The worst Wheels-Shimano WH R550s

Wheelsuck

It is funny (and unusual) how one wheelset can have such varied reviews and opinions.  When the 550's first came out, they were reviewed positively by all the mags overseas.  The first users of the wheels seemed happy, with very few having anything negative to say about the wheels.  Not sure what Shimano did, but the last batch of wheels (2006 model?) especially the OEM wheels seem to have been pretty dodgy.  My guess is the factory or manufacturing method was changed and not for the better.

Shimano 550 have a limit of 85kg, but not all shops are aware or if they are they do not tell you. One guy i sometimes ride with had no problem until he ballooned from 82kg to 89, thereafter he kept breaking spokes. Had Mavic Opens Pro built and problem was solved.

Mampara' date=' that's actually amazing, I disagree with you on virtually everything there. Wow.[/quote']

It just because you don't know what you are taliking about. I won't hold it against you. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Just an Update, the wheels went to Shimano to check and Jade at Cool Heat has handled it very professionally and issued me with a credit. Well done to Cool Heat and Jade.Clap 

I had a pair of the 535's, bought them in 2003, they looked so nice on my blue raleigh RC3000 I had then, but they were the worst wheels ever. In one year I broke 12 spokes. I eventualy threw them away.

I saw a guy 2 years ago at hyper2hyper actualy kicking out his own spokes in anger after having the same recurring problem.

I will never buy shimano wheels again.

Custom wheels. Use Chris King hubs, DT spokes and Mavic rim. No problem. I'm 96kg's now, but have been using them when I was over a 100kg's.

Thumbs%20Up

Jade is one of the nicest and most professional guys i have ever dealt with. Be it fixing or replacing shimano parts, or mavic bearings etc, he is always willing to go the extra mile for you. I have met with him many times over the years (at Western Flyer and Cool Heat), and he always has time to give advice or for a quick chat. And i honestly dont mind paying a bit more to get my parts / wheels through Cool Heat, because i know if there is any comeback, Jade will sort it out no problem.

If only the reps from the other suppliers were as helpful as he is!

Clap

Thumbs%20Up

Jade is one of the nicest and most professional guys i have ever dealt with. Be it fixing or replacing shimano parts' date=' or mavic bearings etc, he is always willing to go the extra mile for you. I have met with him many times over the years (at Western Flyer and Cool Heat), and he always has time to give advice or for a quick chat. And i honestly dont mind paying a bit more to get my parts / wheels through Cool Heat, because i know if there is any comeback, Jade will sort it out no problem.

If only the reps from the other suppliers were as helpful as he is!

Clap
[/quote']

I'll back you 100% as I speak to jade on a daily basis, and ride with him often, I can tell you confidently that its very rarely he'll turn a GENUINE warranty away without going out of his way to sort it out. What I can tell you is the claims that don't get dealt with are the ones where the customer/LBS hasn't provided him with a GENUINE proof of purchase, as there are certain criteria that need to be met before a warranty claim can be approved by Shimano international.

If these aren't met then there's no warranty its as simple as that. So he can't help you if you don't help him.