Statement regarding alternative routes for 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, why is there such a strong perception that the race will be cancelled.  Can one not ride next to a piece of land that burned down?

excuse my ignorance, I live in the highveld and have ridden through hundreds of fields that burn down every winter.  I understand that the fynbos is a different kettle of fish to the highveld grasslands, but is it really not possible to ride there?

Nothing stopping the Cycle tour from going along there, just the risks of Mudslides should there be rain, Ash that can be blown up by South Easter Wind, Rocks that could have been dislodged by heat from fire on mountains.

Just curious, why is there such a strong perception that the race will be cancelled.  Can one not ride next to a piece of land that burned down?

excuse my ignorance, I live in the highveld and have ridden through hundreds of fields that burn down every winter.  I understand that the fynbos is a different kettle of fish to the highveld grasslands, but is it really not possible to ride there?

The problem is the fact that roads are normally closed for the race with cyclists all over the road.  That will make rescue and recovery operations very difficult.

The problem is the fact that roads are normally closed for the race with cyclists all over the road.  That will make rescue and recovery operations very difficult.

and the fact that it is still burning and it does not look like it will be done anytime soon.

I think the greatest concern would be whether or not the fires are under control/extinguished by Sunday - its a question of smoke inhalation for cyclists and access to flash points by emergency services. The latest and greatest threat at the moment would probably be the Cape Point fire.

Friend of mine just went through Noordhoek and the following signage was erected:

Cycle Tour

City/Noordhoek

(via Ou Kaapse Weg)

06h45 15h30

Sun 8 March

So i take it it is OKW M3 to finish...

Edited by Rifi

Friend of mine just went through Noordhoek and the following signage was erected:

Cycle Tour

City/Noordhoek

(via Ou Kaapse Weg)

06h45 15h30

Sun 8 March

So i take it it is OKW M3 to finish...

Or they're just covering themselves...  Just in case

and looking outside the office, these guys are very busy with the start line scaffolding....

Question: What about the stands at the expo? Are they not suppose to be preparing today already? Is that happening?

Those signs have been up for a couple of weeks, standard for OKW to be closed for the tour! Nothing new!

The biggest problem is entry and exit for emergency vehicles as having Main Road, Ou Kaapse and Chappies closed could be a disaster with 35000 cyclists on the road!

and looking outside the office, these guys are very busy with the start line scaffolding....

Question: What about the stands at the expo? Are they not suppose to be preparing today already? Is that happening?

Saw photos last night on FB of guys building their stands for the expo.

Yeah they've all been setting up since Monday.