• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Red and black is really passe in the mtb world as far as I can tell. Surely they could have delivered something a little more interesting. All those visual references to come to the same conclusion as so many before. Red, black and white go together well. Grief its like no one who rides a bike has ever heard of colour theory.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/10/learn-the-basics-of-color-theory-to-know-what-looks-good/

You clearly can't tell much.....

Red and black is really passe in the mtb world as far as I can tell. Surely they could have delivered something a little more interesting. All those visual references to come to the same conclusion as so many before. Red, black and white go together well. Grief its like no one who rides a bike has ever heard of colour theory.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/10/learn-the-basics-of-color-theory-to-know-what-looks-good/

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131126074804/spinpasta/images/5/50/Nobody-cares-spongebob.jpg

Love the look, can't wait to see the finished product.

Edited by Vangar

Judging from the pic, it looks like a clear coat over the steel and not a full colour over ?

Few things been bugging me on the Hub and apologies for doing it on this thread:

I guess the point is this is a "private thread" so whilst I also don't like the colour combo (my own bike is red/black and I'm over it) I don't come TO the thread for the sole purpose of slamming the guy's idea's.

Same way I feel about PYGA's.  I like the bikes but I find it hilarious how everyone pretends it's still a boutique brand and love slamming other "Big Brands".  They're everywhere. For good reason.  They're great quality bikes.  Doesn't mean that the R60k you pay for your build is not the same R60k someone paid for a "big brand" bike.

Same way I feel about some people on the Hub (and this very thread) who feel the incessant need to go to someone's "Look at my new bike" thread and tell them how often their own one broke or how much they hated it.  That's not being helpful.  That's going to a kid's birthday party, looking at his new bike and promptly telling him how sh*t it is.

To Ben Graham: Build your own damn bike and spray it whatever the hell colour you want.

Judging from the pic, it looks like a clear coat over the steel and not a full colour over ?

sorta like how intense does their black chrome stuff... (on Omega's Intense)

interesting. I want to see it even more now.

And my Summer Season .... if it is clear over steel Iwan, then that frame must be really really sexy in the daylight!

Just like mine with clear over steel :P

I like Iwan and his build threads, this bike is going to be hawt hawt hawt!

The fact that the grips are missing from the top picture must have seriously pushed some OCD buttons!

Really? You took time out your day to come and write this onto someone's custom build thread. You must be a really good person in real life.

Sure, you're welcome to your opinion. I suppose the inside voice was temporarily out of commission.

Wow. So much for open debate. You do realise that as soon as you make a personal character attack like that you completely invalidate the strength of your argument.

Lets all just agree all the time. Won't that be fun. Sometimes I troll, in this case I was simply being frank. I'm also not the only one on the internet who feels this way apparently.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/why-is-all-bike-stuff-black-and-red

I stand by what I said. If you are looking for something unique; red black and white isn't it. You may love it and be very happy and that's great who am I to say otherwise but frankly I wasn't making a personal attack I was making an observation.

Also I never said the bike looked rubbish which it doesn't infact it looks great but it still doesn't scream "I'm the only one of my kind". If you attack people for not sharing your opinion you merely stifle the potential for real innovation and creativity at every level and create a boring homogenized culture.

And finally yes, I took a moment out of my day to comment on something that was put on a public platform encouraging discourse. Not only that I commented on something that appears to be an advertorial for Mercer bikes. I like the fact that a South African is building these amazing machines. But I also feel far too often the line between advertorial and forum thread is all too murky. TheHub creates trends, its only a matter of time before lots of these are riding around. Thus if I ever hope to own a bike that isn't black red and white I'd better voice my opinion now in this open platform in the hopes that some bike manufacturer notices.

Case in point: The vipa custom builds descended into a hilarious circus where the powers on the hub basically pushed the bike as the answer to every possible scenario. The underlying message being that whatever you ride is insufficient. You need to take out a loan and buy a Vipa or your life will never be complete. And guess what that bike was black red and white too. Lets all just remember that culture is driven by opinion. Opinion requires that someone disagrees with you. Unfortunately I read a book in 2007 called Culture Jam which makes me balk at most marketing exercises. I used to take the approach that if I had nothing nice to say I shouldn't say anything. But that resulted in me being railroaded by people who weren't afraid to voice their opinions so lately I've been telling people what I think when I think it.

Have a nice day.

Don't worry I'm done discussing this. Nothing more to see her.

Except the next installment of awesome build thread.... Plenty to see here for the rest of us boring conformists.

Iwan, please..... I for one, can't wait to see more.

Except the next installment of awesome build thread.... Plenty to see here for the rest of us boring conformists.

Iwan, please..... I for one, can't wait to see more.

:thumbup:  You'd want to be around for Part 4. You know Bogus has pulled a rabbit out of a hat when a custom frame builder / sprayer from London asks him to email details on how he's done what he's done. 

And pics. Lots and lots of pics.