Thule Fixed Tow Bar

Funky

Hi Hubbers,

Just looking to find out if anyone has installed an aftermarket Thule Fixed Towbar on a VW Golf (GTI) or any other car for that matter, & what is your thoughts on the product. 

I am looking for a solution to carry 2 bikes, and am against the roof racks & was advised against the hatch back carriers because the boot spoiler could get damaged.

The Thule fitment center quoted me R3100 for the fixed tow bar & then R1200 for the 2 bike carrier, so all fitted R4300.

My only concern was how it will look on the vehicle, as they would need to cut  into the bottom of the bumper to install the tow bar.

I've been told that I should maybe visit a Kwik fit etc, as it might be cheaper & they do the Bosal tow bars, but not sure as those ones may not look as good as the thule ones.

Any thoughts, ideas, advise for me on this one.

Thanks guys...

Hi Hubbers,

Just looking to find out if anyone has installed an aftermarket Thule Fixed Towbar on a VW Golf (GTI) or any other car for that matter, & what is your thoughts on the product. 

I am looking for a solution to carry 2 bikes, and am against the roof racks & was advised against the hatch back carriers because the boot spoiler could get damaged.

The Thule fitment center quoted me R3100 for the fixed tow bar & then R1200 for the 2 bike carrier, so all fitted R4300.

My only concern was how it will look on the vehicle, as they would need to cut  into the bottom of the bumper to install the tow bar.

I've been told that I should maybe visit a Kwik fit etc, as it might be cheaper & they do the Bosal tow bars, but not sure as those ones may not look as good as the thule ones.

Any thoughts, ideas, advise for me on this one.

Thanks guys...

Make sure that the towbar you are going to fit is VW approved

Ask your VW dealer for an installed price on the towbar....

After you have got over the sticker shock, then consider any issues with warrantees and motorplan you might have with an aftermarket setup - I had to have my Touareg's towbar electronics redone completely by the dealer after the aftermarket installer got it wrong... (he did use the VW electronics kit for the bar)

Thanks for the feedback so far...

As I will not be ever be using the tow bar to tow a trailer or anything else (only for my bikes) they guy says that I do not have to have the electronics done, so just fit the towbar only. As he says that's when I may have issues with the warranty etc.

So he said he won't have to touch the electronics box at all. (but will stop by VW to find out if it is an approved one).

Thoughts...?

As I will not be ever be using the tow bar to tow a trailer or anything else (only for my bikes) they guy says that I do not have to have the electronics done, so just fit the towbar only. As he says that's when I may have issues with the warranty etc.

So he said he won't have to touch the electronics box at all. (but will stop by VW to find out if it is an approved one).

Thoughts...?

The law stipulates that your taillights may not be obstructed in any way, so you will have to use a light board if you want to stay legal

Thoughts...?

Your rack HAS to have lights and a number plate by law.

Can't get away with a half job unfortunately.

We bought our Polo back in 2013, and the dealer had one of these fitted.  My fiancee didn't realise there was a problem and drove back to Jo'burg, from collecting the car in Durban, with no rear lights.  No lights AT ALL.

It look Thule nearly 2 months to try and resolve the issue, which they couldn't.  The dealer took it upon themselves to remove the unit and replace it with a genuine VW unit and replace the wiring harness to get it all to work.

Unfortunately, think twice about a non-VW unit.  The VW will cost more, but probably less hassle in the end.

Thoughts...?

He doesn't know what hes talking about.

Like LOOK and V12 said you have to have lights on the bike rack. As far as I know all the THULE towbar bike racks come with lights and number plate holder. Sounds like the guy just wants to fit it and take your hard earned money.

He doesn't know what hes talking about.

Like LOOK and V12 said you have to have lights on the bike rack. As far as I know all the THULE towbar bike racks come with lights and number plate holder. Sounds like the guy just wants to fit it and take your hard earned money.

No they dont. Only the Euroway and Ride On's do. The normal clip on ones at R1200.00 are mimalmist jobs.

FWIW I have never seen anyone with a clip on run and additional lightboard. I've seen the odd guy mount a license plate, and that's about it. 

Edited by Skott5

No they dont. Only the Euroway and Ride On's do. The normal clip on ones at R1200.00 are mimalmist jobs.

FWIW I have never seen anyone with a clip on run and additional lightboard. I've seen the odd guy mount a license plate, and that's about it. 

Those ones that don't have the lights are the ones that the bike is secured on via clamping the top tube. They not very safe, iv seen plenty bikes get damaged when going over bumps or slopes and the wheels get knocked on the ground. Better choice would be the ride on or euro series.

I have a Thule towbar on my Polo, and it was well worth it. The Bosal is about the same price, but the Thule looks so much better. It is also very solid, and I use a 4 bike platform rack on it.

Do not go cheap and get one of those SA Towbar ones, if you do ever put a 4 bike rack onto it, it flexes all over the place and you freak out every time you look in your rear view mirror.

I have a Thule towbar on my Polo, and it was well worth it. The Bosal is about the same price, but the Thule looks so much better. It is also very solid, and I use a 4 bike platform rack on it.

Do not go cheap and get one of those SA Towbar ones, if you do ever put a 4 bike rack onto it, it flexes all over the place and you freak out every time you look in your rear view mirror.

Not sure which towbar sa one you had flexing on you?

When I changed cars to the new polo - had to shop around. Thule at R3800, compared to Towbar SA at R2000 I went the towbar SA option.

Sure it doesn't look as good as the thule one agreed - but does the job perfectly well with the Euro Ride 3 bike carrier on it and 3 bikes on that most of the time.

Not sure which towbar sa one you had flexing on you?

When I changed cars to the new polo - had to shop around. Thule at R3800, compared to Towbar SA at R2000 I went the towbar SA option.

Sure it doesn't look as good as the thule one agreed - but does the job perfectly well with the Euro Ride 3 bike carrier on it and 3 bikes on that most of the time.

It's the one that has a wide, flat looking piece of metal coming out from under the bumper. With 4 bikes on a platform rack it flexes up an down excessively, and is very distracting in the rear view mirror. It was about R1800 about a year ago, luckily it wasn't my purchase ^_^

With this particular model, they also seemed to have only attached it to the cars chassis, and not replaced the metal "under-bumper" like they do with other ones.