Garmin Fenix 3

StevieL

Still absolutely loving my Fenix 3 after 4.5 years of "hard labour", whilst the battery is still good for a week or so at worst.

For me the Fenix 3 is like the Land Cruiser on the farm, one of very, very few items that are simply indestructible! 

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow ????

Update:

Took the Radar and F3 out for a proper ride today and I must say I have notably more confidence in the TT position knowing that the Radar is checking my back.

It didn't miss a single vehicle, no false positives either.

The trial version of his software covers you for 45mins. The unlimited version costs 25USD, which is a steal compared to the amount of cash you need to throw at upgrading to a Radar "compatible" device.

Tap-to-pay and on-device music will probably win me over one day, but for now the F3 is anything I can ever need in terms of sport performance, and so much more.

• 3 months later...

Had to take my Fenix 3 to Garmin today, watch was switching off everytime I pressed any of the buttons, and the altimeter seemed to have stopped working, wasn't too concerned about the altimeter  but the switching off was a problem.

Wanted to check here if anybody knows the what the current replacement costs are, I saw it was initially R2k and then I saw someone posted it costed R3k for the replacement.

Had to take my Fenix 3 to Garmin today, watch was switching off everytime I pressed any of the buttons, and the altimeter seemed to have stopped working, wasn't too concerned about the altimeter but the switching off was a problem.

Wanted to check here if anybody knows the what the current replacement costs are, I saw it was initially R2k and then I saw someone posted it costed R3k for the replacement.

Was that me? I paid 3k for a new watch. My battery is not lasting long anymore tho.

Was that me? I paid 3k for a new watch. My battery is not lasting long anymore tho.

Yeah, sorry, was lazy go go back and check who it was after I already typed my message. That's not good news... you should send it back.

Yeah, sorry, was lazy go go back and check who it was after I already typed my message. That's not good news... you should send it back.

Ja I’ll definitely have it looked at, I’m in a different country now tho and I think it could be an issue with the plug I’m using. Will charge it through my laptop at some stage and see if that changes anything.

Is that on a trade in with your Fenix 3?

Just got a quote of from Garmin for R9,658.85... to replace it with a fenix 6 Pro... WTF?

Is that on a trade in with your Fenix 3?

Doesn't really seem to be a trade in, quote states that my watch is unrepairable, and there is a 0% Discount on the the replacement... so looks like they're just quoting me a on a new Fenix 6 Pro.

Ouch that sucks, 

Doesn't really seem to be a trade in, quote states that my watch is unrepairable, and there is a 0% Discount on the the replacement... so looks like they're just quoting me a on a new Fenix 6 Pro.

That sucks.

Have a look in the classifieds, think you may have some better options there:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/watches-and-wearables/458610/garmin-fenix-6x-pro-tradeupgrade-avail

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/watches-and-wearables/452240/garmin-fenix-3

I recently had an issue with mine where after battery was fully discharged it switched on to some test screen. Didn't think much of it but then noticed GPS wasn't connecting at all. Under the "about" page software was all up to date but GPS version was 0.0.0 and EPO was expired.

Fixed it by plugging it in to laptop and Garmin express which also seemed to take forever but finally got through and did it's thing. When I unplugged it wanted to install an update and seems all good after that.

Didn't find much on the internet about it so if this helps anyone out then great :)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else had some real discrepancies wrt elevation readings?

I did an out and back run, 10k.

The first half elevation feels correct. The return part feels completely wrong.

I did notice the wind as I turned around, so my thinking is I got a tail wind going out and this was fine for the Barometer. But the headwind confused the elevation reading because it impacted the barometer.

Thoughts?

post-27827-0-38226000-1616341698_thumb.jpg

I did notice the wind as I turned around, so my thinking is I got a tail wind going out and this was fine for the Barometer. But the headwind confused the elevation reading because it impacted the barometer.

Thoughts?

This is why I got a replacement watch. Mine did the same.

Thoughts?

Yes. Last Sunday I ran an “experiment” by uploading 110km ride on both the fenix 3 and the edge 510. The fenix 3 recorded total elevation at 1278m and the 510 at 1080m. I am sure both figures are exaggerated. But the fenix 3 is definitely unhinged from reality.

maybe there’s a firmware update to fix this? I am going to plug my unit into Garmin express to check.