Karoo To Coast 2015

ErikD

Hey guys, this will be my first K2C - so random question;

I figured that because this is gravel roads and not trails or mountains, I should be fine riding on the last legs of my current set of tyres before I bin them.  I heard over the weekend that apparently tyres don't do well on K2C and that some people ride spares...

What's the verdict here - fresh tyres or throw away my old set on Monday after the race?

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, this will be my first K2C - so random question;

I figured that because this is gravel roads and not trails or mountains, I should be fine riding on the last legs of my current set of tyres before I bin them.  I heard over the weekend that apparently tyres don't do well on K2C and that some people ride spares...

What's the verdict here - fresh tyres or throw away my old set on Monday after the race?

Fresh tyres.

Dont risk that in a race.

I've had two flats in my 6 K2C races. Both due to sharp stones. Go for the new tyres.

Edited by kjind

What's the road conditions like? 

Gravel all the way apart from die Ouwapad going out of Uniondale which is more of a jeep track.

I have done this on over inflated tyres (3.5 bar) on brand new cheapies (R95 Avalanche tyres) and a mixture of them - it was fine. This year I will be doing it with tyres that has seen 4000+ km of action and a rear tyre that is slowly oozing green sealant slime through the various punctures it has had.

Seeing as it did not give me problems on the Cederberg 100 miler this weekend I reckon K2C should be fine. Live dangerously  :devil:

I don't think it is a Karoo2Coast question but more one if you want to travel all that way and then DNF because you were a pushing your luck on an over worn set of tyres.

The roads are very tyre friendly, I have done thousands of km on those Klein Karoo roads and never had a puncture that sealant couldn't deal with. Only once did I need a plug to help it out.

My advice, put on your new tyres with new sealant (I am assuming you are running tubeless. If you are not, go and stand in the stupid naughty corner) and ride the race. You can always keep your old ones and use them for a few more training rides afterwards.

As jy wegspring in groep D kan jy plekke ruil met iemand in groep A?

I dont think so, you can only downgrade. But I'm not 100% sure.

I hate taking a tyre that's got a bit of tread left off, because I'll never fit it again - once it's off, it's off. mmm, maybe should go and rip some dh during the week to write the rear off, and have a reason to fit new ones. 

Anyways, looking forward to the ride!

Whom else is staying in the general camping area the night before?

As jy wegspring in groep D kan jy plekke ruil met iemand in groep A?

Instand DQ, they will know what time your "chip" is supposed to start. If it crosses the mat before that then DQ.

If you ride with the other persons chip and number and they find out, banned!

Gravel all the way apart from die Ouwapad going out of Uniondale which is more of a jeep track.

I have done this on over inflated tyres (3.5 bar) on brand new cheapies (R95 Avalanche tyres) and a mixture of them - it was fine. This year I will be doing it with tyres that has seen 4000+ km of action and a rear tyre that is slowly oozing green sealant slime through the various punctures it has had.

Seeing as it did not give me problems on the Cederberg 100 miler this weekend I reckon K2C should be fine. Live dangerously  :devil:

How are the legs today and how did it go in your race? I seemed to think that doing the 100km Hill2Hill will be just fine for training. That was until a  pile-up on a rocky section left me with a few very, very sore ribs, gazed hip, elbow, shin and some loose filings on teeth North and South. A nice group formed early on and we made the Tequila rule. Person that drops off the group downs a Tequila after the race. Person that races away from the group, same thing. I should be OK by Sunday. 

How are the legs today and how did it go in your race?

It was awesome, managed to do it in 08:29:13 - rode solo. I was worried about my tyre oozing the green sealant, but it held up for Backberg and now for Ceder so it will just have to last until the end of the month. Stoked to be doing my 5th K2C and happy to start in A.