The worst Wheels-Shimano WH R550s

Wheelsuck

On Jokemans post of the best wheels I have wanted to post this some time now but have been hesitant.

The worst wheels for me are Shimano RH550s. I got them as part of an insurance replacement and started using them as training wheels, what k#k wheels, the are like riding on pizza dough and they have to be trued almost every second week.

Do you guys and gals think I should take it up with Shimano or will I just be fobbed off?

Wheelsuck......please,please take it up with Shimano. I had a warrentee claim on my front Dura Ace wheel and received excellent service.

Cool Heat in Rivonia are the suppliers of Shimano in SA.......

Give them a tinkle as I'm sure they will assist

I had a set of 550's, stock on my bike.

No one ever told me they have a weight limit of 86kg's!!!!

They also constantly needed truing and bent as soon as I pushed hard.

Never really had anything to compare them to, but my LBS (not where I bought the bike from) replaced them with Bontrager Selects which have been pretty good so far.

Not sure how much joy you'll get from cool heat - let us know.

On Jokemans post of the best wheels I have wanted to post this some time now but have been hesitant.

The worst wheels for me are Shimano RH550s. I got them as part of an insurance replacement and started using them as training wheels' date=' what k#k wheels, the are like riding on pizza dough and they have to be trued almost every second week.

Do you guys and gals think I should take it up with Shimano or will I just be fobbed off?

[/quote']

how much do you weigh?

how much do you weigh?

Don't think its a weight problem-74kgs.

I spoke to Jade at Cool Heat and he has been very helpfull-will see what happens finally but he has really tried to help even when the wheels have been used for a couple of months. 

Big%20smile

I use the 550's as one of my training wheelset's....thus far I have had no problems ......... should I do I will contact Shimano...

"DT Thumbs%20Up"

Yeah' date=' big boys must go custom![/quote'] Custom tends to break as well..ask one of the biggest boys around..me! LOL

2006 Campy Vento...brilliant wheel and cheaper than a custom built set..Clap

I found the 550's to be good training wheels. Especially the older ones with the paired spokes. But then again I only weigh 67kg's.....Big%20smile

Sies Mud Dee and Titus I am sensitive about my weight, Embarrassed 

think I will join the girls the next time they have a weight related thread. and moan about food, "want julle verstaan nie (tipies mans)" How am I doing so far girls?

Doing well Wheelsuck!;-)

Also have those on my bike. Got them with the bike when the insurance paid out&will prob only replace them once I mess them up. (ja...I crash to upgrade)

Train and race with them and thus far haven't had any problems. (then again, I probably don't ride nearly as hard as you guys)

Doing well Wheelsuck!;-)

Also have those on my bike. Got them with the bike when the insurance paid out&will prob only replace them once I mess them up. (ja...I crash to upgrade)

Train and race with them and thus far haven't had any problems. (then again, I probably don't ride nearly as hard as you guys)

And don't forget u don't even weigh much as us guysWink, tell me does my bum look big in this?Cry. See I'm getting good at this guilt-girl-thing.

550's are the worst wheels ive ever had! i got a pair on a Raleigh RC6000, which i stripped, rebuilt the frame with old parts and gave it to my brother. All i wanted was the 105 10 speed and the wheels.

Big mistake! i should have kept the old 105 / Mavic wheels that my brother now has. Ive had the wheels trued, and the bearings adjusted a few times already by different bike shops. Always the same results....

The real wheel constantly went out of true, and the bearings are rough. My rear wheel hit a cat eye on a training ride once at about 40km/h, and one of the breaking surfaces on the rim folded inwards to about 45 degrees for about 2 cm! The tube didnt deflate, the tyre was fine, but the rim was stuffed. So i took a pair of pliers and bent it back straight, and now i only use it on my home trainer.  The front wheel lies in the corner of my room, unused as the bearings are so bad that it harldy turns. I cant be bothered taking them anywhere to get fixed, as ill most likley just have the same problems again.

Im not overweight (73kg), and i really look after my stuff. I rode them just the same as my other wheels, but they didnt last. IMO 550's are rubbish. Shimano will have to do a lot to get me to buy another set of thier wheels. For now ill stick to Ksyriums and Zipps.

hehehe wheelsuck, i use 540's for training and 550's for racing and no probs at all, but then again i have to admit i might weigh less than you - sub-60kg Wink

you are definately mastering the weight discussion techniques LOL

I still believe certain items should only be made by certain companies;

Road Gears = Shimano and Campag

MTB gears = Sram and Shimano

Wheels = Mavic, Zipp

Handlebars = ITM and Easton

MTB breaks = Hayes and Magura

Road Cranks = FSA

MTB cranks = FSA and Race Face