Rudivh

Hi Rudi

Welcome to The Hub. I only started riding about 6 months ago, so just some input from a noob.

Most of the good points have already been made above. My one regret when I was buying all the extras when I got started is not going the flat pedal route. I wish I had gone with a proper pair of flat pedals and flat shoes, instead of clipless. I think my confidence and skill levels would be better today if I had gone with flats.

Hi Rudi

Welcome to The Hub. I only started riding about 6 months ago, so just some input from a noob.

Most of the good points have already been made above. My one regret when I was buying all the extras when I got started is not going the flat pedal route. I wish I had gone with a proper pair of flat pedals and flat shoes, instead of clipless. I think my confidence and skill levels would be better today if I had gone with flats.

Hi there.

At this stage I dont even know what flat pedal is and what I have........hehe

Hi there.

You have pedals that WILL bite you. 

They will gnaw on both your shin and your lower calf.

If you like scratching scabs, then you've joined the right sport  :)

Oh, and a great place to learn to ride is Braamies Spruit. Lots and lots of Hubbers ride the Sproot and would be happy to ride with you.

Hi there.

From the pic you posted, it looks like you what they call "bear traps", and not flat pedals. Not nearly as much grip as proper flats.

Those Shimano Saints that Chris Willemse Cycles have on special at the moment are a good way to go.

Also do some searching on the Hub for alternatives to the expensive flat shoes (5.10s are about R1 800, but are considered the best). That said, I spent nearly R1 600 on clipless pedals and shoes when I started, and would not have minded spending an extra R700 odd to go with a Shimano flats and 5.10s.

I guess it also depends on what type of riding you want to do. If its just jeep track dirt roads and more long distance/fitness type riding, then clipless, but if you want to do some singletrack, descending and have more fun, then flats.

if you want to do some .... descending and have more fun, then flats.

You Wot?  

Are you avin' a larf?  :eek:

Edited by SAGecko

I guess it also depends on what type of riding you want to do. If its just jeep track dirt roads and more long distance/fitness type riding, then clipless, but if you want to do some singletrack, descending and have more fun, then flats.

As far as i know the one side is clipless and the other side is flat.....not sure :)

Welcome and enjoy, you've made the right move :clap:

Just riiiiiiiiide...........and maybe go be nice to your bank manager :whistling:

helmet.

then just go out there and ride, you soon start to realise what you need.

Dont rush into anything

I think this is good advise.......Before I spend a lot of money on stuff i dont need!!!

Any teams I can join?

As far as i know the one side is clipless and the other side is flat.....not sure :)

I found those pretty annoying, murphy's law whether riding clipless or flat shoe the pedal will be opposite. Rather go full flat pedal/shoe or full clipless/pedal.