...

Helped about 30 people with punctures,

gave away 8 brand new tubes to people that didn't have anymore

and picked up 3 stranded cyclist and transported them back to finish.