Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

so since its less than half the distance, will half the entry fees go somewhere else other than organiser coffers? there been plenty of calls for the fees to go toward the volunteer firefighters. Granted, plenty of recipients for the funds, but its still half the distance at full distance price....

edit: spindoctor ranted before i could hit enter ;)

Edited by Capricorn

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you greatly simplify the options available to the CTCT organisers. I don't think that "alternative routes" ever include an entire 109km route in addition to the normal one. There must be some alternative stretches, e.g. Ou Kaapse Weg + Constantia neck for incase Chappies proves unusable. But to have an entire full length route in reserve seems impossible: think of all the community liaision, permissions etc you would have to have in place to get full road closures for a full route? The organisers also clearly stated that the emergency services and city officials are under severe strain because of the fires and there simply are not enough resources to fully support a massive event like the tour and still keep the fires out of our houses. It is definitely not just about choosing a piece of road and blocking it off...

As for the support services: last night we sat on our stoep watching a new fire start just above Ocean View when none of the main fires were even close to it. Today: a new fire in Cape Point. Can you even imagine under what strain the city's resources are?

I here you, but this is where I see a city and the trust showing just how world class and how good they really can be. Community by in - in under one day. Make things happen in under one day. It has been done before!

Turn off the high way and ride through the lower burbs (not ride as it is still a ride for solidarity and not a race), come back through woodstock and the lower burbs.

So, I am tagging 10 people along from the UK for this....ZAR/km I hear you say...

Might bolt on a long ride on our own after the 47km....

This is ridiculous, have you worked out the entry per km, surely a shorter route = no where near what we paid!  If we have complained in the past how entry fees have got out of hand, this may be "unavoidable" but really 47km at the entry we paid!

This is ridiculous, have you worked out the entry per km, surely a shorter route = no where near what we paid!  If we have complained in the past how entry fees have got out of hand, this may be "unavoidable" but really 47km at the entry we paid!

you are probably going to bitch about the goodie bag too.

Dark cloud - silver lining...

We're gonna "do it for the fireman". No timing necessary. We'rew gonna ride there and back so no parling issues. We'll certainly stop along the route and quaff a beer or two.

When life gives you llamas - make llamanade!

What a ride and a great " VIBE " it's gonna be. It may never be this way in some of us's cycling careers again: ENJOY !!!!!!

As I type this people I know in Joburg are cancelling their flights and accom. This is a huge f-up. Going to have major implications for the city.

Don't worry, the massive fire which has been going for 4 days has already covered the "implications".

I am DEFINITELY riding this route twice to make sure I don't waste my time... If they want to be fulla crap at the start, I will jump back on my bike in Woodstock on Nelson Mandela blvrd... How will they then know its my 2nd lap?? I can just say I started late with my friend.... I am going to make a day of it...

oh yes, on the 2nd lap I will stop at ALL massage spots too!!!

To all the guys complaining. Do they have a gun to your head saying you must race/ride? I'm still in joburg and I will fly down and I will ride and I will enjoy it and I will be back next year. People lost their houses and volunteers have been working flat out. Have some compassion.

Guess I'll also need a flame suit now.

The only way you can get your moneys worth on Sunday, is to rock up on your mtb. Take it easy, stop for a few beers along the way, eat, laugh, and then have more beers. Going to be a great day. My Epic 29er can take two water bottles, that equals 2 x beers. Happy me.

Hahah PPA need to give at least half the entry money back I reckon. I would feel a bit unhappy about paying full entry price for this flattish half a tour.