Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Well it is what it is. I think what they should do seeing no one is going to be racing for their personal best time (or shouldn't be) is let anyone who wants to, let them do two laps.  Probably find a lot will only do one and a lot won't even pitch up to ride.  The roads are wide enough to have more people on the road.  Lets just go out there and have a fun ride. 

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will they refund half our entry fee? No, it's all about making money for them. There are enough routes to do a 110km race. Stellenbosch would have been great. I spend over R10000 fir a 47km fun ride. WTF? ????? Not happy

Well, I am out. I have to drive 9ookm to do 47km. That is less than 1 and a half hour on the bike. I have nothing against the decision, but I have to count my losses. It is just not worth it for me.

I am utterly disgusted!!!  I feel for the Cape Townians, but to take this decision is a slap of in the face of the racers!  Maybe I will also ride the original route in protest!  

To all the guys complaining. .. Blah, blah

Guess I'll also need a flame suit now.

It's not about lack of compassion. It costs a pretty penny to get to cape town, it seems not much thought went in to the route. There's no rule that says the race has to stay in town. 55km inland and back. Sadly it's too close to the date for refunds on hotel and flights.

Can the locals suggest a route to head out on after the ride to make the day worthwhile?

Maybe instead of thinking of the "shortened" race-distance, we (as the cycling community) can stretch our ride distance by cycling to the affected areas & bring aid to firefighters & assisting disaster controls that's on the field right now?

something small: water, snacks, or if you're physically willing, bringing down some of the fire...

Ek is oortuig daarvan die inwoners en besighede in Paarden Eiland, Milnerton, Blouberg, Parklands, die Noordelike Voorstede ens soos een man sou vereenig om 'n alternatiewe roete in die gebied vir die fietstoer moontlik te maak in soldariteit met die areas wat deur die brande affekteer word.  Wanneer jou buurman se huis afbrand dan gee jy tog huisvesting aan hom in jou eie huis!  Dit is die minste wat jy kan doen. 

....yes we can or is Visserhok as an alternative to Suikerbossie to steep?  

the one year I don't enter and I could have finally cracked a sub-3  :w00t:

enjoy the ride guys.....for those moaners, its really not the end of the world!

Holy smoke I'm glad that I'm not married to half of you lot. All this bitching just gave me a headache! I'm also coming from jhb and also paid R6k for the weekend, but no, I don't expect them to refund me, I don't expect them to tolerate me for another lap on what is going to be a very congested road and even thought I'm disappointed in the situation but to start slinging insults at the organisers... Can't wait, gonna be great!

It's not about lack of compassion. It costs a pretty penny to get to cape town, it seems not much thought went in to the route. There's no rule that says the race has to stay in town. 55km inland and back. Sadly it's too close to the date for refunds on hotel and flights.

Can the locals suggest a route to head out on after the ride to make the day worthwhile?

After the race, through to town (it'll be relatively quiet) up buitengracht and Kloofnek and then left up the road to table mountain cableway (Tafelberg road) to the end, then back down and up Signal Hill Road on the other side of Kloofnek. Back down, then hook a right and then right again (eeffectively a 180) and down the Glen towards camps bay. Left at the stop, then down into camps bay. Left at the next stop and continue up to the top of suikerbossie, and down onto hout bay. Then around, back up suikerbossie and through camps bay, hugging the coastline all the way back to the finish area. Should add some pretty good riding for you.

Its going to be a great ride Sunday, I wouldn't have minded if it was cancelled altogether but very happy it is still going to happen, for a lot of people, even the 47KM is going to be tough.

So enjoy the vibe, Cape Town should line the streets and lets make a party, set a record for the largest party in the world, and the largest timed social cycle in the world.

Think there should be two routes...... The 47km one and then the original route for all the moaners, you just need to sign an indemnity and state that you will not require any assistance on route, medical or evacuation.

There we go all happy!

Edited by Pappa Bear