A Yank in South Africa

Tycho

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it makes you feel any better, international entries are almost 50% more expensive. I like the idea of providing a more international experience.

Thanks for all the replies. Some really good suggestions. Let me know if anyone would like to meet up before the ride.

If it makes you feel any better, international entries are almost 50% more expensive. I like the idea of providing a more international experience.

Thanks for all the replies. Some really good suggestions. Let me know if anyone would like to meet up before the ride.

Depending on when you get to Cape Town, there are a few recce rides planned of the route.  I'd join them.  The pace is pretty relaxed and you'll get a good idea of the route.  More information in this thread:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/147115-cape-town-cycle-tour-argus-training-rides/

Also, feel free to PM if you need any assistance from a fellow yank.

I overlooked some bikes because I was confused about the exchange rate.

Man, the exchange rate could not be easier.

Take the Rand price and knock a zero off. R1000 becomes $100. Actually, it is less than $100, but for ease of calculation use this.

Some decent deals. I like that Schwinn, but it is located in Durbanville. I will have no car and do not know if I can get there easily. Looking for something in Cape Town proper.

Durbanville is for all practical purposes Cape Town proper. If you find the right deal, it is easy to meet up.

Man, the exchange rate could not be easier.

Take the Rand price and knock a zero off. R1000 becomes $100. Actually, it is less than $100, but for ease of calculation use this.

It was a momentary affliction of stupidity. I am currently in my sixth African country, heading to my seventh tomorrow, and doing all the conversions had me confused!

no, it doesn't make me feel better but i don't want to spoil your thread with gripes about the tours organisers greediness - that belongs to another day. i really hope you enjoy your stay in the RSA and CTown in particular 

The reason tourists are afforded an open entry to the Argus, is simply because most of the foreign tourists who visit the city have no idea about the lead time in the entry process, are typically here as a co-incidence when the event is on AND just as important the requirements for them to be able to enter means that roughly only a couple of hundred people are eligible, which is something the organisers can accomodate and charge more for in order to facilitate on short notice.

Locals are aware of the entry process and there is a cap on the available entries up for grabs. If you applied the same logic and left entries open for locals the same as it is for Internationals, there would be a couple of thousand extra entries, which the event and logistics would not be able to handle. As someone who has done the race many years, I find it strange how people are prepared to pay the overseas cost for entries in February, but come August they are not prepared to pay the extra couple of hundred bucks to join PPA, moan about this, when it can ensure they get an early entry option cheaper than the overseas price....

Edited by Tubehunter

I'm sure you will have a great time in South African Tycho.
The Argus is a great race/ride and a experience you will undoubtedly find to be well worth the fee.

Regarding the second hand clothing, you might be better off buying some cheap stuff from the retailer "Mr Price Sport". Nothing special but if you are only using it for a few rides, then why not? Otherwise check out the classifieds section on this site and visit the Cape Town based store/website cwcycles.co.za.

Tycho, tell more about your trip through Africa. I'm in Nigeria and planning to ride back to Durban at the end of the contract. What route are you taking?

Buy cheap kit on the Expo in the days just before the race.

From almost anywhere in Cape Town, people would be happy to probably bring a bike to you for viewing if you offer R500 extra should you buy it. Then it's convenient as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Tycho, tell more about your trip through Africa. I'm in Nigeria and planning to ride back to Durban at the end of the contract. What route are you taking?

Finally arrived yesterday in South Africa/Cape Town. Still no leads on a bike. The few people I was in contact with sold theirs before I arrived.

I did not bike through Africa. I did Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Makali, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, straight into Cape Town.

https://plus.google.com/100515375744869429134/about?gl=za&hl=en

Cycletraders in Salt River is run by Averon, a trustworthy guy who deals in good higher end 2nd hand bikes.

http://www.woodstockcycleworks.com/contact/

Woodstock Cycle works specialize in refurbishing older, very cool bikes.

Both are within very a easy taxi ride from the city centre (10 -15 minutes away) but too far to walk. Between these 2 you will find something to suit your needs. Both outfits will give you good advice. Both are safer than buying from Gumtree. At both you can inspect the goods yourself.

Edited by DJR

Here's a bike that just came on the classifieds:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/125655-merida-hfs-905/

Seems like a good bike. A bit too far without a car, but I will try.

For fun, I walked into a Cash Crusader and actually saw a couple of road bikes. Could these bikes be possibly stolen? One still had a computer and lights. I would take a chance, but can anyone recommend a LBS for a quick checkup?

Also, where could I go for clothes, shoes and other accessories?

Is anyone doing the tour in a costume? I would love to join such a group.