Damage Steering Tube advice

Shann Spark 940

Hi all, 

Am new to this forum and hope someone can advise me.

I have a Scott Spark 940 (2015) which I wiped out on.

Attached are some pics of the damage to the steering tube.  The question I have is:  Should I and can I replace the steering tube or would it be better to try and have the tube reshaped to round, somehow?

(Tapered tube btw)

Thank you 

Shann

post-71446-0-23674100-1422962322_thumb.jpg

post-71446-0-04676700-1422962323_thumb.jpg

post-71446-0-75971800-1422962323_thumb.jpg

How did that happen, was the stem that was on there when it happened totalled?

Is the bike insured?

Edited by Skylark

How far down the tube is it bent?

Can you for instance cut off the damaged area (effectively shortening the steerer)

remove a spacer or 2 when fitting stem.

Then get a riser bar with the same rise as the spacers you removed

That doesn't look serious. Its aluminium and strong. I would just shape it the best I can and continue riding.

Panel beat it carefully. Nothing needs to fit in there but having as much surface area for you stem to "grab" can't hurt ;)

I am sure that your LBS could supply you with a replacement steerer though. We've replaced a few 1 1/8" steerers over the years.

Edit: A tapered steerer should be more readily available I would imagine. Find someone with a press to swap them out if the panel beating doesn't work out.

Edited by Grebel

How did that happen, was the stem that was on there when it happened totalled?

Is the bike insured?

The number of people who've asked me how it happened makes me wonder if it should've happened at all.  Left hand single track bend, two wheel drift and came down heavily on the left hand side of the bar, which was at 90 degree to the ground when I came down. I heard a snap sound but was never able to work out what had caused it.  No the stem is in perfect nick (from what I can see).  It is insured but need to check what level of cover

How far down the tube is it bent?

Can you for instance cut off the damaged area (effectively shortening the steerer)

remove a spacer or 2 when fitting stem.

Then get a riser bar with the same rise as the spacers you removed

Good thinking... that may be a plan as it's not too far down

That doesn't look serious. Its aluminium and strong. I would just shape it the best I can and continue riding.

That did come to mind I just need to get it good enough to have enough meat to be able to lock the handle bar onto

Panel beat it carefully. Nothing needs to fit in there but having as much surface area for you stem to "grab" can't hurt ;)

I am sure that your LBS could supply you with a replacement steerer though. We've replaced a few 1 1/8" steerers over the years.

Edit: A tapered steerer should be more readily available I would imagine. Find someone with a press to swap them out if the panel beating doesn't work out.

Beating it....gently :devil:  has come to mind but being a brand new bike I'm cautious but it's excellent to hear that you've replaced steerers as some have said it's an out and out no-no....

Good thinking... that may be a plan as it's not too far down

Try the insurance route first.

My suggestion may lead to problems with your bikes cover should you require it in the future.

Beating it....gently :devil:  has come to mind but being a brand new bike I'm cautious but it's excellent to hear that you've replaced steerers as some have said it's an out and out no-no....

The damage is quite perculiar.

It's as if you've somehow managed to pop open the little yolk sachet without cracking open the egg. 

I would remove the spider, take a 17 or a 19mm socket (they should be about right - you might need a 21mm) and put the smaller end of the socket down the steerer.  Gently tap the socket - that way you will get a nice tapered drift which will get the steerer as near a dammit to round again.

I would remove the spider, take a 17 or a 19mm socket (they should be about right - you might need a 21mm) and put the smaller end of the socket down the steerer.  Gently tap the socket - that way you will get a nice tapered drift which will get the steerer as near a dammit to round again.

Probably wouldn't hurt to heat up the dented side while doing this to ensure that the dented side is pushed out.

I can't see any way that the steerer could bend like that with a stem attached and the stem is undamaged?

Think perhaps the steerer was previously damaged and the wipeout just exposed the issue?