Thule Euroride2 914 - not for 2 MTB's ??

Wolf Lyle

So about 6 months ago I took the plunge and bought a tow bar and a Thule 914 2 bike rack. As you all know these racks aren't cheap, but thought at least I wont go wrong with a Thule..

Well this weekend I attempted to Load a second bike for the first time.... I could not for the life of me get 2 MTB's on my bike rack designed to hold 2 bikes... at lease not without them both getting scratched to $#$%#^

Am I being a moron? is there a trick to this? or should I have bought a 3 bike version ??

Sadly, I think this is just how it is...

I have the more expensive Euroway G2 3-bike, and 2 bikes fit comfortably. I say "comfortably" because the outboard bike's bars already just-just touch the inboard bike's seatpost, potentially a problem with a dropper post. I don't think 3 bikes would be anything less than a mission to get on, and the G2 is supposedly spaced farther apart than the Euroride!

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Sadly, I think this is just how it is...

I have the more expensive Euroway G2 3-bike, and 2 bikes fit comfortably. I say "comfortably" because the outboard bike's bars already just-just touch the inboard bike's seatpost, potentially a problem with a dropper post. I don't think 3 bikes would be anything less than a mission to get on, and the G2 is supposedly spaced farther apart than the Euroride!

I have yet to try fit 3 bikes on mine as well. I think it will take a lot of dropping of seat posts and pool noodles but I can't imagine it can't be done, just not as easily as the marketing videos make it out to be.

IMO all racks are flawed in this way. I have a Menabo platform rack, and I had to modify it a bit to prevent our two bikes from ravaging each other. I still have to add the odd padding here and there.

Strange thing is, that my girlfriend's bike has always damaged my more expensive bike.........sucks.

I drilled additional holes to space out the tracks a bit further apart, I do not know if it would work on yours. Also your warranty will be no more, I do not care for that much as I strap my bikes to my roof rails in case of a structural failure.  :lol:

I often ride with my wife and her dad and we are able to get all three of our mtb's on his Thule rack. It did some time to work out how to get them to fit but no we know and it takes a few minutes to get them on. 

Wife's dropper post must be down, my saddle comes off and one small piece of padding is needed for the one spot where they rub.

I have the same bike rack and can fit my FS 29er and wife's HT 27.5" on it (like droo said, think Tetris).

The bikes need to face opposite directions, with the handlebars/saddles just about touching each other. Also take note of the cassette and/or rear derailleur (bike 1) and/or fork (bike 2) when building this puzzle.

I use a pool noodle between the bikes to keep them from scratching against each other. Make sure that the pool noodle fits snug between the tires and cranks, again take note of the derailleur (bike 1) and/or fork (bike 2) when doing this.

This is very frustrating.. literally all they need to do is adjust their spacing, just by a few centimetres and the mtbs would fit as advertised.. and it wouldn't need to cost more..

its the whole reason a forked of 5K for the platform rack as opposed to the cheaper hanging racks.. surely pool noodles etc, removing parts ( saddles , wheels , handlebars )  should be necessary on a platform rack?

I spent half an hour playing tetris and gave up. dropper up dropper down, nothing worked.. and it was my Large Trance and a Small giant hartail..

Maybe the Sweedish  are just all roadies so they don't have this problem

You will have exactly the same problem with road bikes. when fitting two bikes the front quick release rub against the rear derailleurs on both sides. I only saw this when I removed the bikes from the rack. Talking to Thule (Woodmead branch) did not resolve the problem either - their comment was buy the 3 bike rack and two bikes will not touch each other.

You will have exactly the same problem with road bikes. when fitting two bikes the front quick release rub against the rear derailleurs on both sides. I only saw this when I removed the bikes from the rack. Talking to Thule (Woodmead branch) did not resolve the problem either - their comment was buy the 3 bike rack and two bikes will not touch each other.

I wonder if they would refund me after 6months..

Managed to get 2 large 29er duals on mine on the weekend - bit of tetris and removing both seatposts, but they seemed to be fine and no damage done. For a longer trip I'd probably have to break out the pool noodles I'd think.

I had the 3 bike previously, but that would hit the ground every time I went over a speed bump or through a dip so I'd rather suffer through the other difficulties a 2 bike Thule comes with.

again take note of the derailleur (bike 1) and/or fork (bike 2) when doing this.

+1

Two does fit with some brands of bikes. 

I have a Thule Euroway G-3. I can get 2 bikes on no problem.

Last year for Knysna i managed to fit on 3 but you have to remove the seats. Also lean the bikes forward and backwards slightly. We made these polystyrene vibe fittings that fit on the forks to ensure they don't scratch.

I think the box reads 2 bikes, but they are probable referring to 2 roadbikes.

Edited by Boozman

I use those foamy things bike get packed in from the bike shop. It fits perfectly around the fork and frame pays that might get damaged. And remember no two bikes fit the same way. Tetris and patience. Don't be scared to put the clamps upside down either. And clamp it on the downtube or seattube wherever it works. Just make sure the jaws closer nice and firm.

I have the Thule G2 and have no problems loading x2 bikes. I've just a look at my rack. There are screws under the rails which take an allen key and it would appear the can be moved along a rail to make it narrower or wider which should alleviate some of the problems. Have a look and forgive me if i'm wrong :mellow: