Thule 13 pin bike rack to 7pin towbar adapter

Flatwhite

Hi,

Bought a Thule Bike Rack in the UK which I brought back to SA. However, now realized that the Bike Rack has a 13pin socket and the Towbar only has 7 pin socket...

Some searching reveals I need a Thule 9906 adapter...Being Thule I would assume to  expensive - cant seem to find SA pricing on them.

Anyone else had the same problem and found any other alternative adapters in the Cape area that could work?

Many thanks

Ive been down this road before as well.

you have two choices.

1. Buy a landrover because they have two tow plugs attached. a 13 and a 7. (see picture attached)

post-18409-0-99039100-1422429005_thumb.jpg

2. Or go to thule and buy the adapter.

I would say replace the plug on the carrier. They aren't expensive and you need just a basic knowledge of wiring, or get someone to do it for you.

Thule adaptor is around R 475 at CWC in Cape Town. There is an ad on olx Cape Town for R 250. The adaptor is not Thule specific any 13 pin to 7 pin will work - BMW also sells them for their cars with manufacturer fitted towbars, but I suspect at even higher prices than Thule. Here is the olx ad http://capetown.olx.co.za/13-pin-socket-to-7-pin-plug-adaptor-iid-775514848

For that price... go to Midas and buy a Standard plug , download the diagram from:http://www.overland.co.za/trailer_plug/Trailer_Plug.pdf

and Bobs your Uncle....

Hi,

Bought a Thule Bike Rack in the UK which I brought back to SA. However, now realized that the Bike Rack has a 13pin socket and the Towbar only has 7 pin socket...

Some searching reveals I need a Thule 9906 adapter...Being Thule I would assume to  expensive - cant seem to find SA pricing on them.

Anyone else had the same problem and found any other alternative adapters in the Cape area that could work?

Many thanks

Hi, if the vehicle came with a tow-bar I would suggest you purchase the vehicle manufacturers adaptor. I have had a similar problem and it caused a fuse to blow by using a different manafacturers adaptor!!!  It might have been an isolated malfunction but it happened nevertheless. 

For that price... go to Midas and buy a Standard plug , download the diagram from:http://www.overland.co.za/trailer_plug/Trailer_Plug.pdf

and Bobs your Uncle....

Also went this route.

Unless you worried about possibly voiding the warranty on the Thule (although not sure if it is still valid in any case if you bought it in the UK), just buy the adapter from Midas, google the wiring diagram and make the change.  

I think I paid R40 for the standard 7 pin adapter from Midas a year ago.   :thumbup:

When buying an adapter, be careful if the car is a VW or Audi (and maybe other European sourced cars). Their electronics are affected by after-market stuff and I had malfunctions on my ABS braking because of the incorrect signals being sent from the plug.

I bought one through VW which was surprising much cheaper than Thule's. Have been using it for a couple of years now and no issues.