650b Wheelsets, wideness, spokness, confusedness...

NGUTF

So before posting this I took a read at some past chatter about new wheel sets (all sizes) for MTBing , with the hope of getting some clarity for my new 650b dirt killer. All it did was open up more options (which is great) add more technical muscle to what I didn't know (rim width etc) and lastly realising that the bigger brands may not be all that they are cracked up to be. 

What I would like to know from other Hubbers is where would a laymen start to look for a new set of wheels should he have a Giant Anthem Advanced. I originally looked at Mavic crossmax SLT but judging by some rider comments their may be better options to consider in a lower / similar price range. 

Most of my riding is done in JHB south (Thaba Trails and Rietvlei occasionally) and  my bike takes a good beating over the rocky terrain on most weekends. The end goal is to have a good set of tubeless wheels to use to train with as well as do the occasional race after a 3 year sabbatical. 

Again, after reading through a few threads I'm not sure what the best option would be for my anthem - hope hubs + custom built crests vs off the shelf rims vs just keeping the standard rims,  etc etc.

Can anyone shed some insight? 

I'd say go with the custom Crests..

I'm in the exact same horrible decision boat as you: The more research I do, the more viable options become available rather than being eliminated.

So far I'm keen on:

• Spank Oozy on Hopes (Colourful options, Durable, Not too heavy [+-R7000?] )
  • ZTR ArchEX on Hopes (Look alright/good, Available everywhere)
  • Vittoria Daemion (Look sick, Light [R7250 from Bibi] )
  • Easton Vice XLT (Nice stealth look, 1750g, Relatively cheap at R5600)

So far many bike shop peoples tell me "Hope hubs or go home", However I'm still tempted by the others.

Just sharing, but also would like to know what thoughts are.

Edited by MarcBurger

I am running 650b ZTR Crests with am classic hubs. Strong, relatively light, not too expensive, take a hammering and seldom need truing. I use them as race and training wheels. 

Hubs been going for four years  - they came off an old 26" wheelset. I've replaced the freehub body and bearings twice.

Am Classic make some really good wheels as well, depends on your weight & type of riding you are doing.

Once you get down to the nitty gritty there are not many "bad" hubs or rims amongst the brand names so it is personal choice.  For me the deciding factor lies with the spokes, spoke count and the builder.

So far I'm keen on:

• Spank Oozy on Hopes (Colourful options, Durable, Not too heavy [+-R7000?] )

spank Oozy, never heard of them, sounds sexy ;)

Im 85kgs and most of my riding is XC, the occasional jump here and there but no where close to gravity type riding. 

Have some feedback earlier on on American classic wide lightning or Terrains both running AC hubs? My Mandarin could be better.

Thanks for the feedback thus far! 

Once you get down to the nitty gritty there are not many "bad" hubs or rims amongst the brand names so it is personal choice.  For me the deciding factor lies with the spokes, spoke count and the builder.

can you recommend a builder?

Edited by AngelourKing

can you recommend a builder?

Where'd you get your American classics from? 

Edited by AngelourKing

Hi,

I'm also riding a 27.5 Anthem Advanced, matt black finish.

A quick side comment, the bike is absolutely brilliant, I have ridden all the XC variations there are, and this is the best I've ridden to date. The stock wheels XCR1 wheels are really good and light, so don't underestimate those stock wheels at all. 

Back to wheels!

Did my research and got me a pair of AC Wide Lightning with IKON EXC/EXO tires.  

I couldnt be happier, but it also pointed out how good those stock wheels are. 

Stock wheels have DT Swiss Internals, and follow very much a XT style design with straight pull spokes and rim.

My vote goes for AC Wide Lightning. :thumbup:

Depends how much money you want to spend.  

I think Arch EX with Hope Hubs is a great combination.  No funny straight or bladed spokes - double butted 2.0/1.8/2.0 Pillar or DT Swiss.  Brass nipples for the win.  

Builder as important (or even more so) than the components.

If you have the cash... reliable brand carbon rims (ENVE, Nox, Diety, Renolds) with light hubs (DT Swiss 240 or Tune King/Kong) really do make a big riding difference.

N.S.

I have ridden Crests for years with stock hubs 3.30 and have ridden Crests with 240S Hubs both on 29er wheels.  Look, theres nothing wrong with a Crest Good hub combo, but the wider rim on the new AC's on the smaller size wheel gets you way more grip than what you need.  Wait is there such a thing as too much grip?

The two drwabacks I have read about on the new AC's are the hub engangement being too big(degrees), old hub design and the rim tape leaking initially.

We also have the Easton Haven 650B's in stock.

Stealth Look and no rider weight limit on Eastons...

http://www.evobikes.co.za/wheels/wheelsets-mtb/easton-haven-27-5-wheelset.html

Thanks Naas, so which would you recommend then?? AM's @ 32mm or the Easton @ 26mm width? Had a look at Easton wheels when I first started looking but the LBS steered me towards the Mavic's. I like the fact that the Easton requires no rim tape, not sure if that is just sales talk and you should put tape on regardless?

Hi,

I'm also riding a 27.5 Anthem Advanced, matt black finish.

A quick side comment, the bike is absolutely brilliant, I have ridden all the XC variations there are, and this is the best I've ridden to date. The stock wheels XCR1 wheels are really good and light, so don't underestimate those stock wheels at all. 

Back to wheels!

Did my research and got me a pair of AC Wide Lightning with IKON EXC/EXO tires.  

I couldnt be happier, but it also pointed out how good those stock wheels are. 

Stock wheels have DT Swiss Internals, and follow very much a XT style design with straight pull spokes and rim.

My vote goes for AC Wide Lightning. :thumbup:

Got the matt black Anthem too. Previous MTB was an Anthem 1 26", 2007 model, so my matt black is a nice upgrade, loving it. Stock rims are pretty good, I would like to move away from tubeless kits etc. Doing some stage races this year and fixing a tyre on the go seems to be easier if it is tubeless and without all the kits. 

David Marshall.

Any contact details? 

Two Easton reviews if you wanna take a read: 

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/tested-easton-haven-27-5-wheelset/   (dated?)

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Wheelsets,44/Easton/Haven-27-5,14131

AC WL: 

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-american-classic-wide-lightning-27-5-tubeless-49027/