Safe Cycling Initiative from PPA - Stay wider of the rider

carbon29er

To promote safer cycling for all those who use bicycles, the Safe Cycling Initiative from PPA has specifically targeted motorists through our new campaign.

We have recruited high profile celebrities from a non cycling background to personalise and convey our message to all road users to stay wider of the rider.  All we are asking for is to give us space and share the road with us.

We have print adverts, radio spots, bumper stickers, awareness rides and the new lumo high visibility cycling shirt.

Attached are some of personalities we are using. And the bumper sticker.

post-35786-0-15241300-1424243542_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-32445500-1424243543_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-91547800-1424243545_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-98049000-1424243546_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-65284600-1424243547_thumb.jpg

Attached are a few of the print ads we are running nationally over the nest 3 weeks in the lead up to the Cycle Tour.  We aim to repeat these over the year prior to major events as they occur and more cyclists hit the roads.

Joel had a fractured clavicle so couldn't put his #staywider jersey on...

Radio spots nationally during drive time and on weekend mornings when cyclists on the road.

post-35786-0-76666800-1424243670_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-45121900-1424243736_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-05737800-1424243737_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-77812400-1424243874_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-24622100-1424243878_thumb.jpg

Good job Rob!!!!

My only criticism of the safe cycling initiative is that there is never any public information on what the status of ongoing investigations and rulings are regarding the people involved in all of these statistics. We hear about how PPA and other cycling safety bodies get involved in information gathering around all of the incidents in their locations of interest and then never hear anything further. The most used comment, is that the investigation is ongoing and it's a sensitive time for broadcasting of details, but their is never a useful update or a conclusion to proceedings when these happen. As such the news around all of these incidents is almost entirely the shock of the bad news when another new accident happens and the cycling community tries to wrap its head around the details of what and how this one happened so we can each prepare better, for when we are on the road individually ourselves! We need to hear what is happening to the follow up of all the incidents that have occurred as well, rather than just imagine that nothing has come of the drivers responsible for these acts on our fellow cycling family! 

Cannot get to the pre argus ride to qualify for the early start group - but will these shirts be for sale at the expo ?

Edit:

agree with Tubehunter........... great job !!!

Shirts will be on sale at the Expo at the Souvenir sale section immediately after registration.

The collation and support around accidents is an area we are aiming to improve significantly. We are looking at easier ways to report incidents and more streamlined methods to pursue "dockets" through the process.

This is definitely an important part of the campaign.

Initiatives like these are great. So much more that what CSA ever did for me. What upsets me is the fact that after all the hard work put into a campaign like this you still find way too many cyclist who wants to 'own the road' by riding in the middle of it. How do they then expect the car to Stay Wider of the Rider?

Keep up the good work PPA. Hopefully common sense among cyclists will prevail at some stage.

Shirts will be on sale at the Expo at the Souvenir sale section immediately after registration.

The collation and support around accidents is an area we are aiming to improve significantly. We are looking at easier ways to report incidents and more streamlined methods to pursue "dockets" through the process.

This is definitely an important part of the campaign.

:thumbup:

Initiatives like these are great. So much more that what CSA ever did for me. What upsets me is the fact that after all the hard work put into a campaign like this you still find way too many cyclist who wants to 'own the road' by riding in the middle of it. How do they then expect the car to Stay Wider of the Rider?

Keep up the good work PPA. Hopefully common sense among cyclists will prevail at some stage.

Here's a video to help with why cyclists take the middle of the lane when there is no shoulder for them to safely ride in. This should explain everything related to the reasons. Bear in mind it is shot in the US so for all their right, we'll be on the left...