Why should you train with a heart rate monitor?

News bot

To reach your fitness goals and maintain them, you need to train smarter, not harder and this can be achieved by understanding your heart. Your “maximum heart rate” is the maximum number of times your heart beats in one minute. To calculate an average reading of your max heart rate, take the number 220 for men or 226 for women and minus your age. For Example 226 – 30 = 196; a 30 year old woman’s max heart rate is 196 beats per minute.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To reach your fitness goals and maintain them, you need to train smarter, not harder and this can be achieved by understanding your heart. Your “maximum heart rate” is the maximum number of times your heart beats in one minute. To calculate an average reading of your max heart rate, take the number 220 for men or 226 for women and minus your age. For Example 226 – 30 = 196; a 30 year old woman’s max heart rate is 196 beats per minute.

Oh no, did the author of this article really say that?

Oh no, did the author of this article really say that?

No wonder I ended up in the hospital last year, I was racing at 110% of my max heart rate!

That theory adds 18 years onto my life compared to what my actual max is. I prefer to do a proper fitness test.

That is the problem with the article, it does discuss that the age based calculation method could very well be inaccurate and that if you are going to train with HR that it is better to do a proper practical test, either a max HR or LTHR test.

so you dont have the money, nor the time to go for a proper fitness test, surely there must be a way of then getting your max HR ?

Well, i was pushing hard during the PPA this weekend. I was starting to feel a but fatiqued and when i looked at my garmin it was reporting a heart rate of 218bpm my max is suppose to be 185. I stopped for 5min and the groups past me by (very sad) while i rested a bit. Can this be geniune or is this a bug? Sounds a bit high to me.

so you dont have the money, nor the time to go for a proper fitness test, surely there must be a way of then getting your max HR ?

Yes, conduct your own test following a max HR test protocol or probably better do a LTHR (Lactic threshold heart rate) test as per the linked articles from Fanievb.

It would have been great if the article had explained these options, so sick n tired of seeing "lazy" articles wrt to max HR....

If I followed that I should be theoretically dead

My heart is always in the 80% of my max during training...but then again i find it kinda pointless just peddling about on my road bike. Road bike is meant to be cycled hard and fast. 

Find it so difficult to cycle with friends that are just happy doing the slow 22-24kph.

Age old story!! That formula is a very vague guideline that may work for some.....

Do a proper fitness test to avoid wasting your time!!

I was starting to feel a but fatiqued and when i looked at my garmin it was reporting a heart rate of 218bpm my max is suppose to be 185. 

Have you had a touch of flu recently?