Is it just me or is there a pattern emerging?

Musketeer

I just have to ask this question.

Seems as if 2nd hand bikes are becoming a real business and looking at the recent posts and the recent gum tree etc ads that specific brands are being targeted.

Seems as if most of the reported thefts are from brands such as Giant, Spez and Scott?

Are these brands becoming the targets such as Toyota Hilux's en Fortuners are/ were a couple of years back or am I spearheading a conspiracy theory?  :ph34r:

If you check in the stolen bike section it does look like Spez dominates the section, whether its them being targeted or they are just so popular?

I have also been thinking this recently with the massive increase in bike assaults and hijackings taking place, what is happening to all those bikes?

If you think "they" don't care about branding you are so wrong!

I read a report on an investigation that was done on the incredibly high bike theft rates in Stellenbosch. This was about 4 years ago now but the bottom line is it's not just a bergie stealing it for tik. Bike theft is part of a massive organised crime ring. Bikes, mostly high end, are stripped and exported via trucks into Africa. After that it's anyone's guess as to where they go but it's well known that there are some big shots in the crime scene that are getting in on the action (this was confirmed by the cop that took my statements in Stellenbosch). 

I remember getting my MTB stolen the Saturday and my Giant road bike getting stolen 2 days later after using it to get around town. It was locked in a bike room with about 5 other makro style bikes. Mine was the only one to get stolen along with a wheel from one other. It would be naive to think they just steal bikes at random. Why spend your time stealing something of no value when you can spend the same time to get your hands on a pricey item?

Remember, RSA spends more on cycling per capita than anywhere else in the World. It's prime picking grounds to get the latest and greatest bikes. How many R20 000+ items are this easy to steal? You don't need to be a hi-jack expert or a hot wire genuis. You don't need to even be scary or good at it. Did anyone think that guy that robbed a cyclist and then looked into the go-pro was an expert!? Hell, if I was a criminal it would be what I stole! It's easy game!

A kingpin might be a criminal but never underestimate their ability to spot an opportunity. 

Be safe guys. And enjoy the ride :thumbup:

Edited by Stefmyster

Well, I know of a few friend of mine who's Hilux bakkies got stolen the past 6 months still so that phase is not over yet. When it comes to bikes I noticed Niners(3 in the last month) & Cannondale's(2 in the past 4 months) are also on the priority list.