JUCA to launch first ever Johannesburg commuter cycling map

News bot

Sounds great in theory, but the special cycle lanes built are been abused. I drive through Braamfontein everyday and see the vehicles parked and driving in the green "cyclists" lane. Yesterday there was even a metro car parked there. 

Not to start a helmit helmut helmet debate but i would expect someone who heads an organization that encourages others to use cycling he is noticeably without one.

http://www.iolproperty.co.za/roller/news/entry/joburg_wants_to_encourage_more

JUCA's heart may be in the right place but "profiles of commuter cyclists" like this won't endear them to ANYBODY:

"3. Do you feel cycling is dangerous? Why or why not? 

I usually jump red lights, and take nasty gaps – that’s sometimes dangerous!  It could be considered relatively safe because you know the road, the routes (ie, where to get on the shoulder etc) and you know your bike but then it’s really unsafe because sometimes there are open manholes, road construction or bad drivers.  The worst are aggressive drivers, sometimes on Jan Smuts going down hill, when cars have a whole 2 lanes to over take me they still want to get nasty because I’m playing it safe and taking up a whole lane."

• 1 year later...

Whatever cycle lanes in Jhb there are   ... /rant deleted

Edited by kosmonooit

• 6 years later...

How is this for an old topic!

Anybody have one of these maps?

Or any contact with JUCA still?

Commuting by bike in Johannesburg is like living with a tiger. It may attack you at any moment. 

No thanks. 

Riding a bicycle on Joburg roads is a suicide mission, now more than ever. Even in a car its stressful. Every day I am shocked to see how little most drivers care for the rules of the road and other users.

Occasionally I see those pathetic attempts at cycle lanes here, and reminded what a total waste of public money they are, by naive fools who quite frankly had no clue whatsoever.

10 hours ago, Zeffer said:

How is this for an old topic!

Anybody have one of these maps?

Or any contact with JUCA still?

I have a few somewhere. I haven’t any activity or engagement on JUCA channels in ages. 

Pity, I think unfortunately it was mostly driven by tertiary students who a) ended up pursuing careers and b) got worn down by the politics and bureaucracy with the powers that be.

6 hours ago, kosmonooit said:

Riding a bicycle on Joburg roads is a suicide mission, now more than ever. Even in a car its stressful. Every day I am shocked to see how little most drivers care for the rules of the road and other users.

Occasionally I see those pathetic attempts at cycle lanes here, and reminded what a total waste of public money they are, by naive fools who quite frankly had no clue whatsoever.

Riding in any city is a challenge, Joburg certainly presents some unique ones and cycling/commuting here does require grit. Certainly someone starting out riding is going to have a hard time of it.. But to call it suicidal is way over the top.

Even the cycle lanes, while a large portions fell way short, they did have an effect in a short time span of only seven years. It took Holland 40 years. The corridor between Alex and Sandton City is an incredible example of how they can work. Wits through Sophiatown and Auckland Park also provides a decent safety barrier for fair portion of commutable routes. The problem comes in with a lack of impetus for the long term and consistency. The naive fools are those who turned it into a political football. They are the culprits who have wasted public funds and pushed out people who had real vision and talent.