Touring bike & accesories Cape Town

distrazione

Anyone that know good cycle shop in Cape town (western Cape) that can fully equipt a bicycle for touring. panniers etc

I know there are some online shops like www.cycletouring.co.za, but I like to see the stuff I want to buy. I am one of those that need to see quality firsthand of items.

Will be doing 4 months cycle tour and need to be outfitted fully.

Any ideas to shop that can help, where I can go sit down with the shop owner and discuss what I want, and who is willing to listen to my requirements, instead of trying to sell me something they want to sell and not what I need. 

Much appreciated

http://www.revolutioncycles.co.za/    (in Bree street)

Amanda Kruger (long-term tourer) got here stuff here - don't know if they still stock panniers etc, but one can only try.

Grant at cycletouring.co.za is awesome and very knowledgeable.

Grant Usher in Jhb (Sprocket and Jack) is the Surly agent (LHT and Disc Trucker)

Otherwise, web-based buying is the way to go.

Safe travels! :thumbup:

http://www.revolutioncycles.co.za/    (in Bree street)

Amanda Kruger (long-term tourer) got here stuff here - don't know if they still stock panniers etc, but one can only try.

Grant at cycletouring.co.za is awesome and very knowledgeable.

Grant Usher in Jhb (Sprocket and Jack) is the Surly agent (LHT and Disc Trucker)

Otherwise, web-based buying is the way to go.

Safe travels! :thumbup:

Thanks you kindly, I will make some enquiries from refered places. Much appreciated

I have been looking at the Thule touring racks and panniers bags, etc. They look pretty decent and have stores around Cape Town where you can check the stuff out before buying. 

Please let me know what you find in the way of local options and prices. Also, where do you plan to spend your 4 months?

I've also been looking at some touring options. I'm keen to cycle Durban to Cape Town and I have a few European trips I'd also like to do.

Anyone that know good cycle shop in Cape town (western Cape) that can fully equipt a bicycle for touring. panniers etc

I know there are some online shops like www.cycletouring.co.za, but I like to see the stuff I want to buy. I am one of those that need to see quality firsthand of items.

Will be doing 4 months cycle tour and need to be outfitted fully.

Any ideas to shop that can help, where I can go sit down with the shop owner and discuss what I want, and who is willing to listen to my requirements, instead of trying to sell me something they want to sell and not what I need.

Much appreciated

I've got lots of touring stuff if you want to come and have a look. Pm me with what you are looking for. I'm in northern suburbs, Cpt.

Hey man,

I did a one month tour (Transkei -> CPT) last year and i was in the same position as you. Here is what i learnt:

If you want panniers, go through cycletouring.co.za and get some ortliebs, its the best price you will get them for, cant get them any cheaper if you try import them yourself either. I got the classic rollers and they are rock solid however - replace the plastic bolts / wood screws that secure the rack clipping system to the inside of the pannier with a proper bolt and a locknut, mine literally rattled out after one day on dirt roads in transkei, luckily i brought a whole lot of spare bolts which i used to replace the plastic *** that ortlieb gives you. I even emailed them and they said they havent had any issues with them before (this is ortlieb international) but yeah, rather dont take the chance and replace them before hand.

With regards to racks, any rack will do - just make sure that your bike has eyelets, and always bring spare bolts with locktight, i had one of my bottom bolts shear off which had me doing  a ghetto zip tie fix for the remaining few days.

And two back panniers with one big waterproof bag that you use on river rafting trips on top of the rack will be more than sufficient, no need for front panniers - you will end up not using half of what you bring anyway! 

Oh and chamois cream.... this will be worth more than gold ! 

PM me if you want more info!

Cheers

I have Arkel 'T42' and Old Man Mountain 'Cold Springs' - got them pre www.cycletouring.co.za days, which stock the brands these days.

I'm in CT and you are welcome to take a look & get idea of the quality of it.

I've got lots of touring stuff if you want to come and have a look. Pm me with what you are looking for. I'm in northern suburbs, Cpt.

Where about in Northern suburbs?

• 5 years later...

Hello :)

Since the communication is very old, I want to reopen the topic:

I will arrive to Cape Town on 10.4.2020 and will need some bikpacking equipment. Have done quite some bikepacking, thus I know exactly what I need and I cannot find everything on cycletouring website or is very expensive to order this through amazon etc., that's why I am turning to all of you in case one have at home something from the list below that is willing to sell to me:

1) Handlebar extended system with aerobars: see

2) Fork everything cage for 5liter dry bag (need 2)

Hello :)

Since the communication is very old, I want to reopen the topic:

I will arrive to Cape Town on 10.4.2020 and will need some bikpacking equipment. Have done quite some bikepacking, thus I know exactly what I need and I cannot find everything on cycletouring website or is very expensive to order this through amazon etc., that's why I am turning to all of you in case one have at home something from the list below that is willing to sell to me:

1) Handlebar extended system with aerobars: see

2) Fork everything cage for 5liter dry bag (need 2)

Speak to Mark at Marks Bicycle Workshop

He can order in what you want, and will fit it ????

Why not use a BOB trailer ? I look at the regular cyclist travelers passing through with their overloaded unwieldy bikes and wonder why no one uses a BOB . I have'nt done more than 4 days with mine but it is so easy . Suppose it depends on the terrain . I have an extra one if interested .

Speak to Mark at Marks Bicycle Workshop

He can order in what you want, and will fit it ????

Thank you, will contact Marks.

Edited by matic.frajnkovic@gmail.com

About the bob trailer. Yes, it depends on the terrain and for me is pretty straight forward answer for me, because I quite oftenly ride single track roads where bike must be sometimes carrier for multiple kilometers. :)

But thank you for proposition!

Edited by matic.frajnkovic@gmail.com