Berg and Bush 2015

Ratty

Temperatures were reaching 38/39degC today with some serious wind gusts.

Riders were hydrating well to prevent dehydration, however over-hydration can just be as dangerous and fatal.

Unconfirmed fatality at B&B today related to hydration.

Be careful out there people......if in doubt, rather sit out, and ride another day.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Riders were hydrating well to prevent dehydration, however over-hydration can just be as dangerous and fatal.

Be careful out there people......if in doubt, rather sit out, and ride another day.

Wow, really sad news. Condolences to the family of cyclest.

Word of warning. Stay well to the left on Great Wall My China! Even on calm days the wind is normally pumping on that escarpment. There are some places on GWMC where a 100 m plus fall awaits you if you get blown over.

Organisers forced riders to go left because of wind.

Oh no.. that's is very sad.. RIP

Condolences to the family! The heat is never something to mess around with in endurance sports.

Paul passed away yesterday after the race . Condolences to his wife , children and brother that was his race partner . 

Competent rider ( Sub 3hrs road and MTB skilled) available to fill in for someone pulling out of ride. He is willing to pay substitution fees for the 2day this weekend.

Contact Dave Douglas on 0724306730 if you still want to ride as a team.

Posted on behalf of Dave.

Thanks Hubbers

Paul passed away yesterday after the race . Condolences to his wife , children and brother that was his race partner . 

RIP fellow cyclist.  Very sad.

Any idea what the cause of death was?  

Why I ask is one of the riders on the Descent had his blood pressure go through the roof because of dehydration.  He was airlifted in the helicopter 4km's from the end of stage 2 and put on a drip.  Has never previously had issues with blood pressure. 

Just wondering if this was the same? 

Apparently dehydration causes your blood to thicken making it harder to move around your body which then raises your blood pressure. 

Paul did not feel 100% before the race but a few km in he started to feel better . But after 2nd water point he complained that he felt weak and they slowed down the pace . At Mnandi village he got very ill and lost consciousness . A doctor on bike stopped to assist until the medics arrived . He passed away in the medical tent . Cause unknown at this stage .

Paul did not feel 100% before the race but a few km in he started to feel better . But after 2nd water point he complained that he felt weak and they slowed down the pace . At Mnandi village he got very ill and lost consciousness . A doctor on bike stopped to assist until the medics arrived . He passed away in the medical tent . Cause unknown at this stage .

Man, that is so tragic.

I've ridden before when I shouldn't have and looking back, and especially when I read this, it gives me shivers. Things can go wrong so quickly.

Again, condolences to all. Sounds like you knew him?

So very sad, condolences to his friends and family.