FTP - whats yours?

Jay_B

The guys with powermeters will be able to provide more info on this.

The only thing I have to compare is Strava estimated power to my last test which is very close, while I know both forms of measurement isn't accurate its something to work with.

FTP 222w - 20min ftp on Cycleops fluid2 with virtual power

Strava 207w - from a 1hour all out session.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaches will review data uploaded and identify best 8min and/or 20min efforts and adjust FTP, if necessary, provided effort was not done on gradient of more than 2%. 

Firstly, how are you doing? All good or a bit shaken and stirred? All the best!

And yes, I understand the coaching aspect, but was just wondering how accurate the test is compared to actual race values.

Firstly, how are you doing? All good or a bit shaken and stirred? All the best!

And yes, I understand the coaching aspect, but was just wondering how accurate the test is compared to actual race values.

Everything is just groovy thanks! How is the adventure going? Summer soon and hope you have time to ride......loads. 

I have always achieved higher numbers in races but maybe others have different experiences. 

Out of interest, have you guys ever checked how the test FTP value compares to your best 20 min. or 60 min. segment in an actual race or very hard training ride? Is it in line?

For example, if your 20 min. test is 200w you take 95% of that, thus your tested FTP is 190w (theoretical max. FTP for one hour). But in a race, around the time of the test, you could do a max. 20 min. of 220w, but for 60 min. the max. was only 170w.

I'm using the definition from http://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/204071934-How-to-Calculate-Threshold-Power-Heart-Rate-or-Pace which states " Functional Threshold Power (FTP): Your Functional Threshold Power is by definition the Normalized Power for an all out effort of 60 minutes.  However, you can get a fairly accurate estimate of your FTP by doing an all out effort of 20 minutes, then subtracting 5% from the average power value for that interval."

if the beginning I used to better my best 20 minute power in races, but if you measure it every 6-8 weeks and keep the value up to date it should happen.

Also remember you cant take your best 20 minute power if the gradient was greater than 2%. And your max hour power in a race will be less because when in a group you try and recover as much as possible and try and save energy for the sprint.

Now on an hour TT you will notice your avg power will be close to your FTP, and when you are in a break it will also be close. Another factor to include is where you are racing stronger at the coast etc. 

I did the TOGH TT 38 km in 59min normalized power of 332, my FTP is 334 98% of FTP

2 weeks later I compete in the provincials TT and could only manager a normalized power of 326 which is 96% of FTP but now I am at altitude again

Then the next day I get into the break and rode the hardest race of my life, afterwards I check my data normalized power of 326w for 2H40 min(which is not supposed to be possible but I suppose I was hanging on to other guys wheels and the fear of getting dropped pushed me past my limits)

All 3 of them close to my FTP so I am pretty sure mine is correct for time being

Everything is just groovy thanks! How is the adventure going? Summer soon and hope you have time to ride......loads. 

I have always achieved higher numbers in races but maybe others have different experiences. 

New bike and first ride in a year and a half yesterday, so things are looking good :thumbup:

I only have hr, but I want to try my first 30 min. hr threshold test this coming saturday to see how **** I have become. I'm probably going to try to ride hard like when I had form and then blow up before the real 20 min. test ever starts :whistling:

if the beginning I used to better my best 20 minute power in races, but if you measure it every 6-8 weeks and keep the value up to date it should happen.

Also remember you cant take your best 20 minute power if the gradient was greater than 2%. And your max hour power in a race will be less because when in a group you try and recover as much as possible and try and save energy for the sprint.

Now on an hour TT you will notice your avg power will be close to your FTP, and when you are in a break it will also be close. Another factor to include is where you are racing stronger at the coast etc. 

I did the TOGH TT 38 km in 59min normalized power of 332, my FTP is 334 98% of FTP

2 weeks later I compete in the provincials TT and could only manager a normalized power of 326 which is 96% of FTP but now I am at altitude again

Then the next day I get into the break and rode the hardest race of my life, afterwards I check my data normalized power of 326w for 2H40 min(which is not supposed to be possible but I suppose I was hanging on to other guys wheels and the fear of getting dropped pushed me past my limits)

All 3 of them close to my FTP so I am pretty sure mine is correct for time being

Thanks Rasta!

Two things, I don't have a power meter yet so I'm thinking of doing a 30 min. heartrate threshold test.

Then, I found this nice route, but the nice stretch is coming back and with a slight drag (darker colour). Overall it's a 1% gradient, but there are place going to 3 or 4%, but I guess it should be fine?

post-12446-0-14254000-1459257867_thumb.jpg

probs should be ok for HR threshold but try and derive power from that wont be accurate.

Just use that HR for setting up your HR training zones

If you don't have a power meter there are always watt bikes and even shops with trainers that will measure power so you can pay just to do a once of test, or do a test and a program etc etc

Science...

Science can't measure the smile on my face. I think some guys are losing focus on why they started riding a lot in the first place.

I am certainly not mocking it having been a guinea pig at more than my fair share of lab tests in the altitude and humidity chamber, but the more I ride the less I am interested in such things.

I don't even have an odometer on my bike these days. 

Before everyone jumps on my back about performance, I still do Iron Man and stage races and xco events and marathons and running races and ultras etc and certainly don't embarrass myself, I just get to spend less time obsessing over gadgets and more time smiling....

Science...

Science can't measure the smile on my face. I think some guys are losing focus on why they started riding a lot in the first place.

I am certainly not mocking it having been a guinea pig at more than my fair share of lab tests in the altitude and humidity chamber, but the more I ride the less I am interested in such things.

I don't even have an odometer on my bike these days. 

Before everyone jumps on my back about performance, I still do Iron Man and stage races and xco events and marathons and running races and ultras etc and certainly don't embarrass myself, I just get to spend less time obsessing over gadgets and more time smiling....

100%, JB.  100% correct.

I'll be testing mine on Thursday. Have dropped about 4Kg since the last test, so hoping for at least a 5% increase, maybe 10% if I go on my training only.

Edited by geraldm24

307W at 72KG.... 4.26 Power to weight... trying to improve the power and reduce the weight slightly to about 69kg by Sani

How long does it take one to build up to those power levels?

I'm riding properly for just about a year now, started from having no endurance and very little sustainable power.

Last test was about 7 weeks ago at 222w, feel that I improved quite abit since, will do another test after emperors I think.

Another thing is that I'm using Cycleops Virtual power with the Garmin speed/cadence sensor so Im not sure how accurate this is.

No Wattbike at my local VA so no other way of testing for now.

How long does it take one to build up to those power levels?

I have no idea but I can tell you that with a lot of effort I have increased mine by maybe 20% and I am nowhere near those levels ..... Clearly I don't have it in the 'Levis' [emoji53]