Rudivh

Good day

I am proud to say that I got my bike yesterday(Second hand) and cant wait to start riding.  It has always been a dream for me but i never had a bike so couldn't really get into the sport.  

Now that i have the bike, there are all the extras that I need to get, like helmet, gloves, clothes, repair kit and all that.  Can you guys please help me in making a list of all the essentials that I will need, and maybe if you know where I can get some good deals?  I know startup can be quite costly, but I really want to get into it asap.  I am in the Germiston area, and also need to find a group to join.  If anyone has a extra something I will be more than happy to take it off your hands!!!  I also need a bike rack for a my car, but I don't have a tow-bar.

There are so much to learn but I am looking forward to it.  I am a male, 31 years old.

Thank you all in advance!!!

Rudi

Whatsapp:

083 531 7210

post-70647-0-11250900-1421911488_thumb.jpeg

I also just started MTB, also used. Here is a list of goodies my boet told me to get (im already tubeless).

First thing, go tubeless...

Goodies for repairing on the go.

1) C02 bombs and valve adaptor

2) Chain tool and extra links

3) Tube for when bombs fail

4) Multitool

Gear

1) Helmet of course, Mtb ones are well vented

2) Full hand gloves help, especially when you inevitably fall, also i found mtb gloves has less padding, as the grips on the bars are padded, road gloves dont always feel right

3) Any decent padded shorts, baggies (looks like normal shorts, but is padded) or full on cycling shorts, both work

4) Cycle tops, most will do

A few tips for starting

1) Make sure your shock is setup correctly to your body weight, understand the settings

2) Start of flat pedals, eventually try cleated in option, especially if you plan on doing long cross country rides

3) Practice on jeep tracks, work your way slowly into easier graded single tracks. 

4) There's nothing wrong with knee guards, elbow guards to help build confidence

Have fun!

Edited by nazmo

I also just started MTB, also used. Here is a list of goodies my boet told me to get (im already tubeless).

4) Multitool

Gear

2) Full hand gloves help, especially when you inevitably fall, also i found mtb gloves has less padding, as the grips on the bars are padded, road gloves dont always feel right

3) Any decent padded shorts, baggies (looks like normal shorts, but is padded) or full on cycling shorts, both work

A few tips for starting

1) Make sure your shock is setup correctly to your body weight, understand the settings

2) Start of flat pedals, eventually try cleated in option, especially if you plan on doing long cross country rides

3) Practice on jeep tracks, work your way slowly into easier graded single tracks. 

4) There's nothing wrong with knee guards, elbow guards to help build confidence

Have fun!

Thank you for the help so far!!!  

Will surely make a list of everything and start getting my goodies together!!!

This is an awesome forum to find out everything I need to know :)

Good day

I am proud to say that I got my bike yesterday(Second hand) and cant wait to start riding.  It has always been a dream for me but i never had a bike so couldn't really get into the sport.  

Now that i have the bike, there are all the extras that I need to get, like helmet, gloves, clothes, repair kit and all that.  Can you guys please help me in making a list of all the essentials that I will need, and maybe if you know where I can get some good deals?  I know startup can be quite costly, but I really want to get into it asap.  I am in the Germiston area, and also need to find a group to join.  If anyone has a extra something I will be more than happy to take it off your hands!!!  I also need a bike rack for a my car, but I don't have a tow-bar.

There are so much to learn but I am looking forward to it.  I am a male, 31 years old.

Thank you all in advance!!!

Rudi

Whatsapp:

083 531 7210

Sunglasses!! Not essential, but will definitely make your riding experience a more pleasant one as well as protect those all important eyes.

Edited by DOdM

Welcome!

If you are going to spend any significant time on TheHubSA, make sure you have a sense of humour.    :clap:

Being prepared helps - so you are half way there.  But failing that, the more you ride, the more you will realise what you need (and also don't need).

Enjoy.

4) Multitool

Gear

A few tips for starting

Have fun!

Dont forget some of those 'worms' for repairing holes in your tubless tyres.

:clap:  for starting out on this great sport

:clap: :clap:  for choosing MTB :thumbup:  over road :thumbdown: ...( okay okay everyone, calm down, I'm just kidding!!!) :whistling:

On a serious note, find someone to ride with, especially if you are going to be riding on trails far from civilization, and if you need help, you are not screwed all on your lonesome.

Another thing. Find out about the Bonk. Find out what dietary requirements will work for you, and learn how  to beat said Bonk.

TITS. lots of TITS. That is the only thing that works to build your fitness.

Strava. Not required. It is not true that if a ride is not on strava it did not happen! - But it is fun to measure your efforts.

Enter some fun rides to get the vibe going once you are comfortable.

Learn to fix your own bike. You will save tons.

Sunblock!

Hydration!

Mostly, HAVE FUN! - Welcome to insanity! Prepare to eat, breath, dream MTB'ing !!!

Enjoy, its pretty addictive once you get into it. Regards groups closet MTB rides to you is Rietvlei, MTB cycle parks are pretty safe but outside its best to cycle in a groups for safety reasons. 

Regards upgrades and costs, below pic says it all.

post-7-0-32123400-1421913764_thumb.jpg

Another thing is the correct setup of your bike - seat, saddle, stem, bars, etc. You need to make sure that the bike is setup in such a manner that you are comfortable once you start riding longer distances and more technical routes. 

If you don't want to go for a bike fitting just yet, your body will tell you quickly what you need to adjust. For example, if you feel like you're "stretched out" over the bike, the stem might be too long. You can counter this by running a shorther stem with wider bars.

There is a lot of reading material in this regard, so Google it and start tinkering. 

Get a Helmet first then go ride. You will notice whats short very quickly (Water bottle). Repair kits etc is a good idea however you can go without on short rides( be prepared to walk back ).

The pedals on your bike are not considered Flat Pedals and the pain they inflict can be sever.

The lists as before is a good start and note you will be spending money you don't have every month on the hobby. 

Rudi, welcome to the hub and to mtb!

Most importantly get that helmet and go ride. The rest will happen over time.

Go to Solomons on Woodmead for all your goodies.  Helmet first, no cycle park will let you in without one and quite frankly its common sense to not ride without one.

For some killer accessory deals check out cwcyles section in the site sponsor section. They are currently running an awesome sale. could save yourself a few bucks there.  Also if there is something you see they dont have on special, post a link in that sale thread and they will probably put it on sale for you.

Welcome to the club