Swimming Wetsuit Rental - Cape Town

RohanM

Does anybody know where one can rent a swimming wetsuit in the Cape Town area for less than R650 or 3 weeks? Or maybe a friendly owner willing to rent his?

I am looking to partake in a triathlon but cannot foresee paying R650 to rent a suit I will be using for hopefully 30minutes.

Don't train with a suit, use it only on race day. 

Rent from Terry @ xterra on the day 

Thanks, but I already spoke to Terry. They only offer rentals for periods of 0-3 weeks and plus(@R650).

Edited by RohanM

If you arent used to swimming in a suit then a training swim or two is a good idea!

Try blusmooth.com 

check the email address and mail Sally ..their rental is +- 500 for 3 months but u do pay a deposit which is refundable.

They will courier to you and back. (they in PE)

I believe this to be downright bad advice. A wetsuit impacts many factors:

1. CHAFING! You need to know where the suit will chafe to take precautions. Unless you want to cover your whole body in vaseline. (As I'm typing this, I have what looks like a hickey on my neck!)

2. Sore/Numb shoulders. If I wear my suit for the first time in a couple of month my arms get a little numb and tired.

3. Sore back. Maybe this is just me, but because of your elevated position in the water your back tends to get sore. Maybe I should just do more pilates.

4. Different position in the water - different stroke for some people.

5. CHAFING!!!

6. CHAFING!!!

Try blusmooth.com 

check the email address and mail Sally ..their rental is +- 500 for 3 months but u do pay a deposit which is refundable.

They will courier to you and back. (they in PE)

Thanks, appreciated! Will give them a try and see what their options are...

1. CHAFING! You need to know where the suit will chafe to take precautions. Unless you want to cover your whole body in vaseline. (As I'm typing this, I have what looks like a hickey on my neck!)

2. Sore/Numb shoulders. If I wear my suit for the first time in a couple of month my arms get a little numb and tired.

3. Sore back. Maybe this is just me, but because of your elevated position in the water your back tends to get sore. Maybe I should just do more pilates.

5. CHAFING!!!

6. CHAFING!!!

Good advice! Thanks. Fully aware of all these contributing factors.

Just a question though, is this a once off thing or will you be needing a suit in future?

I see that xterra will convert your rental fee into a deposit on a suit if you want to buy it after that. Seems like a good deal to me.

Just a question though, is this a once off thing or will you be needing a suit in future?

I see that xterra will convert your rental fee into a deposit on a suit if you want to buy it after that. Seems like a good deal to me.

Ya I am aware of that, thanks mate... Just weighing my options at this stage.

5. CHAFING!!!

6. CHAFING!!!

I am not sure I understand where this would be bad service.

We provide the three week rental to ensure people can try, test and train in good time as well as confirm sizing. This means a reduced risk of getting your size wrong when selecting a suit for purchase. Chafing is more technical than just the wetsuit as it comes down to application of wetsuit(have you put it on correctly), water temp, salt, skin type and hormones.

Yes your body position does change but for most of us guys with our legs dragging the extra lift in the lower body is welcomed

Yes we charge R650. We don't however ask for deposits and we certainly don't make you pay for damage incurred during your rental period. We consider the rental a learning phase and hope by the time the rental period is over you would convert your rental into a deposit.

This would mean

1)you would have a clear idea what size you are

2)you would have learned what not to do when putting on the suit

3)you would have already paid a percentage of a suit.

4)you have a support structure from us that allows you to swop suits if your training has  allowed you to become more lean. ie we allow you to size up and down if you losing or gaining weight/muscle

5)you would of purchased a product that can be traded in to upgrade if you feel you need a more technological suit that suits your development.

We meet up with a lot of new people that are trying to overcome their fears of swimming in open water. if we didn't provide this service where would new triathletes go for simple information,

It's more than just a rental of R650

We provide the three week rental to ensure people can try, test and train in good time as well as confirm sizing. This means a reduced risk of getting your size wrong when selecting a suit for purchase. Chafing is more technical than just the wetsuit as it comes down to application of wetsuit(have you put it on correctly), water temp, salt, skin type and hormones.

Yes your body position does change but for most of us guys with our legs dragging the extra lift in the lower body is welcomed

Yes we charge R650. We don't however ask for deposits and we certainly don't make you pay for damage incurred during your rental period. We consider the rental a learning phase and hope by the time the rental period is over you would convert your rental into a deposit.

This would mean

4)you have a support structure from us that allows you to swop suits if your training has  allowed you to become more lean. ie we allow you to size up and down if you losing or gaining weight/muscle

5)you would of purchased a product that can be traded in to upgrade if you feel you need a more technological suit that suits your development.

We meet up with a lot of new people that are trying to overcome their fears of swimming in open water. if we didn't provide this service where would new triathletes go for simple information,

I believe there has been a slight misunderstanding :-)

My comment was aimed at the "Don't train with a suit, use it only on race day." part of that statement. I.E. don't just get a wetsuit two days before the race and use it only on race day. Spend some time in it before.

I believe your service is perfect for what the OP wants, and it will allow him to get used to the suit and get fitment right. It's how I bought my wetsuit from you  :thumbup:

well then you better come round to my stand at the IM expo to collect the apology and race cap;)

Pm me if you not coming will courier to

You.

This would mean

I had my heart set on an Orca suit for next tri season because I love all of my Orca products, but from other peoples opinions and the way you seem to deal with people Im going to get an xterra instead.

I will get hold of you later in the year when Im closer to fighting size for 70.3 and chat wetsuits.

I had my heart set on an Orca suit for next tri season because I love all of my Orca products, but from other peoples opinions and the way you seem to deal with people Im going to get an xterra instead.

I will get hold of you later in the year when Im closer to fighting size for 70.3 and chat wetsuits.

I got my first suit from Terry as per his usual: get the chance to try out, swop, buy used etc.

At some stage he started selling tri suits and tops too. When I inquired, he came to my house in Noordhoek (35km from CT) and brought some samples to try on. I looked like the Oros man in the suits. We giggled a little, he took his clothing and went home.

It is a man who has a completely different understanding of customer service than the rest who does something like this.