NEW Power Meters from PowerTap

BicyclePower

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to this. I love my current power tap because it gives me consistent no fuss power and the support by bicycle power is great. Just hope this new one will be light enough to race on and wont only provide one legged  power.

What's the advantages of this product over Stages power Meters?

Stages only measures the power being delivered by your left leg. Very few people have a 50:50 balance between left and right leg power, hence stages cannot compete with hub or crank based systems in term of accuracy.

That doesn't mean that you should rule out Stages power meters. As long as they offer consistent readings, and Stages power meters do, you can still set your power zones and get the benefits of training with power.

A problem only arises when you use both a Stages and a crank/hub/pedal based power meter, as feeding the outputs into the same training application skewers the figures (i.e. TSS/TSB)...unless you're one of the few people with a 50:50 power delivery.

Just wondering what it would mean in real terms if you only measure on one leg and don't have 50:50 power distribution? I mean would you change your training or analysis thereof based on this info for example ..........

Precision 4iiii is a Similar unit to stages, except that you can fit it yourself to both cranks and costs $750 odd dollars for both, much cheaper than stages, and gives both leg power.

If power tap can come in at that price, then we are in business!

Using power tap on my mtb, works great.

Hoping to get a cost effective system for my road bike, so let's see what happens.

Just wondering what it would mean in real terms if you only measure on one leg and don't have 50:50 power distribution? I mean would you change your training or analysis thereof based on this info for example ..........

If you only use a Stages power meter, you won't have a problem. You'll get your threshold power (FTP) using the Stages, and set all your training zones accordingly, as a result your training application will give you accurate calculations relating to your training stress scores, intensity factors, etc. You'll be able to accurately plot your progress.

An issue only arises if you don't have a perfect left/right leg power balance, and you're comparing Stages outputs to powertap/SRM readings.

If you only use a Stages power meter, you won't have a problem. You'll get your threshold power (FTP) using the Stages, and set all your training zones accordingly, as a result your training application will give you accurate calculations relating to your training stress scores, intensity factors, etc. You'll be able to accurately plot your progress.

An issue only arises if you don't have a perfect left/right leg power balance, and you're comparing Stages outputs to powertap/SRM readings.

Thanks!

Stages only measures the power being delivered by your left leg. Very few people have a 50:50 balance between left and right leg power, hence stages cannot compete with hub or crank based systems in term of accuracy.

That doesn't mean that you should rule out Stages power meters. As long as they offer consistent readings, and Stages power meters do, you can still set your power zones and get the benefits of training with power.

A problem only arises when you use both a Stages and a crank/hub/pedal based power meter, as feeding the outputs into the same training application skewers the figures (i.e. TSS/TSB)...unless you're one of the few people with a 50:50 power delivery.

no one ever maintains 50;50 power balance any way so its entirely possible to smooth out the data with software and deliver the same accuracy. In fact users of Stages who also use PT, claim stages is just as accurate.

The only issue I can kinda foresee with the 4iii's system is the DIY component to the setup, and yes they have made jigs etc to get placement right but there is still room for errors to creep into the installation.

I can say the PowerTap is releasing some more "in demand" systems soon and while I cannot comment on pricing they are going to carry on the PowerTap motto of tested trusted true. They always put accuracy first, then comes consistency and reliability, because with out these two other components the formula falls apart.

Stages for example has a known issue with the battery cap and water damage, so whats the point of consistent figures when the thing can't last past 6 months? I know warranty etc but when the warranty has expired then what?

no one ever maintains 50;50 power balance any way so its entirely possible to smooth out the data with software and deliver the same accuracy. In fact users of Stages who also use PT, claim stages is just as accurate.

I also know people who have had readings of up to 20% difference between stages/PowerTap. So it is fine like it has been said: if you are basing all your training off an inaccurate but consistently inaccurate system, then instead of your FTP being 250 it may be 220...but at least its its consistently 220...

We ran the PT and the Stages together on several rides.  We found about 2w on the avg watt measurement difference over an hour.  Nothing to cry about

The only issue I can kinda foresee with the 4iii's system is the DIY component to the setup, and yes they have made jigs etc to get placement right but there is still room for errors to creep into the installation.

I can say the PowerTap is releasing some more "in demand" systems soon and while I cannot comment on pricing they are going to carry on the PowerTap motto of tested trusted true. They always put accuracy first, then comes consistency and reliability, because with out these two other components the formula falls apart.

Stages for example has a known issue with the battery cap and water damage, so whats the point of consistent figures when the thing can't last past 6 months? I know warranty etc but when the warranty has expired then what?

I have had my stages now for 11 months.  Almost a year. 

I wash my bike weekly.

I ride in the rain.

No issues with water damage.  The rubber seal had issues about 2 years ago when they launched but they have sorted it out.  I have had no problems what so ever.

I also know people who have had readings of up to 20% difference between stages/PowerTap. So it is fine like it has been said: if you are basing all your training off an inaccurate but consistently inaccurate system, then instead of your FTP being 250 it may be 220...but at least its its consistently 220...

have seen the same variance between similar model power meters, crank and hub based. That's  just a power meter thing