Alternate flat MTB shoe

JPW1970

Hi everyone.

I would really appreciate some advice regarding mtb shoes for flat pedals.

I recently purchased a pair of Shimano Saint pedals , which are really nice.

the trouble is finding good shoes.

I know the hype around the 5/10`s are maybe justified , but at the price , a little out of reach for a single dad.

Can anyone recommend an alternative local brand of shoes that will at least serve me decently.

thanks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.hi-tec.com/uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/figaro_blkgryyolk_o002329_021_5.jpg

http://www.hi-tec.com/uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/F/0/F000586_041%204.jpg

Hi JPW, 

5-10s are awesome, and I love mine. 

BUT I rode with normal skateboarding takkies for a long time until I could afford "real" shoes. I used them for everything up to DH and they were fine. They were not even expensive takkies - I bought them at the China Mart in JHB for about R200.

Of course a 5-10 shoe is going to grip better and probably last longer, and they do have a stiffer sole which would make a difference to your comfort, but you can be sure that unless you have ridden 5-10s you won't know the difference.

I very friendly hubber has loaned me a pair of flats that I fitted to my bike last night and testing later with a pair of DC shoes I have lying about.  The sole is like the below.. Riding around a bit last night felt ok, but only a trail will give the best test results...

http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/hypebeast-wordpress/image/2009/05/uxa-dc-shoes-big-apple-ryan-smith-2.jpg

I wear skate shoes/flats a lot of the time anyway. When I've ridden my MTB into work they have still gripped really well on the saints.

I think any skate shoe will do really, its just 5-10s are built a bit tougher and have reinforced heels etc to last longer than normal shoes.

I wear skate shoes/flats a lot of the time anyway. When I've ridden my MTB into work they have still gripped really well on the saints.

I think any skate shoe will do really, its just 5-10s are built a bit tougher and have reinforced heels etc to last longer than normal shoes.

Cool.. Are the 5-10's also a bit stiffer in the sole to distribute pressure a bit??

Yeah, they are a bit stiffer sole too - but if you have saints or other decent flats, you've got a nice wide platform anyway, so your foot well supported.

Was loaned a set of the below, or very similar, so should be cool.. Will report back after my ride later..

http://www.ridebosh.com/images/large/209_450_094228.jpg

Edited by Raydek

I wear Vans like these http://www.yyshoes.com/vans-footwear-mens-106-high-top-classic-skater-black-white-p-4644/bought them at tekkie town. I'm now on my second pair but they seem to do okay. They've got a very flexible sole but I have fairly strong feet and it doesn't seem to bug me. The waffle sole grips well enough on saints. I have no experience with better shoes so I can't really say much in that regard but moving from trail running shoes to these was a revelation in terms of grip. I constantly get questions from my clipless friends as to how I stay on my pedals.

Get a pair of Etnies from Tekkie Town. Wont set you back more than R400. They also sell Vans but from what I saw the last time I was in the shop the Vans were slightly more expensive. I have a pair of Fila sneakers that i use when I'm on my BMX and I have no problem with grip.

I'm selling some casual shoes that are great for flat pedals. They also have the option of adding in cleats at the bottom for incase you do get cleated pedals. They've got reinforced soles so that you don't lose so much power when pedalling, and come in either laces or quick release system. Prices are from R550 - R750 for new, never used. Let me know if you interested.

post-70117-0-98485100-1422970449_thumb.jpg

post-70117-0-62309700-1422970468_thumb.jpg

post-70117-0-36393700-1422970479_thumb.jpg

post-70117-0-25065000-1422970491_thumb.jpg

I'm selling some casual shoes that are great for flat pedals. They also have the option of adding in cleats at the bottom for incase you do get cleated pedals. They've got reinforced soles so that you don't lose so much power when pedalling, and come in either laces or quick release system. Prices are from R550 - R750 for new, never used. Let me know if you interested.

What is the sole made up of?