Dedicated training bike

ewep

I have an old Alpina bike that, up to now, have been used for training.  The geometry is completely different from my Specialized ('cause I'm SPECIAL!).  The Alpina is fitted with 9 speed 105 vs. 10 Speed DA on the Specialized.  Should I continue using the Alpina, or would it be better getting myself a second set of wheels to race with on the Spec and just train on the Spec as well?  Do you use 2x bicycles or just 2x wheelsets?

2 * Road bike, GT with 8 sp 105/dura ace mix for training, Specialized with 9sp 105 for racing - haven't really noticed that riding the different bikes affects me when I race. I obviously have noticed that wear and tear is reduced as it is split between the bikes and I don't mind a bit of creaking, rubbing and scraping etc. on the trainer so will 'sweat' the components longer!

2 * MTB, Fuji Mt. Fuji pro HTwith XT used for most training and has been raced once or twice (when the Specialized has been out of action), Specialized FSR DS with SRAM X7 (whoohoo got the 2007 X7 RD yesterday, very nice!) for racing and long training rides. Same issue with the components as the road bikes.

I use 2 bikes with 3 sets of wheels. Its easy because they are all running 10sp setups.

In your case I would get a 2nd set of wheels for the Specialized. That or upgrade to a 10sp 105 setup, either by buying a new bike, or just upgrading the old Alpina. Im sure some dealers will be selling off the 06 Raleigh RC6000 at very good prices when the new 07 models come in, maybe you could pick up a bargain that way?

Personally i just think to ride and train on Dura-Ace every day isnt worth it, as the replacment of parts is so expensive. 105 10sp works just as well, and is about a third of the price.

Ja good question...I am lucky (?) to have 4 bikes to choose from, 2 mtb and 2 road, so I know what the issues are with regards different bikes and set-ups.

IMO if you take care to set the basic positions the same (saddle to pedal measurement and similar saddle to bar set up) then it just boils down to personal preference and how you cope with the different feel of each bike.

I tend to be lazy when it comes to swapping wheels and fiddling with brakes so I try keep it simple leave the wheels alone and not have training / racing wheel sets.

Personally I prefer to train and race on the same bike (Not sure how I landed up with 4, feel sorry for those like Crux who if memory serves me correct has about 8 ).

I usually use the Roubaix (Carbon, relaxed geometry) for the majority of road training and all racing, keeping the Exocet (Alu, racing geometry) on the indoor trainer for those *** weather days. I use different wheels on each bike and keep them on their respective bike.

Also use the Trek mtb for road work when going up mountain roads or when the roads are in poor condition due to weather and salt.

The 2 road and 2 mtbks have different gear systems (Campy vs Shimano and trigger vs. dual control) which takes a few minutes to get used to but no major deal.

SwissVan -  Also had some issues with the 2 MTB's having 'very' different gear systems, the SRAM X7 (push push low normal) and the Shimano XT (push pull) but with an XTR (high normal) RD and from a previous post you may remember that I got so peed off with it that I eventually put a 'normal' XT on and gave up on the high normal. The push push of SRAM vs push pull of Shimano XT has not been an issue though!

Big%20smile

Have only one bike & 3 wheelsets....2 training sets and one racing set....don't mind the change over from time to time tho'.....all I'm gonna do is upgrade to 105 10sp....Approve

"DTThumbs%20Up"

I had a training bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 9s. It cracked, it was a Ridley.

It's being replaced by a Pinarello Galileo.

But I'[ve been using teh Litespeed more anyways cos it's fitted with the PowerTap. Since purchasing a Powertap I can;t see the need for two wheels sets or two bikes.

No if only Powertap could make a disc brake version for the MTB....

ewep, Dit het nie vir ons gewerk nie.... kom ek vertel. Ons het twee Tandems, die MTB en el rapido, 'n pad Tandem. Ons het vir laasjaar se voorbereing vir die 94.7 al ons voorbereiding gedoen op die MTB. 'n Week voor die race het ons el rapido uit die stoor gehaal.... opgewonde want dit is ons hart se punt fiets. Die maer wieltjies en die nou handlebars was vir eers snaaks en vreemd. Gou weer gewoond geraak maar in die lang race het ek by 50 km duidelik baie ongerief begin he. M ook. Ons was so gewoond aan die geometrie van die MTB dat el rapido GEVAARLIK vreemd was. Tensy jou oefenfiets nie PRESIES dieselfde geometrie en setup het nie vergeet daarvan. Dit gaan jou styl cramp.....my 2c waarde.