From a Pony to a Beast

Beast Tech

And so the parts start rolling in slowly....  Firstly, the keepers from the old rig....gallery_39047_1543_232140.jpg

• 36t Raceface narrow ride chain ring 
  • Short cage 9 speed XT rear derailer (Yes I am still 9 speed, I like it)
  • 1x Sram GXP cranks (Old but honestly the best cranks in the world!) 
  • Deity dirty30 760mm handlebars with a truvativ 50mm stem
  • 1x GXP BB
  • MRP chain guide
  • Mountain king 2.4 tyre
  • Some DT swiss rim with a XT hub (wheel to upgade in the future but good for now) 
  • Raceface lizard skin grips 
  • XT 9 speed cassete 
And for some new parts....gallery_39047_1543_368987.jpgGiant Flat pedals (My mate swears by these so no harm in trying them out, always can change
  • SLX Ice tech brakes (no point in getting the XT)
And then the backbone, the YETI SB 66gallery_39047_1543_92133.jpg To arrive early this week are the rest of the parts, then the build begins...
  • 203mm XT ice tec rotor 
  • 190mm XT ice tec rotor
  • 2.4 mountain king "protection" 
  • SLX shifters 
Wish list, when I have the cash to spend probably a dropper...  Hope all arrives and then the excitement starts!

Such a cool feeling of anticipation. .... you must be itching!!

Keep us posted :)

And so the parts start rolling in slowly.... 

Firstly, the keepers from the old rig....

gallery_39047_1543_232140.jpg

• 36t Raceface narrow ride chain ring 
  • Short cage 9 speed XT rear derailer (Yes I am still 9 speed, I like it)
  • 1x Sram GXP cranks (Old but honestly the best cranks in the world!) 
  • Deity dirty30 760mm handlebars with a truvativ 50mm stem
  • 1x GXP BB
  • MRP chain guide
  • Mountain king 2.4 tyre
  • Some DT swiss rim with a XT hub (wheel to upgade in the future but good for now) 
  • Raceface lizard skin grips 
  • XT 9 speed cassete 
And for some new parts....

gallery_39047_1543_368987.jpgGiant Flat pedals (My mate swears by these so no harm in trying them out, always can change

• SLX Ice tech brakes (no point in getting the XT)
And then the backbone, the YETI SB 66

gallery_39047_1543_92133.jpg

To arrive early this week are the rest of the parts, then the build begins...

• 203mm XT ice tec rotor 
  • 190mm XT ice tec rotor
  • 2.4 mountain king "protection" 
  • SLX shifters 
Wish list, when I have the cash to spend probably a dropper... 

Hope all arrives and then the excitement starts!

Aren't you missing somethin... It is either a very strange unicycle or you are going to need a fork.

Very exciting dude!

I like that MRP guide you sporting there too;)

Keep it up...

Thanks for sharing the build

• 3 weeks later...

A little late, but been busy. Bike was complete about two weeks ago. Been taking it for a few good spins around town just sorting out some strange noises but all is good now. So here she is. The beast that has replaced the Pony.... My Yeti SB66

gallery_39047_1543_35069.jpg

gallery_39047_1543_426557.jpg

Honestly, I have no words... It rides like a machine. The front fork eats up anything and the longer top tube with a slack ass head angle (66.5) takes technical downhill in it's stride. Honestly the faster it goes the more comfortable it feels, it honestly comes down to how big your balls are because at times you do get a little worried. But getting used to it quickly. Surprisingly nimble in the corners only issue is the 760 bars I may want to shorten to 740 but will see. 

This build really would not have been possible without the following, just want to say thanks to some people that I would highly suggest to anyone doing a build

- Bibi at Zion Bikes 

- Matt at Dial'd bikes 

- Matt at Buycycle 

- Everyone at the hub for sourcing the frame from a great guy! 

- Linden Cycles for all my small requests when I needed little parts (great service)

- Mikes Bikes for having everything Linden didn't have (great service) 

On the shopping list soon....

- Dropper post 

- 1x10 conversion (runnning 1x9 at the moment) 

And my only concern is going that this is my first experience in tubeless. I have ripped the front tyre off the rim 3 times and the back tyre keeps on sliding out beneath me. It is concerning.... running at about 2 bar on both and the conversion was done by a great shop. So it's either the Continental tyres or just I ride too fast which can't be the case.

Edited by Alien8

Turned out so cool!

I will be keen to see some more feedback when you have bombed some tech trails. .. where is the roughest you have taken her so far?

If it was my ride I would switch tyres ... MK on front and XK on rear - I've had much better results with that combo.

Thanks for sharing. Happy trails!

Looks BRILLIANT!!! Oh, one problem. Red and black is so passé. Here's a colour wheel for you to consult.

:P

Anyway. 100% agreed with trailer. X king MUST go on the back. Switch it NOW. It's the protection version, so it'll be better served on the back what with the rolling you're experiencing at the moment and the Mountie is the more aggressive tyre. By far.

Dooo eeet!

Mooi sled. I must say. PROPPER All mountain mischief.

I wouldnt bother with the drive train upgrade till that cassette, chain or shifter need replacing. I'd save for that dropper first.

Now for your review on that fork.

Mooi sled. I must say. PROPPER All mountain mischief.

I wouldnt bother with the drive train upgrade till that cassette, chain or shifter need replacing. I'd save for that dropper first.

Now for your review on that fork.

Fully agreed. Nothing wrong with a 9 speed setup.

Or a neat set of GOAM TNT 2.4s ;)

You've done a great job and your feed is most encouraging as well.

It is awesome having Hubber give such great feedback.

The enthusiasm is tangible.

Brilliant

Thanks for the awesome feedback! Black and red was just a childhood dream so the 5 year old within me is happy every time I see the bike! 

Will do the changes to the tyres this week and see how much of a difference it makes, it makes sense so I hope it solves the problem. Looking forward to keeping the tyres on for longer than one section! 

The most technical it has done so far is Rietvlei and Thaba. Both felt amazing and I had to get used to seeing technical and rather speeding up then pulling the brakes. The fork handles so well and with the high and low compressions it really copes with the climbs nicely despite the slack head angle. That goes for the frame also...

But it is built to race, it feels comfortable at speeds so aiming to get it onto the Enduro scene to really see what limits I can push... Next one is in Giba in two weeks. So if I can find some guys to go down with I will be happy as I have no keen mates. But I feel I can give those 27.5's a run for their money (well that's the plan) 

A little late, but been busy. Bike was complete about two weeks ago. Been taking it for a few good spins around town just sorting out some strange noises but all is good now. So here she is. The beast that has replaced the Pony.... My Yeti SB66

gallery_39047_1543_35069.jpg

gallery_39047_1543_426557.jpg

Honestly, I have no words... It rides like a machine. The front fork eats up anything and the longer top tube with a slack ass head angle (66.5) takes technical downhill in it's stride. Honestly the faster it goes the more comfortable it feels, it honestly comes down to how big your balls are because at times you do get a little worried. But getting used to it quickly. Surprisingly nimble in the corners only issue is the 760 bars I may want to shorten to 740 but will see. 

This build really would not have been possible without the following, just want to say thanks to some people that I would highly suggest to anyone doing a build

- Bibi at Zion Bikes 

- Matt at Dial'd bikes 

- Matt at Buycycle 

- Everyone at the hub for sourcing the frame from a great guy! 

- Linden Cycles for all my small requests when I needed little parts (great service)

- Mikes Bikes for having everything Linden didn't have (great service) 

On the shopping list soon....

- Dropper post 

- 1x10 conversion (runnning 1x9 at the moment) 

And my only concern is going that this is my first experience in tubeless. I have ripped the front tyre off the rim 3 times and the back tyre keeps on sliding out beneath me. It is concerning.... running at about 2 bar on both and the conversion was done by a great shop. So it's either the Continental tyres or just I ride too fast which can't be the case.

Hilgard at BuyCycle !