Site announcement: Forum Restructuring

Matt

Hi Matt

I somehow think that this has been discussed/considered or maybe I dreamt that it has ????. Distributors would love a Special "commercial" area where stores and distributors can find each oher. Stores could request product and distributors could offer product. There could potentially be a monthly charge for this with measures for controlled and approved access to this area. The Site Sponsors area is great for direct sales but not suitable for B2B.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Andrew

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Validating which posts count as valid contributions is also a tough one.

Posts liked or unliked are not always based on merit. Even if posts (or likes thereof) weighed more depending on which forums they came from.

I might make a valuable suggestion in the tech thread. Then get a few likes in agreement.

But a quick pun in the same thread is often rewarded by fellow members based on its  entertainment value.

I suggest that mods monitor the threads that count.

With an option to like comments themselves. If a member makes a valid contribution.

A site moderators recognition thereof should weigh heavily in the members favour.

More so than just any member. Reserved for only the most valuable contributions to cycling and the forum itself.

I'm not trying to get rid of the jokes here. Its the reason I keep coming back.

I mess around as much as anyone else around here.

But I don't think that sterilising the hub is the answer.

Special recognition should go to those who keep this place alive with valuable content. And not recognition based on how many posts or likes you may have.

I'm sure there was talk of a LIKE/DISLIKE button.

What if the person's status as a member is reviewed based on the number of DISLIKE hits they receive? Instead of flaming someone for something they said - you only have to DISLIKE the comment. The ratio of LIKES vs DISLIKES will give an impression of the person's general attitude towards others.

An alternative would be a demerit system - suspended after X number of DISLIKES and banned once above a certain level. LIKES have no bearing on the demerit system.

My 2c worth

The problem with this is 'bandwagon voting'

Its evident on wavescape and reddit have even done something to curtail it.

Comment scores are hidden for 60 minutes from the time it was posted.

That way members upvote or downvote comments based on their own oppinion instead of just agreeing with others

As an upstanding member who supports lbs and reads more than he shoots his mouth off I will take years to get to 1000 posts .

But I respect your rule so please don't buy that bargain I have discounted to below cost as I need to move it before my wife sees dbl carbon duallies

Don't worry Miles. I know you personally and will hapily sell to you. :P

Admin, just a small thing to look at.

The drop down menu from the navigation bar at the top of the page. Forum > Tech Shack > 

"Bike Shops & Services" is missing in the menu.

I atill think that the best way to get rid of spammers and scammers is to have the first 5 or so posts of new members to be moderated, before they become full members. I know it will be a hassle for the forum admins and mods, but will be the easiest way to get rid of undesirables.

Agreed it is and suggestions are welcome for a better name.

With Rants and Raves moving to their relevant forums the theme of "The Bike Room" is somewhat muddy. The intent is that this would be a place for new members to introduce themselves and any chatter related to bikes, but not fitting in elsewhere. Although ideally the forum structure should cater for most if not all bike related discussion.

As I've said please give your input on where we can add to or improve the structure, even if just a better name / description for some.

The link is given a prominent position on the drop down menu, so I presume you are considering it as one of the more important forums.

Anyway, within its remit (newbies, general bike related and semi bike related chatter etc), why not call it "The Deep End" everyone can dive in.

Edited by SAGecko

Is this bike room thingie for site sponsors too?

Not for commercially driven content - that should only be in the Site Sponsors forum. 

Not for commercially driven content - that should only be in the Site Sponsors forum. 

Ah, cool. Just saw some threads pop up there.

If a thread is moved from the bike room, should the topic heading still be visible there?

The link is given a prominent position on the drop down menu, so I presume you are considering it as one of the more important forums.

Anyway, within its remit (newbies, general bike related and semi bike related chatter etc), why not call it "The Deep End" everyone can dive in.

The positioning in the menu is something we've been discussing. From a newbie point of view it would make sense that a introduction type forum it is the first on the list, but for everyone else it just lands up being the default choice, even if there is a more obvious and better fit further down the list. 

One of the improvements we're implementing is a better "Post new topic" feature which lets you choose the appropriate forum. This should lessen the influence of the forum positioning on where topics get posted.  

Currently the way it works is that the topic will be posted in which ever forum you're viewing when you click on "New topic". So for those who know this the process of creating a new topic is clunky and for those who don't topics get created in forums where they don't belong due to the somewhat unintuitive process. Naturally this results in a bias towards the first on the list, so even if the "Bike Room" was further down, whichever was then at the top would become the new default.

In the Classifieds section, as an example, a user is presented with a whole screen of categories to choose from. Previously a drop down menu was used which often resulted in incorrect classifications simply as a result of the list being long and difficult to navigate.

We'll soon implement a similar category/forum selection screen for new topics. This will go a long way in improving correct classification of topics when first posting. 

Ah, cool. Just saw some threads pop up there.

If a thread is moved from the bike room, should the topic heading still be visible there?

It shouldn't be visible there after moving. I see there was one in particular which had left a "moved to" link which has now been corrected. 

We still need to do a fair chunk of clean up in the Bike Room forum in terms of moving threads to more relevant forums.

Hi Admin,

Would it be possible to show the "Off topic" thread options in the "Forums" drop down menu and the "Off topic discussions" latest posts viewing pane when a user is not logged in?

Currently I can see them only when I login.

Thanks