Jozi Bike Shops Best Service

TheDogShow

Hubbers,

I recently moved to Johannesburg. I am both a road cyclist and mtb'er and I'm looking for a new local bike shop to service my bikes.

I'm in the Linden / Victory Park area.

Would appreciate the Jozi cyclists' thoughts.

Cheers.

Hubbers,

I recently moved to Johannesburg. I am both a road cyclist and mtb'er and I'm looking for a new local bike shop to service my bikes.

Cheers.

I'm from planet Zug but I've heard only good things about Summit Cycles (Midrand) and the windgat wingnut wingman owner Wyatt Earpie is here on the hub as well.

Ok jokes aside, Summit are highly recommendable.

Guest notmyname

Linden cycles and northcliff cycle's. Summit if you're keen to get some stamps in your passport.

I'm from planet Zug but I've heard only good things about Summit Cycles (Midrand) and the windgat wingnut wingman owner Wyatt Earpie is here on the hub as well.

Ok jokes aside, Summit are highly recommendable.

</bromance on>

I second that vote. Always good service, better pricing than the rest, though you will spend a lot more there in the long run because you'll just keep buying more things...:P

Always knowledgeable advice, and won't try do you over like some places, and won't just "do what you ask". If there is a better/more cost effective/etc option you will be advised.

For example, my sister's bike was in for the cassette, chain, and blades on the crank. They called me up and said its cheaper to get an entire new crank than just replace the blades. So I got what I needed done, plus extra, for less than it was originally going to cost.

</bromance off>

EDIT: you can join us for the hub Mtb rides from there too ;)

Edited by Lurch

Hi guys

This thread pretty much answers the main question I wanted to ask, which was where would you recommend getting a bike serviced in this area.

I tend to look after cars and the like very well but I am not very technically minded. For example I know my rear brakes desperately need to be adjusted (barely any braking at all) but I am too dof to know how to go about it.

A couple of additional noob questions, if I may:

• I heard via the grapevine that a new bike should be serviced after 150 to 200km, is this correct and what would be done? (general checking of nuts and bolts and adjustments I would guess?)
  • How often thereafter should a bike be serviced? (time or distance?)
  • How long should it take roughly? (What I'd hoped would be my LBS, from whom I bought my bike in December, said I could 'bring the bike in Monday morning and I should be able to pick it up Friday' which seemed a bit long to me)
  • *EDIT* Last question, approximate price I should expect to pay for the service?

Appreciate any advice guys.

Edited by SteveJhb

Hi guys

This thread pretty much answers the main question I wanted to ask, which was where would you recommend getting a bike serviced in this area.

I tend to look after cars and the like very well but I am not very technically minded. For example I know my rear brakes desperately need to be adjusted (barely any braking at all) but I am too dof to know how to go about it.

A couple of additional noob questions, if I may:

• I heard via the grapevine that a new bike should be serviced after 150 to 200km, is this correct and what would be done? (general checking of nuts and bolts and adjustments I would guess?)
  • How often thereafter should a bike be serviced? (time or distance?)
  • How long should it take roughly? (What I'd hoped would be my LBS, from whom I bought my bike in December, said I could 'bring the bike in Monday morning and I should be able to pick it up Friday' which seemed a bit long to me)
  • *EDIT* Last question, approximate price I should expect to pay for the service?

Appreciate any advice guys.

http://fitshop.co.za/product/complete-bicycling-maintenance-and-repair/

Hubbers,

Cheers.

You're fortunate, you've got a range of bike shops literally within spitting distance. Ok not literally, but they're there. 

Linden - Linden Cycles

Greenside - Mikes Bikes

Parkwood/Rosebank - Sprocket & Jack

Rosebank - BMC Velolife

Dunkeld - Dunkeld Cycles

Blairgowrie - The Trailhead

All within approx 5km of you. 

• 8 months later...

You're fortunate, you've got a range of bike shops literally within spitting distance. Ok not literally, but they're there. 

Linden - Linden Cycles

Greenside - Mikes Bikes

Parkwood/Rosebank - Sprocket & Jack

Rosebank - BMC Velolife

Dunkeld - Dunkeld Cycles

Blairgowrie - The Trailhead

All within approx 5km of you. 

Not to Forget Hunter Cycling Melville

Hi there,

Try Linden Cycles, I like trying out a few shops in terms of service/pricing etc. and then selecting the two I will most frequent, and Linden Cycles is one of the shops I go back to most.

Cheers.

The only bike shop where I've never had any issues with my bike: Mikes Bikes.

My favorite bike shop: Dirt Merchant in Craighall. ;)

I would rather remove my man parts with a blunt bread knife than go to Linden Cycles.

Edited by Samurai Pizza Cat

I second (or is that third or fourth) Linden Cycles and Mike's Bikes. I've also had good service at Cyclelab Fourways. Being based in Northcliff, these shops work well for me.

It probably also depends on the relationship you build at whichever shop, there are a number of good ones.