Cape Epic 2015 - 1x11 Chainring Advice!

gabyraff

You going to walk more then you will be riding I used a 3x10 last year and we walked must of the climbs .But it’s your dissension I'll invest in  a pair of good walking shoes!! :clap:  :w00t: 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked after 6 teams at the 2014 edition of the Epic. 7 of the riders were on 1x11. 1 @ 36, 3 @ 34, 3 @ 32

The strongest team was aiming for a top 25 finish but blew it on day 1 when the guy on the 36 blade hit the hills. Limped in around 130th on the day, absolutely shattered, surprised by the severity of the climbing and the duration of the stage.

I fitted a 34 that night, they finished top 30 every other stage but ended in the top 50 due to stage 1 and the 36 blade. 

And with respect to you, this guy was a beast.  So, unless you think you are a top 20 team, my advice would be to avoid the 36. You are just not strong enough over 800km and 16,000m of climbing.

Don't worry about top end, the Epic is not about going fast on flat gravel roads. Focus on being able to spin up a 10% gradient at 10+kph at 90 cadence.

Thanks!!! Im taking notes!!!

Gaby I am no expert cyclist or attempting the epic this year. My training buddy that is doing the Epic trains on a 32 and if he can get his hand on a 30, he will go with a 30. I am sure the Epic regulars will assist.

Good luck with the event!

thanks!

Thanks to all for your inputs! All notes have been taken, I will keep my 34t and try to find a 32t, however Im pretty confident haha, Ill let you know post race what happened! thanks again

Coming from 36T (1x10) on my training bike vs racing bike which has 32t (1x11) I'm pretty confident I shall be ok. Tested it at Attakwas, Tankwa Trek, Meerendal Ultra Marathon & even on Stage 1 of 2015 Epic Route already.

Hi

I looked at this discussion from the side and know if I stick my head out I will get shot...I changed from a 2 x 10 to 1 x 10. I had a 42-28 at the front and normal at the back. I always felt I need something in the middle to do all..so I went into the Attakwas without training on it with a 42-11 at the back and 36 at the front.

I felt and still is so smooth. I now climbed mountains where I could not get out more easily. The 42 at back now feels the same as my 28 blade with standard cassette at the back.

I did not feel sore in or after the Atta and was a great gamble..I should have done a sub 6 six in Atta but due to stupidity I managed a 6:18. Next year I will take a half an hour off..with that blade.

I weigh about 68 kg so maybe that helps,and I am quite tall.

Regards and like to hear the reply.

Kotie

Good luck dude, I finally decided this weekend at Sabie that I will be changing my 32t chainring to a 30t for the Epic.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Thanks NINJA, Ill start with a 32t and see what happens!

Most of the guys aiming for top 10 run a 34 tooth. Some even a 32. The logic being that you will make up more time on the climbs bring able to spin and save your legs than the few seconds lost on downhills. If your spinning out a aero tuck will probably be faster anyway . And those guys are beasts.

• 2 weeks later...

Been training with a 32T from Absolute Black (Oval jobbies similar to Rotor) so it's pretty much a 34 on the biggest part and a 30 on the stroke where you don't have power.

However, I have decided to go for a normal 30T for prologue and stage 1 - you can always go up to a bigger ring from there... pretty pointless to start too high, do the damage and then try and recover.

Min dae!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did the prologue on the 32t and then switched to the 30t for the rest. Very happy I did that. I almost never walked the climbs, except for that short loose rocky section on Stage 7 on Paardeberg.

good to know..planning on the big one next year so good to get some feedback.. currently use a 34T and then for lots of climbing normally the 32T and this seems to work most things but never did more than 1800m climbing in a day...

good to know..planning on the big one next year so good to get some feedback.. currently use a 34T and then for lots of climbing normally the 32T and this seems to work most things but never did more than 1800m climbing in a day...

I did both Barberton and Sabie Ultras with the 32t no problem, but was glad I took the 30t along to the Epic.