Touring Trips from Pretoria

Moriarty

Anyone interested in doing weekend or slightly longer out and back touring trips from Pretoria, road, off-road or mixed?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my friends and I have been doing just that in the last year or so...

What did you have in mind?

What we have done sovar:

Pta - Magaliesburg

Pta - Harties

Pta - Loskop

Nelspruit - Pta

yes !

Perhaps a little more detail as to what your preferences would be.

I would prefer to do a mixture of road and gravel/off road, riding a hybrid with mixed touring tyres, distances per day in the region of 100-150km, pace at around 20-25km/h, camping as overnight option would be great but open to staying in more expensive self catering of B&Bs, in terms of direction, North, East or West all offer possibilities................

One of my friends and I have been doing just that in the last year or so...

What did you have in mind?

What we have done sovar:

Pta - Magaliesburg

Pta - Harties

Pta - Loskop

Nelspruit - Pta

Those are all good options, when would you like to plan a similar trip, winter is slowly on it's way?

We dont ride hybrids, but mix up tar and gravel, we prefer gravel

We on full off road gear and pack a  load on the back paniers, we always do camping

Perhaps a little more detail as to what your preferences would be.

I would prefer to do a mixture of road and gravel/off road, riding a hybrid with mixed touring tyres, distances per day in the region of 100-150km, pace at around 20-25km/h, camping as overnight option would be great but open to staying in more expensive self catering of B&Bs, in terms of direction, North, East or West all offer possibilities................

I am also interested.  On road 100-150 a day sounds good, but off road is going to be very tiring, need to have fun as well.

I am more interested in doing a off road trip taking the back roads (gravel into the platteland.

Are you planning something?

I must add that I have a Road tandem as well as a Mtb tandem and would like to do these kind of trips on the tandem, preferably on the Mtb tandem, so woulnd't like to do too technical stuff.

the gravel that we have done so far is good gravel roads, here and there a little single track, but the road is never too far away.

We were wanting to do a Loskop trip again...soon

the gravel that we have done so far is good gravel roads, here and there a little single track, but the road is never too far away.

We were wanting to do a Loskop trip again...soon

Keen on that, please keep me posted.

I must add that I have a Road tandem as well as a Mtb tandem and would like to do these kind of trips on the tandem, preferably on the Mtb tandem, so woulnd't like to do too technical stuff.

When I say off road it would probably more like gravel. Your point is taken, so if there was a lot of off road i wouldn't aim so far. Not technical stuff as my hybrid has no suspension and panniers. When you say platteland do you mean the free state. I would be keen to organize a trip soon before winter comes.

Also interested, Time to do this is just a problem.

Do both MTB and Road.

Will be keeping eye on the thread.

Also interested, Time to do this is just a problem.

Do both MTB and Road.

Will be keeping eye on the thread.

I was thinking about maybe starting with weekend trips, would that solve the time problem?