Hi guys,

I need some help.

I have a mate coming from the UK in a few weeks time and am thinking of going riding together, but he wont be bringing his bike out for a few rides. So, looking to rent a mountain bike for him to use. 

Do you know of any places in Jhb that rent out bikes? Looking for something that isnt a PnP special but also doesnt have to be top end more than a car.

Thanks in advance.

I think Big Red Barn has some, but then you'd be limited to riding there, ok, that's more Pretoria, but not that far.

Edited by Lurch

Thanks for the link to Bike Life, Macros77.

Spoke to Stuart, he heads up their rental side and has what I am looking for. If anyone else is looking for a rental around jhb, can contact him on stuart@bikelife.co.za

He is also the guy behind the bikes at Red Barn and a few other places around the country. Think I will be looking at my next holiday as where they are so I don’t have to lug mine around.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

An update. i rented a bike from Stuart at Bike Life this weekend for my mate. Was an absolute pleasure. 

Was well worth it and had no issues / hassles / anything at all. 

I can definitely recommend it for anyone coming to Jhb that doesnt want to lug their bike around with them. 

Cheers.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

@Devlin

Any reason as to why Bike Life do not rent out bicycles anymore?

On that note where can you rent a MTB from these days?  i asked my local BS and they don't hire out, so if you know of a place let me know.

@Devlin

Any reason as to why Bike Life do not rent out bicycles anymore?

On that note where can you rent a MTB from these days?  i asked my local BS and they don't hire out, so if you know of a place let me know.

Please contact Phia at Dirt Merchant in Craighall, she might be able to help you. 011 326 4737

• 5 years later...
42 minutes ago, funcruiser said:

Hi all.. Now 2022... are there any places that hire out MTB's.. my son is visiting from NZ over Dec..

Try Bike Market.

45 minutes ago, funcruiser said:

Hi all.. Now 2022... are there any places that hire out MTB's.. my son is visiting from NZ over Dec..

How tall is he I can build something for him 😁

1 hour ago, funcruiser said:

I have a 26er medium you are welcome to use if you like. No charge, may just need a once over as hasnt been used for a bit.. Direct message me if it will help you and you want to use it.

Thank you so much for your kind offer..I think a medium will be a touch small he is 6'3"..but if all else fails ...Thanks again...

8 hours ago, funcruiser said:

Thank you so much for your kind offer..I think a medium will be a touch small he is 6'3"..but if all else fails ...Thanks again...

Hi, I might have a solution

at 6'3" that would put him on a XL frame.

I have 2 XL Hard Tail Bikes , Old School 26 V-Brake Scott Yacora and Momsen 529  29er 

I would need a deposit to the value of the bike, which would be fully refundable if you return the bike in the same condition as you got it.

• If the bike is stolen form your possession then you will forfeit your deposit 
  • If the bike components are damaged, I will deduct the price of replacement parts (Second Hand - Like for like) 
  • If the frame is Dented, Bent , or Cracked ,I will deduct the the second hand value from your deposit 
  • If it has a scratch or 2 more, from being dropped or from from the bike rack, I will not be bothered.

This is meant to anchorage you (or your son) to enjoy the bike , ride with in your capability, and treat it as you if you owned it. 

Both bikes are more that capable of doing 100km of gravel riding or 10-60km of riding at Northern Farms, Cycle Lab Bike Park,

26 V-Brake deposit would be R4000

Momsen 29er Deposit would be R9000

This offer is not intended for me to make money, but more to enable you and your son to enjoy this great sport on some decent, well maintained equipment.

I am based in Broadacres Fourways, you would need to collect and return the bike here. 

DM me if you are interested..

• 1 year later...

Anyone other than bike market who rents at the moment? (they are short on stock) I'm looking for a 58cm gravel bike, or perhaps a hardtail if I don't come right on #1.