Unusual hub freebody. Repairable?

JoToast

I have an old set of 26" Giant wheels that came with my Anthem (maybe from the USA). They run on no-name 24 hole hubs.

Front wheel is still perfect, but on the rear the freebody is shot; it slips.

My LBS (small town) told me it's unrepairable because spares are not available. Is this really the case? I'd love to use that rear wheel on my indoor trainer.

Thanks guys!

I had my freehub replaced a couple of months ago and was told there are a couple of standard threads for mating the freehub to the hub. I guess it depends on whether a freehub with a thread matching your hub can be found.

Post a pic of the freehub on this thread. Hopefully one of the resident gurus can recognize the model & confirm whether replacements are available.

Try the guys at Omnico, the managed to find a replacement freehub for my no name brand hubs from a photo. Cost me a mere R200

Front wheel is still perfect, but on the rear the freebody is shot; it slips.

Slips could mean that the internal pawls are stuck "open" or the pawl springs need replacment/tweaking or the freebody internals are just dirty and sticky. Repair thus possible. In Jeffrey's - Not sure

Some of the older ones (loose balls) were Formula hubs.  The sealed bearing ones were probably DT Swiss.  Will require some detective work to find the exact one you need.  Someone may have locally but you can get on the net.  If it is the loose ball type the freehubs were pretty poor. They developed a lot of play and noise.

Some of the older ones (loose balls) were Formula hubs.  The sealed bearing ones were probably DT Swiss.  Will require some detective work to find the exact one you need.  Someone may have locally but you can get on the net.  If it is the loose ball type the freehubs were pretty poor. They developed a lot of play and noise.

had to replace one (giant) a while ago was told its a formula, ended up having to buy a complete hub as I couldn't get the freewheel body on its own

Try this - soak the freehub in Laquer thinners for a day or so - jiggle around every hour or so and spin it.

Take it out and let it dry for a day - then soak it (under the level) in engine oil for a day) spinning it occasionally.

See if it starts working again.... this has worked for me a couple of times on shimano freehubs - they are still running fine now...