New Trail Bike Advice

Spirog

I'm looking to upgrade my Momsen SL 629 to a dual suspension 29'er trail bike.

I've got around 35k to spend.

I like the look of the Trek Fuel Ex 8 as well as the Giant Trance X2.

I do most of my riding on the road, but want this bike for Berg n Bush, Sani 2 Sea and some lekker Karkloof riding. I'm not looking to win the races, just have some proper mid-pack fun.

Any advice or other options would be greatly appreciated.

You must look at the Spez Chamber Evo, R34999........yes, I know it's a Spez, but read the reviews.

post-10227-0-88658500-1423216772_thumb.jpg

Hey Spirog,

Welcome to the wonderful dilemma of what trail bike to own!

Firstly, there is just one point - the Trance & Fuel are 650b bikes, not niners. The Trance used to be a sixer, then a niner, but it's now backed down a wheelsize to 650b.

There are a couple of options to consider in your price range:

Trance X2 with a few upgrades (dropper, maybe a better stronger fork - 32mm stanchions aren't the best at 140mm if you're a heavy bugger)

Specialized Camber (29er)

Trek Fuel

Silverback Slider

Spez Stumpjumer

Rocky Mountain Altitude

Rocky Mountain Instinct

Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

These have varying amounts of travel, along with different head angles and geometry to go with the more / less travel. 

If it were my money - it'd be between the Rocky Altitude (which you can apparently get for just over R 30k) and the Giant Trance (which would be KILLER with a Pike or new Fox 34 at the front)

The Thunderbolt is also another option, but has slightly less travel than the Trance & Altitude. Still a helluva bike though. 

At the end of the day, it'll probably come down to personal choice. The Trance has literally changed the playing field thanks to its ridiculous value for money and performance, and they are I am sure one of the best selling bikes in the world right now. 

As for the Rocky - it's a dark horse but a SERIOUSLY good bike. You just don't see as many of them around. 

Good luck - whatever you choose in this segment, it's going to be a ripper. We're spoiled for choice. Really, we are.

Oh - an outside bet, but one that may be worth considering now that they're being brought in. Transition Scout. Not sure of the pricing, but give the guys at (I think) A-Line a call - it's a 125mm rear travel / 140mm front travel bike, but has been getting rave reviews all over the place. 

That'd be my shortlist. 

Trance

Altitude

Thunderbolt

Scout

In no particular order

Just bought the Camber Evo. It be naaaice. Also look at the Canondale Rush 1, it should leave you with some change for upgrades.

Hey Spirog,

Welcome to the wonderful dilemma of what trail bike to own!

Firstly, there is just one point - the Trance & Fuel are 650b bikes, not niners. The Trance used to be a sixer, then a niner, but it's now backed down a wheelsize to 650b.

There are a couple of options to consider in your price range:

Trance X2 with a few upgrades (dropper, maybe a better stronger fork - 32mm stanchions aren't the best at 140mm if you're a heavy bugger)

Specialized Camber (29er)

Trek Fuel

Silverback Slider

Spez Stumpjumer

Rocky Mountain Altitude

Rocky Mountain Instinct

Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

These have varying amounts of travel, along with different head angles and geometry to go with the more / less travel. 

If it were my money - it'd be between the Rocky Altitude (which you can apparently get for just over R 30k) and the Giant Trance (which would be KILLER with a Pike or new Fox 34 at the front)

The Thunderbolt is also another option, but has slightly less travel than the Trance & Altitude. Still a helluva bike though. 

At the end of the day, it'll probably come down to personal choice. The Trance has literally changed the playing field thanks to its ridiculous value for money and performance, and they are I am sure one of the best selling bikes in the world right now. 

As for the Rocky - it's a dark horse but a SERIOUSLY good bike. You just don't see as many of them around. 

Good luck - whatever you choose in this segment, it's going to be a ripper. We're spoiled for choice. Really, we are.

Oh - an outside bet, but one that may be worth considering now that they're being brought in. Transition Scout. Not sure of the pricing, but give the guys at (I think) A-Line a call - it's a 125mm rear travel / 140mm front travel bike, but has been getting rave reviews all over the place. 

That'd be my shortlist. 

Trance

Altitude

Thunderbolt

Scout

In no particular order

Great advice

....but the Fuel?

Great advice

....but the Fuel?

meh. Are they really competitively priced when comparing against the likes of the Trance and such? I mean it's a good bike, but given a choice, I'd go for the Giant, Rocky or Tranny every time. The only thing that excites me about the Trek is the use of the Penske RE: Aktiv shock on their top of the line models. 

Edited by El Capitan

My wife did Berg&Bush on an EX9 and my son-in-law was on my EX8 - both still the 26er's.

Bikes are good, but are they the best? I don't know, but they are good enough.

Oh - sorry - I see the fuel comes as a niner or a 650. My bad. 

Hahaha....was waiting for that. Knew it was coming :thumbup:

Competitively priced, not on a lot of their models!!

Thanks, guys. There is a ton of advice here.

Why can't you just make it easy and tell me of one bike to buy... :whistling:

I'm around 80 kg - so not too heavy, but not very supple. I want something that is not too stretched out or aggressive up front. 

Who in Jo'burg stocks the Rocky?

You must look at the Spez Chamber Evo, R34999........yes, I know it's a Spez, but read the reviews.

Where do I find this in Jo'burg?

Spez Chamber - phone Eben at West Rand Cycles

Rocky Mountain - the guys at Tool Up in Grey Owl centre behind the Mint on Brakfontein / Olifantsfontein area

Thanks, guys. There is a ton of advice here.

Why can't you just make it easy and tell me of one bike to buy... :whistling:

I'm around 80 kg - so not too heavy, but not very supple. I want something that is not too stretched out or aggressive up front. 

Who in Jo'burg stocks the Rocky? 

Dude its a no brainer the Camber is the shizzle. Best Trail bike out there

I would go Camber comp carbon, new price R39 999, but you can get them for about R35 - 36k if your bike shop loves you. Best all round bike for South African conditions. They have bulletproof wheels, and the parts are a mix of xt and slx with sram cranks. Great bike, and they are stunning looking bikes aswell. 

I have the Evo version of the camber, in Expert trim. Honestly its fantastic, but waaay too much bike for your typical stage race. Also the tyres are very downhill orientated. Normal Camber will be perfect.

Edited by Johny Bravo