Nothing will ever change will it

Muddy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to clarify a few things for those who missed it,

a) I made the assumption that the group was on a CL club ride since almost everybody had the CL club kit on. While there was one particularly verbal individual there were lots of shout from the group because I dared to stop, indicating to me that this action is accepted and supported by the whole group. 

b) I never blamed the club for the actions of its members.

c) I did not rant about the fact that they ignore traffic rules. This is a moot point than is not worth the effort. If you feel the need to do so go ahead. My rant is about this being so accepted that there are people who actually abuse those who do actually obey the rules

d) When I stopped at the red light I was probably 300 meters in front of the group already after overtaking them.

I rode with cycle lab 2 weeks ago and at briefing we were told 'obey rules of the road and stop at red robots' all went well and we obeyed all rules and robots until we got to the robot at aerosud in Pierre van rynveld, I was near the front and stopped for the red robot, I nearly caused the biggest pile up ever, cyclists shot past left and right and were very pi..ed off, when I caught them again I asked 'don't we stop for red'? not that one was the answer, so it seems they only stop when it suits them, I now ride with a smaller group that obeys all rules, even a group of cyclists are no match for a single car.

Oh please do! and make sure you don't edit out the all the other cyclists who jump robots, ride 4 abreast, pass when it isn't safe to do so, don't wear helmets, stop in the middle of the yellow lane to ensure that no-one can get round, drop gu/goo/whatever packets on the the road, ride the wrong way up the mountain bike path, shout abuse at other riders passing because they feel they have the right to own the road etc etc etc!. Hell I'm sick to death of people constantly lambasting Cyclelab! yes I do ride with them, Yes I do marshal for them, yes I do my damndest to keep people in line, yes I take it as a personal affront when people keep knocking the club because they saw someone doing something wrong. Why don't we open a thread where we can post every single jersey that we see that does something wrong road. There isn't a single club or group that hasn't at one stage or another broken cycling rules. No-one is that good! The difference is, I try, we try, the club really does try to get people to ride safely and as correctly as possible. No I don't work for them, I just try enjoy my rides on a weekend! And yes, I do shout out when other riders go through the red robot, cause sure as your grandma sucks eggs, someone will blame cyclelab on Monday.

What consequences are there for the members that ignore your instructions?

If there are none then your rant is pointless.

What consequences are there for the members that ignore your instructions?

If there are none then your rant is pointless.

Herein lies the problem. If there is a blantant disregard for the rules and (this is the kicker) we are able to identify the person, the club will investigate. If the person is deemed to have brought the club into disrepute, they will be removed from the club. Yeah before you lambast me, this is all theory. Works fantastically in a perfect world. Personally, if someone is riding like a tosser on my marshalled ride, I will chat "politely" to them and after that tell them to remove themselves from our ride. (I then do report it to the club). (We have requested paintball guns for marshals to take on rides and name and shame with a bright yellow "dot" but it was deemed dangerous and counter productive. Not sure why?) I think the point of my rant is not so much to say "hey we're angels and it doesn't happen to us" The issue is I'm tired of ALWAYS taking the hits. CL is probably the biggest club in the Cradle and is the most visible. Is everyone in the Cradle wearing CL kit on the club ride(or even a member for that matter)? Hell no! Are they the only transgressors? Hell no! Are they the only ones who "give" abuse? Hell no and I can personally attest to this. An idiot on a bike will always be an idiot on a bike not matter what club they ride for, but to brand CL as the Prime Evil is like saying (and get the popcorn) all BMW/Merc/Audi (pick one) drivers are jerks.

It's because so many people are used to pushing the boundaries of the law in their daily life.

How many people stop and stay behind the line at a red robot, creeping across? How many go through red because they traveling to fast to stop or just could not be bothered???

It's become a way of life, blame it on decaying morals, lack of law enforcement or whatever, it's become a way of life.

It's the prevailing culture in this country, from business to politics to daily shopping, I call it the **** you me first principle.............. welcome to sunny Zumababwe

Herein lies the problem. If there is a blantant disregard for the rules and (this is the kicker) we are able to identify the person, the club will investigate. If the person is deemed to have brought the club into disrepute, they will be removed from the club. Yeah before you lambast me, this is all theory. Works fantastically in a perfect world. Personally, if someone is riding like a tosser on my marshalled ride, I will chat "politely" to them and after that tell them to remove themselves from our ride. (I then do report it to the club). (We have requested paintball guns for marshals to take on rides and name and shame with a bright yellow "dot" but it was deemed dangerous and counter productive. Not sure why?) I think the point of my rant is not so much to say "hey we're angels and it doesn't happen to us" The issue is I'm tired of ALWAYS taking the hits. CL is probably the biggest club in the Cradle and is the most visible. Is everyone in the Cradle wearing CL kit on the club ride(or even a member for that matter)? Hell no! Are they the only transgressors? Hell no! Are they the only ones who "give" abuse? Hell no and I can personally attest to this. An idiot on a bike will always be an idiot on a bike not matter what club they ride for, but to brand CL as the Prime Evil is like saying (and get the popcorn) all BMW/Merc/Audi (pick one) drivers are jerks.

With being the biggest and most visible/popular comes the negative of being in the firing line. We see this with brands (Spez) sports teams (Manchester United, Team Sky,) and these days beers too (anything SAB is "too main stream") people love to hate on the visible ones, remember its cool to be anti establishment.

So dont take it personally, take a breath, chillax and do your bit to make improvements where you can, thats all we can really do barring the paintball gun idea :)

Edited by Patchelicious

Why a paintball gun?? Why not a spraypaint can in lumo green or Pink

Pepper spray rather.

One or two mad crashes while blind with pain would sort them out.

With being the biggest and most visible/popular comes the negative of being in the firing line. We see this with brands (Spez) sports teams (Manchester United, Team Sky,) and these days beers too (anyhting SAB is not "too main stream") people love to hate on the visible ones, remember its cool to be anti establishment.

So dont take it personally, take a breath, chillax and do your bit to make improvements where you can, thats all we can really do barring the paintball gun idea :)

You went and ruined a perfectly good post there by including the words Manchester & United.  :w00t:

• 1 month later...

Love the paintball gun idea!!!

Seems this is an old thread, but for what its worth I can confirm as a (now) former member, all the fourways groups I have ridden in (mostly C groups) certainly don't jump lights, and the culture has become one where if someone steps out of line its not only the marshalls that will quickly step in.  the personal anecdotes of some of the CTN and Pretoria lab guys seems to contradict this, so perhaps CL need to bring their provincial colonies back in line (PS I don't think the centurion club is actually affiliated with CL anymore as the shop isn't?)

Edited by dracs

Yip!! Looks like Cyclelab is at it again. After all, they are cycling and they are jumping a red robot so they must be Cyclelab riders right?

LOL

FYI, I ride with Cyclelab every saturday and I am proud to state that. The bunches I ride in don't jump red robots and we do try to ride 2 abreast