People seem to forget that the M3 is "FREEWAY" just like the N1 N2

ha just learnt something new !

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People seem to forget that the M3 is "FREEWAY" just like the N1 N2

yes, with the M5 and M4 running parallel to it. The N1 has Voortrekker road, but have you seen what the N1 looks like on Argus morning? Monday mornings have less congestion, likewise with the N2, now you want to close the road? Also consider that to get permission from SANRAL will take more than just a phone call. 

Since when does the Cycle Tour go anywhere near Blouberg?

I think he is asking the question of would people still have the same level of solidarity and acceptance of a shortened route if the same amount of fireghters and money was being spent on a fire in Blouberg.

If the fire was that big in blouberg I would be in my car driving like heck north, cause if Kouberg caught fire, my fridge would stop working for a loooooong time.

The logic of this and other similar posts doesn't stack up. Riders go in one end of the pipe and come out the other. This year the pipe is shorter but the rate of feed into the pipe is identical.

As you also said, once is the pipe some will now race harder, some will ride slower but probably overall the average speed will be the same.

Although this is my first CTCT, my understanding is that congestion happens specifically where the road surface narrows and there are a number of well known spots on the CTCT.

Logic points to exactly the same congestion as in previous years.

EXACTLY, I can't believe people can't engage brain before moaning.

Why will it be congested? all logic points to the other direction.

*the pros will be on the road for 60mins and then in the tents for the rest of the day. most other people will do a higher average speed than the full route.

*100% of the route is on double lane highway with massive shoulders

*lots of these self important cyclists won't now be riding due to their 'principles'.

The guys who entered for a 2nd charity lap should have been allowed to do it.

LIKE - I was just about to post this picture, this is a tragedy.. not a shortened Argus.. grow up and stop moaning about the money\Training time\Etc you are "losing"..

I say for every kilometer we ride on Sunday, we attach a monetary fund and donate to those affected!

Hi Guys, does anyone know if times for this year will be considered when they calculate seedings for 2016?

Thinking of dropping back to join the Mrs and take it easy with her but don't want to shoot myself in the foot for a seeding next year!

I see all the brilliant ideas. Just remember due to the fire emergency services and disaster management is busy and the resources are needed for the areas effected by the fire. Its selfishness to expect a full cape cycle tour. Rather be gratefull you did not have to evac your homes and go to sleep in smoke. This week was terrible and sad. The worst was to try to get to firestation to drop of stuff they needed with cyclist still on main road practicing.With Main road the only road open at times. Those that criticise the new route, clearly only think of themselves. Take a moment and think of our volunteers and emergency services including disaster management in cape town that worked without stop since sunday. Just also remember those people are needed for a big event like the full version of the argus and for the fire. I just want to thank disater management of cape town, the volunteers and all emergency services for working since sunday without proper rest and thanks you to your families at home.

Argus Lite .. it's short, but you can ride it !

I haven't read all the related posts on the subject, but this is what has been suggested by my entered club mates (with a big thumbs up) saying that we all ride to the event, leaving Edgemead at 7am (we'll forgo the early start times for those that have), start in whatever relevant later start groups we can, thus giving most of us a nice sleep in, a really chilled ride with most of our club mates in a bunch, and a breakfast after ....

SO, having this kind of atttitude/spirit (and I'm sure we won't be the only ones) we are sure to see a kind of pyramid structure taking shape to the volume of riders in each bunch, with the early start groups having less riders, the middle groups swelling quite a bit in number, and the later groups a fair bit larger too. It's going to be interesting to see this all unfold against the planned logistics.

Just came from a cycling meeting.  So I was not far off.  There was just no way that they could have ventured into Muizenberg and onwards.  Maybe the organisers can sweeten the deal by giving us a discount on next year's  entry fee, or give all of us first option for an entry.

Or they can just pre-enter all of us for next year .... and gibe us a week to decide if we want to ride or cancell so that the entry can go to another perosn ......

EXACTLY, I can't believe people can't engage brain before moaning.

Why will it be congested? all logic points to the other direction.

*the pros will be on the road for 60mins and then in the tents for the rest of the day. most other people will do a higher average speed than the full route.

*100% of the route is on double lane highway with massive shoulders

*lots of these self important cyclists won't now be riding due to their 'principles'.

The guys who entered for a 2nd charity lap should have been allowed to do it.

+ 1000

Fokit but the okes from Cape Town can *** and kerm about everything

With the mountain burning what do they now use to get on to their high horses?

Why can't the route do the 47km loop and then go on the M26 (De Waal) and join after Camps bay (via Bakoven), go to Houtbay and back again along normal route to finish? Cyclist are not complete morons, we can manage to ride on one road in both directions.

Not exactly. The further the race goes the further it gets "stretched out" because the faster riders that started first pull away from the slower ones that started later. After 25 km the race is still much "denser"  than it will be after 75 km. Any sharp turn or narrow section at 25 km will cause much more congestion than after 75 km. That's my 2c worth of logic anyway. (It is clearly demonstrated in mountain bike races with bits of single track.) 

I don't follow chief. How is the 47km now going to be any worse than the first 47km of the full 109km? 

We sepnding more time reading and posting on this thread than most of us will ride on Sunday ......

Lets just go out there and ride... enoy the short ride .... and go and help with the fire .....

Yes i am disappointed ... but gonna make the best of the day and still make it special for my 12 year old first CTCT .....  

Why can't the route do the 47km loop and then go on the M26 (De Waal) and join after Camps bay (via Bakoven), go to Houtbay and back again along normal route to finish? Cyclist are not complete morons, we can manage to ride on one road in both directions.

Have you ever ridden the argus? plenty of creative bunch riding happens on the second sunday of every march. if you don't believe me go read some threads here written during the week after the second sunday of every march!

Hi Guys, does anyone know if times for this year will be considered when they calculate seedings for 2016?

Edit - go for it, as long as you do other faster rides you wont be penalised

Edited by Skubarra

I don't follow chief. How is the 47km now going to be any worse than the first 47km of the full 109km? 

cause all the okes are now going to be stopping for free beer and food and making it impossible for the planned slow rider backmakrers to do the same. Thet should have parking maids and charge money if you stop your bike to long ...