Roadworks on Suikerbossie(Victoria road)

JJACK

Given the tragic lost of another fellow cyclist yesterday in Cape Town.

I feel it necessary to raise a concern regarding the road works on Victoria road on both sides of the road from Campsbay to Suikerbossie and down Suiker bossie to Houtbay.

This is our morning training route and in the past few weeks I've noted that this stretch is an accident waiting to happen... With road works markers forcing both cyclist and motorist on to the same piece of road without any shoulder for the cyclist.

My question why would the powers that be decide that this is a opportune time to implement road works this time of year knowing the volume of cyclist that use this route for training pre Cycle Tour?

I've noticed road signs on the timing of the road works (07:30 - 17:00 ) - 07:30 being the peak time for people returning from their morning ride.

Is there anyway we can get Citi council or whoever is responsible for the road works to delay their times by an hour? This will allow for the peak cycling traffic to subside. 

Tired of all the tragic news circulating the Hub lately. Lets try stand together as a community and try make the roads safer for ourselves. 

Wow that's some sense of entitlement! Let the municipality do its work and go train somewhere else if you dont feel safe.

No problem with municipality doing their work, problem with the timing and implementation... If you understand the amount of cycling traffic that this particular route sees this time of year delaying road works with an hour in the morning in hopes to prevent a accident waiting to happen isn't too big of a ask.

It is my entitlement to ask if the municipality is applying common sense when human lives are at stake.

Given the tragic lost of another fellow cyclist yesterday in Cape Town.

I feel it necessary to raise a concern regarding the road works on Victoria road on both sides of the road from Campsbay to Suikerbossie and down Suiker bossie to Houtbay.

This is our morning training route and in the past few weeks I've noted that this stretch is an accident waiting to happen... With road works markers forcing both cyclist and motorist on to the same piece of road without any shoulder for the cyclist.

My question why would the powers that be decide that this is a opportune time to implement road works this time of year knowing the volume of cyclist that use this route for training pre Cycle Tour?

I've noticed road signs on the timing of the road works (07:30 - 17:00 ) - 07:30 being the peak time for people returning from their morning ride.

Is there anyway we can get Citi council or whoever is responsible for the road works to delay their times by an hour? This will allow for the peak cycling traffic to subside. 

Tired of all the tragic news circulating the Hub lately. Lets try stand together as a community and try make the roads safer for ourselves. 

I do feel and agree with your concern.

the timing is so that the work is completed before June when the rainy season starts. this road has poor drainage so this is being upgraded AFAIK.

What you could do is call the Mayor's office or city council and request that a temporary cycle lane be erected along the stretch of road works to prevent motorists from encroaching.

• 4 weeks later...

How much more valid is this post now....

We should've done something and another cyclist may be sitting with his family enjoying dessert after a happy supper right now!

Instead they are dealing with the shock of a senseless incident cutting their loved one's life down and over today!