Clip On Bike Rack

Megan Riley

Hi,

I'd like to find out what people's experiences have been with clip on bike racks in terms of damaging your car. I have a Mini Cooper and don't want to put a tow bar on. Any advice/tips for choosing the best bike rack brand and minimizing scratching would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Megan

I use my Buzzrack Mosquito a lot and I have no damages.  You just need to be carefull that your pedals don't scratch your car.  Just look what you are doing.  Also, clean your car where you are intended to mount the rack.  The dust between your rack and car may scratch the paintwork.

I have a hatchback and went with the Thule passage 3 strap on bike rack. Havent had any scratches thus far but as with anything you need to check. So no part of the bik touching car and as the previous post says, ensure the car is clean.

Thanks guys...so as I understand it, the bike scratches the car more than the actual bike rack (given that I've cleaned my car)?

I have a Thule Clip-on and I love it. Take an old inner tube and cut it into squares to place between the clips and the car's body. As mentioned, watch out for pedals scratching the car - use a pool noodle.