Statement regarding alternative routes for 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

what's the latest they can start laying out the typical route stuff like toilets and stands?

last year the fences and stuff were in place on the Friday and then put up late saturday night.

BUT - they need lead times for this.

And if they are going to cancel - they need to think about the expo as well.

I am just glad I dont have to decide.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In previous years, the erection of scaffolding for television camera's, spectator stands, etc. started on the preceding Wednesday/Thursday. As Slowbee says, the fencing material were on site by Friday and erected late on Saturday, together with the placing of hay bales on dangerous corners such as in Sea Point. Toilets are on site on Friday.

I'm a non smoker and despise smokers throwing buds out the window. But how do they know it was started by a cigarette ? These soaring temperatures could have been a factor.

I think it is strategy to use in govt. anti-smoking campaign.

That said, I'm really hoping that chapman's is cleared for the event. and thoughts go out to all the families, fire-fighters, and volunteers.

In previous years, the erection of scaffolding for television camera's, spectator stands, etc. started on the preceding Wednesday/Thursday. As Slowbee says, the fencing material were on site by Friday and erected late on Saturday, together with the placing of hay bales on dangerous corners such as in Sea Point. Toilets are on site on Friday.

Scaffolding was up in town yesterday already

According to Bellairs on KFM this morning, stakeholders will be meeting at 11am. Meeting will take most of the day. A decision HAS to be made today on route etc for logistic reasons! So lets just wait until this afternoon and see what transpires!

According to Bellairs on KFM this morning, stakeholders will be meeting at 11am. Meeting will take most of the day. A decision HAS to be made today on route etc for logistic reasons! So lets just wait until this afternoon and see what transpires!

In the meantime, the hub members will speculate :P

JUST CANCEL THE DAMN RIDE!

it is insignificant in light of what is happening.

For People coming from outside the country to ride, sorry you will have to wait for next year.

Really!! If I was booked to go over to another country to ride and it got canceled because of extraordinary events that would be understandable.

People can be so selfish.

Let the Lifestyle Expo Happen, that doesn't matter!

They can donate my entry fee to the fund. Will not be upset if it is cancelled. We can always ride next year. People lost big time. SAD SAD SAD.

Agreed

If I were the organisers I would postpone the race till say May.  For those that cannot accommodate that, I would carry their entry over till next year.

I think it might be a tad insensitive to have such a big cycle race around areas where there is so much devastation, and making organisation of rescue and recovery even more difficult.  It might turn non-cyclists even more against us if we are seen to be insensitive to the situation.

Edited by Moridin

Just got this email...

CAPE TOWN CYCLE TOUR TRUST ESTABLISHES FUNDRAISING ACCOUNT TO BENEFIT TWO KEY FIRE FIGHTING SERVICES BATTLING TO BRING FIRE UNDER CONTROL 

The Cape Town Cycle Tour traditionally passes through some of the most pristine natural areas that the city has to offer. The devastating fires currently raging through the mountains of the Southern Peninsula are being bravely fought by a large number of volunteer wildfire staff and other volunteers.

The Cycle Tour shares the concerns of the local community and joins in rallying behind these heroic fire fighters. To help support them, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust (CTCTT) has decided to introduce a mechanism via which both Cycle Tour entrants and members of the public can help support this worthy cause. 

The CTCTT has opened a bank account and is calling for donations which will be allocated equally between the Volunteer Wildfire Services and Sanparks Fire Fighting initiatives. The Cycle Tour appeals to entrants and the general public, who are willing and able to make donations, to do so via the following methods: If you are registered on the Cycle Tour database, use the following link to donate via credit card: https://online.entries.co.za/entries/findperson.aspx?&eid=3381

Those who are not on our database, wishing to donate money can make payment to the following bank account. 

This is a secure account that is held in the name of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust: 

Account holder: Event Entry Admin 
Bank: Nedbank 
Branch: Rondebosch (123209) 
Acc Number: 1232144355 
Acc Type: Cheque 
Reference: Name and Surname or Company Name 

The money raised will be handed over by the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust to both the beneficiaries at the end of March. We would like to extend our sincere thanks to the brave men and women who have spent many hours under incredibly difficult circumstances trying to contain the fires.

Best wishes & safe cycling,

Cape Town Cycle Tour Team
Call us: 087 820 7223

APPEAL TO ALL CYCLISTS: I know we have all trained very hard for the Cape Town Cycle Tour. I say just cancel the Tour, too much has been lost and out of respect for those trying to re-organise their lives I think it is only respectful to do so. How do I ride through the tarnish on Sunday trying to enjoy myself knowing that many lives have been affected, not forgetting the amount of animal life lost. I say keep the entry fee and use it to restore what has been lost... #CapeTownisburning Share, Tag, Tweet, Whatsapp.... get the message out there. 

With disaster management there are many back up plans otherwise Disaster Management will not allow the race to continue (any race) . These plans are set in place long before any disaster actually happens, They definitely don't react after the fact.

There are backup plans after backup plans after backup plans.

The alternate routes have obviously been marked , I think at this point it's just which one will be used.  

I think it might be a tad insensitive to have such a big cycle race around areas where there is so much devastation, and making organisation of rescue and recovery even more difficult.  It might turn non-cyclists even more against us if we are seen to be insensitive to the situation.

This is a really good point.

Anything that could possibly hamper the emergency processes going on should not be allowed, and if that means cancelling a cycling race (even a big one), then so be it.

Cost to competitors is irrelevant.